Thread poster: Anne Lee

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:28
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2007

How reliable is OmniPage Pro for poor quality documents? An agency sent me a screen shot to 'prove' that the source word count of the pdf document I translated is considerably less than my translation (and also half of what they initially told me when I was asked to translate the text, which also makes me suspicious). On the legal document, each incomplete line is filled in with dashes to the end and the print is poor quality; not something even my ABBYY reader could cope with. The OmniPage analysis shows a large number of suspect words which were not added to the word count. I find it hard to believe that I would have 'added' so many words to my translation, since in my language pair, translations tend to 'shrink' rather than expand. Am I right in thinking that the OmniPage analysis may have underestimated the word count?

Direct link Reply with quote

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:28
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
We in such cases Mar 22, 2007

go by target wordcount, applying average statistical rate of wordcount difference between languages in question. Or you can go by target character count- the difference there between source and target usually does not exceed some 5 %, even if wordcount differs by 40% (as, say, between English and Estonian).

HTH,

Uldis

Anne Lee wrote:
The OmniPage analysis shows a large number of suspect words which were not added to the word count. I find it hard to believe that I would have 'added' so many words to my translation, since in my language pair, translations tend to 'shrink' rather than expand. Am I right in thinking that the OmniPage analysis may have underestimated the word count?

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:28
German to English
+ ...
suspect indeed Mar 23, 2007

I can't say from personal experience how OmniPage compares with Fine Reader on fuzzy text, but as they compete head to head, there shouldn't be a huge difference.
My other comment is: on what grounds are 'suspect' words excluded from the analysis? Most likely they are real words that OP failed to recognise correctly, rather than non-words that OP mistakenly recognised as words.
Incidentally, my only personal experience with OP was an OCRed document I once received from a client, which had been generated from a good-quality PDF document using OP. It was littered with errors, and after I complained the client provided a copy-and-paste extract from the document.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reliability of OmniPage for fuzzy documents

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs