https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/84838-indesign_cs2_%3A_cannot_save_or_open_file_because_the_dialog_box_is_invisible.html

Indesign CS2 : cannot save or open file because the dialog box is invisible
Thread poster: Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:55
German to French
+ ...
Sep 25, 2007

Hi all,

I'm having a very puzzling problem with Indesign CS2. I just installed it on my new computer with Windows XP Pro.
I have two screens configured as extended desktop - maybe my problem is related.

When I select File > Open, the main window is greyed but the dialog box where I should be able to select a file is invisible.
I didn't think this would be too annoying since I can always open the Windows Explorer and open my file directly, but I've just not
... See more
Hi all,

I'm having a very puzzling problem with Indesign CS2. I just installed it on my new computer with Windows XP Pro.
I have two screens configured as extended desktop - maybe my problem is related.

When I select File > Open, the main window is greyed but the dialog box where I should be able to select a file is invisible.
I didn't think this would be too annoying since I can always open the Windows Explorer and open my file directly, but I've just noticed that the same behavior applies to the File > Save dialog box! So I can't save my .inx file back to .indd format.

I tried moving and resizing the Indesign main window to check if the dialog box was hidden behind it, but there's no trace of it. The arrow goes all the way up the screen (yesterday it went all the way to the upper left corner of the left screen...) so I suspect that something is messed up with the coordinates and that I would be able to see the dialog box if I had another screen above mine - but how far above?

I've repaired the installation of Indesign but nothing has changed.

What else can I do?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Marie-Céline
Collapse

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:55
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved... Sep 25, 2007

I kept browsing the Internet looking for a solution to my problem and I've just found it...

Here's the explanation - it might be useful to others (and even to me) sometime:

Control a window with the keyboard
Even when the title bar or sizing frame is off-screen and not reachable by the mouse cursor, you can still move or resize a window. Click on the visible part of the window and press Alt-Spacebar to bring
... See more
I kept browsing the Internet looking for a solution to my problem and I've just found it...

Here's the explanation - it might be useful to others (and even to me) sometime:

Control a window with the keyboard
Even when the title bar or sizing frame is off-screen and not reachable by the mouse cursor, you can still move or resize a window. Click on the visible part of the window and press Alt-Spacebar to bring up its system menu. Then press S (for Size), press the right arrow key to select the right-hand edge of the window, and press the left arrow key repeatedly. When the window is reduced to a manageable size, press Enter.
To move a window whose title bar is not visible, click the window or its corresponding taskbar button and again press Alt-Spacebar. Even if the window is entirely off-screen, not visible at all, the system menu will appear as close to it as possible, so you can use the menu's location as a pointer to the "lost" window. This time press M (for Move), use the arrow keys to bring the window back into view, and press Enter when you have it back under control.

I had to press Escape after typing the down arrow to have the window back, but it worked!

Marie-Céline
Collapse

rafaelpeixe (X)
rafaelpeixe (X)
English
Thank your tips ! Oct 16, 2008

Hello Marie-Céline

I joined in this forum just to thank you about your solution, we (my company) had the same problem described from you and as you said: "it might be useful to others", and it was !

Bye bye
Rafael Peixe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Indesign CS2 : cannot save or open file because the dialog box is invisible

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »