Translating Graphs in Adobe Acrobat?
Thread poster: Patricia Rosas

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2007

A client has asked me to translate a .pdf file, including several graphs.

I've never used Adobe Acrobat, but I downloaded a trial version, and while I can annotate the file, there doesn't appear to be anyway to modify the file (or the graphs).

I've translated the text in Word, and I assume that it will be easy to convert it to a .pdf file, but am I going to have to recreate the graphs in Excel?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Direct link Reply with quote

samehme
United States
Local time: 00:06
English to Arabic
+ ...
DTP Software used Apr 14, 2007

Hi Patricia,

You need to know the layout (DTP) software used to create the document and ask the client to provide you with that for dtp work. Anyways, you'll have to recreate the graphs in your langauge yourself.

In Adobe Acrobat, go to the FILE menu, select 'Document Properties'. A dialog will show and most likely the name of the software will be there after the "Application" under the dates.

good luck

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more info, please... Apr 14, 2007

Samehme,
Thanks for replying. The client seems to be completely computer ignorant (!). I followed your instructions, and the original was a Word document.

I couldn't see this, but I'm certain that the graphs were created in Excel. I wrote to the author asking for the Excel file, and he has not answered.

All I need to do is change the labels, without changing any of the data. Do you think I'm going to have to recreate the graphs in Excel and import them into the Word document before converting it to .pdf?
Thanks,
Patricia

Satto (Roberto)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:06
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
As said before Apr 14, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

A client has asked me to translate a .pdf file, including several graphs.

I've never used Adobe Acrobat, but I downloaded a trial version, and while I can annotate the file, there doesn't appear to be anyway to modify the file (or the graphs).

I've translated the text in Word, and I assume that it will be easy to convert it to a .pdf file, but am I going to have to recreate the graphs in Excel?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hello Patty, In case you your client cannot provide the original document, there are "converter" programs that can convert your PDF to word. I use "PDF Solid Converter". Most of the times it works like a charm.
If the client needs the PDF again you can convert it from Word with the complete Adobe Acrobat software (distiller).

Hope this helps.

Roberto

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:06
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You do not have to do that Apr 14, 2007

You can write the source words in a table and the translation of it in the second column. Then you identify, where it belongs to (page number, graph name). The customer must sort it out themselves, copy and past the words into their application.
If they are so stupid to send you pdf, though they have the source in Word, they must do the additional work. They pay you only for translation.
I wish this pdf-format would never have been invented in the first place.

Regards
Heinrich

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
before I buy it ... Apr 14, 2007

Satto (Roberto) wrote:

Hello Patty, In case you your client cannot provide the original document, there are "converter" programs that can convert your PDF to word. I use "PDF Solid Converter". Most of the times it works like a charm.
If the client needs the PDF again you can convert it from Word with the complete Adobe Acrobat software (distiller).

Hope this helps.

Roberto

Roberto,
It's great to know about Solid Converter, but before I shell out money for it, I'd like to be sure that I can actually edit the labels around the image (in this case, mostly pie charts). I've always found that to edit a pie chart in Word, you have to have the associated Excel data available. Does this work around that?

Thanks!
Patti

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not this customer ... Apr 14, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

You can write the source words in a table and the translation of it in the second column. Then you identify, where it belongs to (page number, graph name). The customer must sort it out themselves, copy and past the words into their application.
If they are so stupid to send you pdf, though they have the source in Word, they must do the additional work. They pay you only for translation.
I wish this pdf-format would never have been invented in the first place.

Regards
Heinrich

Heinrich,
I'm glad it makes you grouchy, too! This person only has a vague grasp of how software works. She wants to project the .pdf (using a laptop), but while we talked she said things like, "Can't you print a copy and cut and paste the labels over it, and then I'll project that?" Well, yes, I could do my half of that, but how is she going to project a piece of paper!

Oh, I meant to add that the author has the Word and Excel documents (I hope) but I can't seem to reach him (he's in Mexico) and the professor who is arranging the talk only has the .pdf.
Patricia

[Edited at 2007-04-14 18:28]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:06
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Try Trial version Apr 14, 2007

Hi Patti,

you can download SolidConverter Trial version from http://www.solidpdf.com/ .

I don't remember if it had time limit, but it had volume limit (3 pages at a go ?) and (maybe) each converted page will have their credits at the bottom of the page.

Uldis

Just checked on their site:

Trial Limitations: 15 Days - any 10% converted, up to 10 pages

Uldis

Roberto,
It's great to know about Solid Converter, but before I shell out money for it, I'd like to be sure that I can actually edit the labels around the image (in this case, mostly pie charts). I've always found that to edit a pie chart in Word, you have to have the associated Excel data available. Does this work around that?

Thanks!
Patti

[Rediģēts plkst. 2007-04-14 18:44]

[Rediģēts plkst. 2007-04-14 18:56]

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
free is always good! Apr 14, 2007

[quote]Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

you can download SolidConverter Trial version from http://www.solidpdf.com/ .

[quote]

That's super! I didn't realize that the download is initially free. This way I'll know if it's worth the price. Do you have the standard or the professional version? Do you use the software frequently?

Thanks again to everyone for the help!!

MMUlr  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:06
English to German
+ ...
I absolutely agree, Heinrich. Apr 15, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

... The customer must sort it out themselves, copy and past the words into their application.
If they are so stupid to send you pdf, though they have the source in Word, they must do the additional work. They pay you only for translation. ...

On some occasions, when it is an interesting project for a good client, I insert the new terms into an existing image in Paint (MS Zubehör software - what is the original Microsoft name of Zubehör?). You are able to do a lot of improvement to a former 'suboptimal' graph in Paint, and also choose proper font and font size, make appropriate syllabication of words which may be too long, etc. Then you cut & paste into the translation (word) file.

Another option is to insert - in Word - text boxes with white background in order to cover the former source terms.

Regards,
MMUlr

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still searching for a solution, but everyone has helped! Apr 15, 2007

Just to let everyone know: SolidConverter worked great for text and foot notes (and it is free for 15 days, and doesn't cost a lot anyway). But the pie charts were a hash--everything was misaligned!

I found that it wasn't terribly time-consuming to create a new Excel version of the chart, but then I didn't have these odd white squares for each label that the author had used. Thanks to MMUlr, I know realize that they are probably just text boxes, so I'm going to experiment with that.

Thanks, again, everyone for sharing your ideas!

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Patricia Apr 15, 2007

In most cases I usually do what Heinrich advised (a table with source and translation terms for each image) as DTP is really the client's problem. But in rare cases when I am asked to replace the text at some illustrations I do the following:

1) using full version of Acrobat I extract the necessary pages from the pdf file;

2) open these pages one by one in Photoshop and replace the text (the way of replacing in each case depends on the images).

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Professional software for 10 bucks! Apr 16, 2007

Hi all,

I can't believe this question keeps popping up ever so often.

The solution: get a copy of Abbyy FineReader (preferably 8.0 or later) from Ebay, often available for as little as $10.

It will transform your PDF to Word, and you will be able to frame the graphics that you want to keep, while making the labels, captions etc editable. Even better than extracting the text thru Acrobat itself!

Read previous threads here:
http://www.proz.com/post/522956#522956

Best,

Jan

Satto (Roberto)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:06
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not quite Apr 16, 2007

Jan Sundström wrote:

Hi all,

I can't believe this question keeps popping up ever so often.

The solution: get a copy of Abbyy FineReader (preferably 8.0 or later) from Ebay, often available for as little as $10.

It will transform your PDF to Word, and you will be able to frame the graphics that you want to keep, while making the labels, captions etc editable. Even better than extracting the text thru Acrobat itself!

Read previous threads here:
http://www.proz.com/post/522956#522956

Best,

Jan

Got on Ebay and Abbyy Reader for 10 bucks? Not! Prices range from US $ 70 to 400
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Abbyy-FineReader_W0QQfromZR40QQfsprZ0QQsbrexpZWD1SQQsifZ1QQsofpZ4QQssPageNameZWD1S

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
free trial Apr 16, 2007

Roberto:
There is a free trial you can download of Abbyy.

However, I downloaded it, and the same thing occurred: the pie charts appear in the Word file, but they are a total mess. It will take me less time to re-create them in an Excel sheet than to struggle to straighten out all the elements and correct the type face etc.

In any case, I am grateful to everyone for sharing this information. I didn't know that I'd ever need this, so at least looking towards the future, I'm getting an idea of the pros and cons of accepting this sort of job.

Patricia

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Graphs in Adobe Acrobat?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs