I lost my favorites
Thread poster: Amy Duncan
Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 4, 2007

I just upgraded my Mozilla Firefox to the latest version and lost all my favorites. When I went to "import" there was no way to get them back...only if I had been using Explorer.

Anybody know how I can get them back?

Amy

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:18
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
try this May 4, 2007

Hi Amy,
I use Netscape on Windows XP and my favorites are located at
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
There's a folder there with extension .default. In this folder there's a bookmarks.html file which has all my favorites.
Do you have such a file? If you do, that's the file you need to import.
Maria

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't have the file May 4, 2007

Maria Karra wrote:

Hi Amy,
I use Netscape on Windows XP and my favorites are located at
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
There's a folder there with extension .default. In this folder there's a bookmarks.html file which has all my favorites.
Do you have such a file? If you do, that's the file you need to import.
Maria

Hi Maria,
I looked through all the files in Documents and Settings, and I don't have anything like that, sorry to say.

Amy

United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
troubleshooting May 4, 2007

Amy,
take a look at this webpage: http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/fflostbkmk.html
Let me know if it helps; if not I'll keep looking.
Maria

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hope they're not gone forever! May 5, 2007

I tried that website, but I couldn't follow the instructions because I only have 3 folders in Documents and Settings: Administrator, All Users and Amy. And within these folders I couldn't find any of the things listed for XP users.

I really appreciate your help, by the way!

Amy

United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
one last try May 5, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:

I tried that website, but I couldn't follow the instructions because I only have 3 folders in Documents and Settings: Administrator, All Users and Amy. And within these folders I couldn't find any of the things listed for XP users.

Yes, I have 3 folders too. My "Owner" folder probably corresponds to your "Amy" folder. Go to "Amy", click on Tools -> Folder options -> View tab. One of the options there is "Hidden files and folders". Select "Show hidden files and folders" (2nd option). Now do you see a folder called "Application Data" under "Amy"?

Tatiana Neamţu
Romania
Local time: 22:18
English to Romanian
+ ...
Try Mozilla website May 5, 2007

It happened to me several times. You surely din not lose them. However I cannot guide you through the process, because I forgot how I did it and only when I am in great stress I manage to perform the operation. I remember though that I did it using the Mozilla website; there was a link there that guided me through.
I'm sorry I could not be of more help

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Partial member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Make a system restore May 5, 2007

If I am right, you have Windows XP. This useful function has saved me (or better my data) many a time.

Of course, you will loose the upgrade of Firefox, but at least you should recover your bookmarks.

To learn more:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

Good luck!

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, I tried this... May 5, 2007

Maria Karra wrote:

Amy Duncan wrote:

Yes, I have 3 folders too. My "Owner" folder probably corresponds to your "Amy" folder. Go to "Amy", click on Tools -> Folder options -> View tab. One of the options there is "Hidden files and folders". Select "Show hidden files and folders" (2nd option). Now do you see a folder called "Application Data" under "Amy"?

I actually found the bookmarks folder, but when I open it, it just goes to a Firefox page. I think I'm probably going to have to go back to my previous version of Firefox. What a pain. Thanks for all your efforts...I really appreciate it.

Amy

United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
bookmarks May 5, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:
I actually found the bookmarks folder, but when I open it, it just goes to a Firefox page.

It's supposed to go to a Firefox page, it's an html file. But it does list all your favorites, doesn't it? When you open Firefox, this is the file you should import. (I can't remember how you do it on Firefox; on Netscape you go to Manage Bookmarks, and then from the Tools menu you select Import).
Maria

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It just goes to a Firefox link...no bookmarks May 5, 2007

Here's the link it goes to when I click on bookmarks:

file:///C:/Arquivos%20de%20programas/Mozilla%20Firefox/defaults/profile/bookmarks.html

I've pretty much given up. I tried restoring the system, and it just made a big mess of everything, and my favorites were not restored. Ugh, what a nightmare. I like Mozilla, but it's things like this that make me want to go back to Explorer.

Amy

United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
import it May 5, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:
Here's the link it goes to when I click on bookmarks:
file:///C:/Arquivos%20de%20programas/Mozilla%20Firefox/defaults/profile/bookmarks.html

I've pretty much given up.

Amy, you don't need to click on it, you need to import it. Now that you know where it lives, open Firefox and import this file. Don't give up! Your bookmarks aren't gone.
Maria

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, I imported the link... May 5, 2007

I imported it under Favorites/Organize/Import, but all that turned up was something called Add-ons for Favorites (I'm translating from Portuguese here)....no sign of a bookmark anywhere.

Sigh...

Amy

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Partial member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Sorry for the "big mess" May 5, 2007

but I don't understand how this could happen. I have myself done dozens of system restores and never had any difficulty. At the most, it doesn't solve your problem, but then, a system restore is totally reversible and you simply undo it and go back to the exactly same situation you had before.

Anyway, to import your bookmarks file (the one with the extension .html - of course your link doesn't work here as it refers to our very own computer...), you go to "Bookmarks" ->bookmark manager ->file ->import ->file and then you give the exact path where your bookmarks are stored on your computer (the file you tried to post here). Click ok and that's it.

Your bookmarks are there, you only need to tell Firefox where they are!

Good luck!

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help, everyone... May 5, 2007

I really totally messed everything up. I did find the favorites backup folder and imported it, but it had already been overwritten by a couple of new bookmarks I had added today.

Here's the link that I used:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks#Finding_your_bookmarks

Anyway, I appreciate all your efforts!

Amy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I lost my favorites

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs