Thread poster: Elke Vogelsang

Elke Vogelsang  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:56
English to German
+ ...
Mar 14, 2007

Hello,

a customer of mine would like me to translate a manual in Framemaker. I don't have Framemaker and am not (yet) willing to buy it. I know I can convert mif files with S-Tagger for Framemaker into rtf files (or ttx) for translation in Trados and convert these files back into mif after cleanup.

I was not yet involved in the post-translation work, though. What does my customer have to do? Can I be sure that everything is translated (cross-references etc.)? What layout work can my customer expect? Do the mif files I deliver after translation already look (more or less) like the end result? I don't feel too confident about not being able to have a look at the mif files I'm going to deliver and I don't want to cause too much work for my client.

Any information appreciated.
Thanks for your help.
Elke

Direct link Reply with quote

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:56
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Provided the client Mar 14, 2007

gave you mif files, then there should not be much to worry about. If you do not want to worry about tag integrity and having to verify with S-Tagger, prepare the mif files as ttx files with S-Tagger and work with TagEditor.

Your client can open the mif files directly in FrameMaker, however, some DTP work might be necessary due to target text expansion or problems with fonts.

Elke Vogelsang  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds good Mar 14, 2007

Thank you.
Elke

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Download the official guide Mar 15, 2007

Hi!

I believe a lot of these questions are answered in the official guide.
Read it first, and post your findings here:
ftp://download.trados.com/doc/english/T7STagger_en.zip

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do in Framemaker after translating mif (rtf) files in Trados

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs