Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:57
Flemish to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2007

I have two questions:
1. How long can a pc be switch-on without interruption before the Hard-disk crashes. After 12 hours my h.d. starts to make a singing noise.

2. I've installed Windows Media Player 11 under Windows XPSP2. Media player is embedded in a couple of broadcasters' streaming services. Where there were no problems with Media Player 10, I get a purple screen and only sound. Does anybody have any solution for this problem.

Direct link Reply with quote

Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:57
French to English
replace the HD Jul 17, 2007

Williamson wrote:

my h.d. starts to make a singing noise.

Maybe I'm paranoid about data loss, but I think it's high-time to replace the hard drive. The singing could be a bearing going bad and if the bearing seizes, no magic can get your data back.

Bruce

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:57
German to English
+ ...
Gotta remote hard drive Willamson? Jul 17, 2007

I hope so! Sounds like now's the time to backup.

Chris

Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
One step back... Jul 17, 2007

Williamson wrote:

2. I've installed Windows Media Player 11 under Windows XPSP2. Media player is embedded in a couple of broadcasters' streaming services. Where there were no problems with Media Player 10, I get a purple screen and only sound. Does anybody have any solution for this problem.

I tried MP11 also, but didn't like it at all, so I backtracked to WMP10 and things are going well. You could try the same.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows Media Player 11

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs