Thread poster: Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 15:47
English to Norwegian
+ ...
May 18, 2007

I'm looking for a tool that you can feed with a glossary and then search for everything in that glossary in one file (not an S&R tool for searching multiple files). Is it too much too ask?

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:47
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Inforapid May 18, 2007

http://www.inforapid.com/html/english.htm

It's free for private use and will search for a word/phrase in your whole computer, specific folder or specific file- you have to specify where to look for what and file type. I doubt however there is an option to feed it any glossary.

But it's very fast, I use it when I remember only some (exact) part of a phrase I need, but ha
... See more
http://www.inforapid.com/html/english.htm

It's free for private use and will search for a word/phrase in your whole computer, specific folder or specific file- you have to specify where to look for what and file type. I doubt however there is an option to feed it any glossary.

But it's very fast, I use it when I remember only some (exact) part of a phrase I need, but have no clue where in what document in my multi-level documents' folders it's located- search rarely takes more than a minute.

Uldis
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Xbench May 18, 2007

Hi Per,

I think Xbench may be what you’re looking for. This is a free terminology tool that supports several formats. It’s a beta, but I’ve been using it for more than one year without any problems. You can find details about it at the above link.

Kind regards,
Mihai

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
PlusTools at Wordfast - it does this kind of bulk parsing May 18, 2007

it's a N/C word plug-in. Can be useful in any case.

Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
+Tools it is! May 19, 2007

Thanks for your kind help. The answer was obviously +Tools. It's been so long since the last time I used it, I'd totally forgotten about it. Had to tweak my glossary somewhat to make +Tools, so now I'm only hoping that it'll manage searching for 1300 expressions at the same time (the test run didn't go that well)!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software which can search for many phrases in one file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »