https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/74346-path_to_temp_folder_in_windows_xp_help.html

Path to TEMP FOLDER in WINDOWS XP (HELP!)
Thread poster: Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
May 31, 2007

I just finished editing a document that a client sent me via e-mail. When I renamed it, I forgot to move it out of the temp folder. I finished the job and closed the file. When I wanted to reopen it, it wan't in the list of recent files (nor is it in "recent files" on the start menu).

However, if I open the original attachment, and try to save it, it takes me to a temp folder that contains the file I edited with a date stamp of when I finished and closed it.

I've done
... See more
I just finished editing a document that a client sent me via e-mail. When I renamed it, I forgot to move it out of the temp folder. I finished the job and closed the file. When I wanted to reopen it, it wan't in the list of recent files (nor is it in "recent files" on the start menu).

However, if I open the original attachment, and try to save it, it takes me to a temp folder that contains the file I edited with a date stamp of when I finished and closed it.

I've done everything I can think of to get to that folder, and I can't access it. The path appears to be from my C drive, to Documents & Settings, HP-Owner (I have an HP), Local Settings, and Temp.

But I get to HP-Owner, and there is no "Local Settings" in that folder.

Can someone help me please? I'm frantic...
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Oh, I just figured out a work around! May 31, 2007

Sorry, everyone! Is there anyway to close this down? I saved the original attachment in the folder, and then I closed it and went to "Open File" which took me to the folder (since it was the last one that was closed), and I was able to open and resave the work I'd done. Whew! Sorry for hitting the panic button!

Marion Lurf
Marion Lurf  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:17
English to German
+ ...
It's a hidden folder May 31, 2007

Hi Patricia,

By default, the folder "Local settings" is hidden. To display all folders, you need to go to Tools -> Folder options (in Windows Explorer), second tab. In my German XP it's called "Ansicht", so it will probably be "View" or something to that effect in English. Scroll down to "Hidden files and folders" and change the relevant setting.

Good luck, I hope you'll find your file there!

HTH,
Marion

PS: I just saw that you already so
... See more
Hi Patricia,

By default, the folder "Local settings" is hidden. To display all folders, you need to go to Tools -> Folder options (in Windows Explorer), second tab. In my German XP it's called "Ansicht", so it will probably be "View" or something to that effect in English. Scroll down to "Hidden files and folders" and change the relevant setting.

Good luck, I hope you'll find your file there!

HTH,
Marion

PS: I just saw that you already solved your problem, but maybe this info will come in handy in the future.
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thanks! May 31, 2007

Marion,
Much thanks for explaining that! I felt so "disempowered" -- how dare they hide my folders from me! :-0

I'm sure this info will come in handy in the future!
P.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:17
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Thanks to both of you! Jun 1, 2007

I've had this problem too, and been quite desperate several times!

I'm copying these answers for my file of helpful hints.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Could you explain further please Jun 1, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

I saved the original attachment in the folder, and then I closed it and went to "Open File" which took me to the folder (since it was the last one that was closed), and I was able to open and resave the work I'd done.

I have done this twice recently (not saved document in another folder after working on it as an email attachment) and ended up having to retype everything from a printout (luckily both times they were relatively short documents), so I would be very interested in finding out a way to reach the document. Could you tell me where this "Open file" is, as I cannot find it.

Thanks,

Nikki

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Consider Attachment Save From Sperry Software Jun 1, 2007

Nikki Graham wrote:
...I have done this twice recently (not saved document in another folder after working on it as an email attachment) and ended up having to retype everything from a printout ...

Further to what Marion explained about showing hidden/system files, I would like to let you know of a tip that can come in handy to prevent those catastrophes.
http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook/Attachment-Save.asp
With this Outlook plug-in (not free, but affordable), this never happens to me. I set the app to strip all attachments from incoming emails and to move them to a specific file, that I imaginatively named Attachments received. A link to the file is automatically inserted into the message body.
I find this tool very handy and it doesn't bloat the Outlook personal folder.
The downside of this is that if you overwrite the file without renaming it, you no longer have the original file safely kept in your email. But it is always a good idea to add a suffix to the file before starting translating (and if there are many, use Bulk Rename Utility, http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php).

VoilĂ , that's all for this week.
Have a good weekend,
Philippe

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Open, under FILE in the Word Main Menu... Jun 1, 2007

Nikki Graham wrote:

Could you tell me where this "Open file" is, as I cannot find it.

Thanks,

Nikki

Hi, Nikki:
I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in making this boo-boo!

First, Marion's suggestion worked, and I believe that Explorer is now set to "show hidden files," making it much easier to navigate my C:/ drive.

What I did -- before seeing Marion's reply -- was to go to the e-mail message; I clicked on the original attachment, which then opened in Word. Leaving it in the temp folder, I saved it under a different name, and then closed it. With Word still running, I went to Files-->Open (under File, in Word's main menu). Clicking on that opened the folder with the attachment I'd just saved, and it also contained the original attachment and the one I'd spent the morning editing. I selected that edited file, and it opened in Word. I *promptly* saved it to an appropriate (non-temp) directory.

What freaked me out--and I still don't entirely understand why this happened--was that when I restarted Word and went to the "recently opened" list of files, the one I'd just been working on wasn't there. On the Start Menu, where there is also a "recent documents" list, it also didn't appear, and as I explained, I couldn't even see the folder in Explorer, and searches I did by the file name (because I had given the edited file a new name) also came up blank. My guess is that this is related to the "hidden files" problem.

Anyway, hope that helps you!
Patricia

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thanks for sharing... Jun 1, 2007

Philippe Etienne wrote:

I would like to let you know of a tip that can come in handy to prevent those catastrophes.
http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook/Attachment-Save.asp
With this Outlook plug-in (not free, but affordable), this never happens to me. I set the app to strip all attachments from incoming emails and to move them to a specific file, that I imaginatively named Attachments received. A link to the file is automatically inserted into the message body.
I find this tool very handy and it doesn't bloat the Outlook personal folder.

Philippe

Philippe,
Thank you for sharing this information, too! I use primarily Mozilla's Thunderbird, but I'll check out the link and see if there is a plug in for that.
Patricia

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:17
English to French
+ ...
The only infallible solution Jun 2, 2007

Maybe slightly off-topic, but there is only one way to make sure your original files are safe and that you are working in a copy of which you always know where it is.

Make up a folder structure for work and as soon as you get a source file from a client, save it in your work folder. As soon as you have saved it, copy it to a subfolder (I call mine Target) and only work on the copy in the Target subfolder. You don't even have to rename anything!

The best structure I've f
... See more
Maybe slightly off-topic, but there is only one way to make sure your original files are safe and that you are working in a copy of which you always know where it is.

Make up a folder structure for work and as soon as you get a source file from a client, save it in your work folder. As soon as you have saved it, copy it to a subfolder (I call mine Target) and only work on the copy in the Target subfolder. You don't even have to rename anything!

The best structure I've found so far is a Work folder, divided into Client folders, each divided into Project folders, each divided into Source, Target, WIP, Tools (mostly reference files, TMs supplied by the client, procedure to follow if any and sometimes webpages I saved that have to do with the subject of my translation) and Administration (this is where important e-mails, contracts, POs, and later invoices are kept). Back it all up once a month and you are safe from harm.

This is the only way to be absolutely safe - or so I find. I also use MessageSave (for saving messages individually, in a user-specified folder structure) and EZDetach (for saving attachments in a user-specified folder structure) for the added benefit of batch processing files, but I could do without...

So, when you get a source file by e-mail and your e-mail client asks whether you want to Open or Save, don't give in to the temptation to open and save instead - I know exactly how it is!

[Edited at 2007-06-02 04:44]
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Cannot find "folder options" in Explorer Jun 2, 2007

Thanks Patricia, I get your method now, because I cannot find "folder options" in the Tools menu in Windows Explorer which Marion talked about.

The search file function should be able to find these hidden files anyway, but it hasn't worked for me since I go this new computer with Windows XP (don't remember having these problems with Windows ME).

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

So, when you get a source file by e-mail and your e-mail client asks whether you want to Open or Save, don't give in to the temptation to open and save instead - I know exactly how it is!

This is a good idea, but may not fit in with the way I normally work. I usually save the open file in the folder for that client once I've checked the contents and no. of words and accepted the job. However, sometimes when I'm excessively tired/busy/distracted by children, I forget to do this and end up working on the file in the attachment without realising what I'm doing.

[Edited at 2007-06-02 09:03]

Marion Lurf
Marion Lurf  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Maybe it has a different name? Jun 2, 2007

Hello Nikki,

I am using Windows XP in German, so maybe "Folder options" has a different name in English? I just translated "Ordneroptionen" literally when giving the instructions to Patricia. In any case, it's the last (fourth) menu item in Tools. Can you find it now?

Marion

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
just for the record Jun 2, 2007

Marion,
Your instructions worked perfectly for me (running XP in Eng). Thanks again to everyone!
P.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
To open the TEMP folder in Windows Explorer... Jun 3, 2007

...just enter %Temp% in the Start -> Run dialog of Windows and click OK.

MrGroove
MrGroove
English
Outlook Temp Folder Jul 26, 2007

It really depends on your version of outlook and windows your running. Here's a good breakdown.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/outlook/find-the-microsoft-outlook-temporary-olk-folder/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Path to TEMP FOLDER in WINDOWS XP (HELP!)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »