Thread poster: Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Jun 12, 2007

Dear fellow ProZians,

We have been using the IE 7.0 (version 7.0.5730.11) for some while now but notice the same problem on and on again.

The addresses we have inserted into the favourite lists are changed automatically after a couple of days, e.g. if we put in www.bbc.co.uk and want to visit this site later, the www address has been changed to some folder etc. in our computer system. The
... See more
Dear fellow ProZians,

We have been using the IE 7.0 (version 7.0.5730.11) for some while now but notice the same problem on and on again.

The addresses we have inserted into the favourite lists are changed automatically after a couple of days, e.g. if we put in www.bbc.co.uk and want to visit this site later, the www address has been changed to some folder etc. in our computer system. The symbol for the site is still in the list, and there is no error message coming up - just the small "disadvantage" that we can't reach the site.

I am wondering if only a small setting is required somewhere in the program (I have noticed the same problem on three different computers, all running with IE 7), or if this is a general bug, maybe well-known in the community. Thank you in advance!

Erik
Collapse

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:15
English to Latvian
+ ...
Try Firefox Jun 12, 2007

Sorry I can't help you with this issue (I simply do not use IE anymore, for a long time), but I can recommend you to try Mozilla Firefox browser. I have used it for years, and it always works just perfectly. Besides, Firefox is much safer than any of the IE browsers
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

[Edited at 2007-06
... See more
Sorry I can't help you with this issue (I simply do not use IE anymore, for a long time), but I can recommend you to try Mozilla Firefox browser. I have used it for years, and it always works just perfectly. Besides, Firefox is much safer than any of the IE browsers
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

[Edited at 2007-06-12 22:04]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:15
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Agree with Evija- put the IE away Jun 12, 2007

We have IE on all our computers, but we use it only for Windows update and very few sites which wouldn't run correctly in Opera. Our default browser is Opera, it's free, much more advanced than IE and about 5 times faster (indeed, when you are used to Opera, IE just with its slowness drives you mad). And Opera and Firefox are far less subjected to various security holes.

I don't have personal experience with Firefox, but hearsay I've heard is also good.

Uldis

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:15
Swedish to English
+ ...
Fine here... Jun 13, 2007

Hi Erik,

I run IE 7 and have never seen the problem you mention - not a lot of help perhaps, but still...

/Clare

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Vista or XP? Jun 13, 2007

Just found one link that might be helpful:

http://www.vistabase.co.uk/kb/security/why-cant-i-save-favourites-in-internet-explorer-7
http://www.ie-vista.com/favorites_centre.html

Erik Hansson
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 13, 2007

Thank you all for your kind help. We use Windows XP Professional on all computers (nobody could convince us to change to Vista).

Strangely enough, this problem seems to come up only with links we use quite often, and very seldom with links only used once in a while.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Favourites Jun 15, 2007

Erratic behaviour of the Favorites often happens if you log in under different user names or identities - in this case IE doesn't know where to take the favourites, as each user has his own. Maybe the solution is to use always the same identity on the same computer.

[Bijgewerkt op 2007-06-15 10:47]

Erik Hansson
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 19, 2007

Thank you NMR for clarifying.

As a matter of fact, all three computers are used by different users with different log-ins, so it's well possible that this might be the problem, when IE doesn't know where to get the favourites. It's just strange that the individual favourites (or the favicons) are shown correctly on the screen, but the links behind are sometimes messed up.

I'd better forward my question to customer's support - and start looking for alternatives..
... See more
Thank you NMR for clarifying.

As a matter of fact, all three computers are used by different users with different log-ins, so it's well possible that this might be the problem, when IE doesn't know where to get the favourites. It's just strange that the individual favourites (or the favicons) are shown correctly on the screen, but the links behind are sometimes messed up.

I'd better forward my question to customer's support - and start looking for alternatives..

Erik
Collapse

Kullekien
Kullekien
Dutch
Have the same problem Jun 29, 2007

Erik Hansson wrote:

Dear fellow ProZians,

The addresses we have inserted into the favourite lists are changed automatically after a couple of days, e.g. if we put in www.bbc.co.uk and want to visit this site later, the www address has been changed to some folder etc. in our computer system. The symbol for the site is still in the list, and there is no error message coming up - just the small "disadvantage" that we can't reach the site.

I am wondering if only a small setting is required somewhere in the program (I have noticed the same problem on three different computers, all running with IE 7), or if this is a general bug, maybe well-known in the community. Thank you in advance!

Erik

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet Explorer 7.0 - strange behaviour with favourite addresses

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »