https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/75100-why_does_anycount_provide_a_higher_wordcount_than_trados_analyse.html

Why does AnyCount provide a higher wordcount than Trados Analyse?
Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:26
English to French
+ ...
Jun 10, 2007

I've been wondering about this for a while...

I noticed that AnyCount provides a higher wordcount for a tagged RTF file than the Trados Analyse function. The document was just over 2600 words when counted using Trados and it was just over 2800 words when I used AnyCount from within Translation Office V7. This also happens with regular word documents without tags.

I am now seriously wondering if, by using Trados' wordcount, I am not charging less than what I have worked
... See more
I've been wondering about this for a while...

I noticed that AnyCount provides a higher wordcount for a tagged RTF file than the Trados Analyse function. The document was just over 2600 words when counted using Trados and it was just over 2800 words when I used AnyCount from within Translation Office V7. This also happens with regular word documents without tags.

I am now seriously wondering if, by using Trados' wordcount, I am not charging less than what I have worked for. After all, 200 words worth of payment difference does pay for a case of two-four

Is Trados at fault? Or is AnyCount too generous? Also, why is there a difference? What is counted differently? Any advice/feedback/comment, however partial, is welcome.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2007-06-10 17:58]
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 19:26
English to Spanish
Trados analyse... Jun 10, 2007

Because Trados won't count numbers and... (there is something else I can't remember now).

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:26
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Each software counts differently Jun 10, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Is Trados at fault? Or is AnyCount too generous? Also, why is there a difference? What is counted differently? Any advice/feedback/comment, however partial, is welcome.

Generally I have noticed that Anycount is the most generous, it gives even more words than Practicount, which I use. And from my personal observations I can say that Trados seems to be the most accurate, but then it counts only very limited range of file types.

Anyway, I'd say the best always is to agree with the customer *BEFORE* accepting the order on wordcount and software used to get the results- as well as get a PO stating the volume and the final price.

Some half a year ago one of my clients accepted Transit analyzes before the job, made new one on the ready job- which was more than 30% lower (less words in Baltic languages than in German, more repetitions and various matches) and stated he'll pay by that, as he wants to pay only "for the job done". Crazy, the difference was few thousand euros... Finally paid the agreed price, though. But you better be prepared for various such occasions- and the best remedy is the PO before starting the job.

Uldis

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:26
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PO or no PO Jun 10, 2007

I agree with you, Uldis, that it is best to agree on everything before starting a job. However, I keep getting the same problem with established clients: we all have a relationship based on trust, as we all have proved to each other on many occasions that we always keep our word. I guess this is the downside of having regular, established clients. The latest analysis I did was for a file for which the client simply sent me an e-mail, saying the document is around 2500 words, that they would like... See more
I agree with you, Uldis, that it is best to agree on everything before starting a job. However, I keep getting the same problem with established clients: we all have a relationship based on trust, as we all have proved to each other on many occasions that we always keep our word. I guess this is the downside of having regular, established clients. The latest analysis I did was for a file for which the client simply sent me an e-mail, saying the document is around 2500 words, that they would like to know if I can deliver within the expected deadline and the file was attached. The client was also asking if I could apply fuzzy rates because this document is very similar to the last one I worked on with them (it's for a regular client of theirs whose jobs they always contact me for first - they call me Mrs. XY end client). So, I do have e-mails with approximate wordcounts and deadlines, as well as proof that I sent the finished translations before the deadline, but with some clients that have been around for years, we don't have any POs.

If AnyCount's count is exact, then of course I'd prefer to use that one, since I have handled that many words anyways. You know, as you said before, that with large jobs, what software you use for wordcount can make hundreds or even thousands of dollars of difference. So, I'd rather use the one that's most advantageous for me, as long as it is honest. I just wasn't sure if there really were that many words - I don't want to ruin my client's trust by charging more than I'm entitled to.

Any idea what AnyCount picks up that Trados doesn't?

[Edited at 2007-06-10 21:04]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:26
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Don't know about Anycount Jun 10, 2007

But, as Tadzio already wrote, Trados doesn't count numerals, in Practicount I can set if numerals, textboxes, headers/footers, notes, annotations and embedded objects and like is counted or not.

Word itself counts pretty accurate, but it doesn't count headers/footers and textboxes and you have no way to set your count preferences. Besides, one major difference is that one software counts compound words as one, other as two- say, "San-Marino" - Word counts it as one word, Practicou
... See more
But, as Tadzio already wrote, Trados doesn't count numerals, in Practicount I can set if numerals, textboxes, headers/footers, notes, annotations and embedded objects and like is counted or not.

Word itself counts pretty accurate, but it doesn't count headers/footers and textboxes and you have no way to set your count preferences. Besides, one major difference is that one software counts compound words as one, other as two- say, "San-Marino" - Word counts it as one word, Practicount as one, Trados as two.

Uldis

[quote]Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
Any idea what AnyCount picks up that Trados doesn't?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why does AnyCount provide a higher wordcount than Trados Analyse?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »