keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sep 27, 2007

Hello Colleagues!

Today many of CAT companies came in the field to catch translators!! They are providing many type of offers, training, discount etc.etc.
I thought like many of my friends that these CAT tools have no worth to me. But now I realize that my work can be more improve with the help of these tools.
But among these competitor any common translator like me may be puzzled. After all their prices cannot be ignored.
The two main CAT Tools- SDL Trados and
... See more
Hello Colleagues!

Today many of CAT companies came in the field to catch translators!! They are providing many type of offers, training, discount etc.etc.
I thought like many of my friends that these CAT tools have no worth to me. But now I realize that my work can be more improve with the help of these tools.
But among these competitor any common translator like me may be puzzled. After all their prices cannot be ignored.
The two main CAT Tools- SDL Trados and Dejavu - which is the best? which I have to buy and why ?

Do you please show me the light in this regard?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aikôna, this is not fair... Sep 27, 2007

keshab wrote:
The two main CAT Tools- SDL Trados and Dejavu - which is the best?

This is not fair question. No-one knows what aspects of CAT you value, therefore we cannot tell you which one is "better".

You might as well ask which one is better -- a sedan or a station wagon. Neither is better, both are better, depending on what you're looking for.

So... what do you value in a CAT tool? Answer that, and you'll get useful answers with regard to DVX versus SDLT.

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:54
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Which is better depends on your needs Sep 28, 2007

When deciding which translation software to use, you first have to determine what you are looking for.

Do you work for agencies who use a certain program, or have you had to reject work because you did not have the required CAT tool? If so, then you should get the tool they use.

If it is not your clients who demand that you use a CAT tool, then it is a matter of personal preference and finding the tool that suits your needs.

The fact that SDL Trados and Dej
... See more
When deciding which translation software to use, you first have to determine what you are looking for.

Do you work for agencies who use a certain program, or have you had to reject work because you did not have the required CAT tool? If so, then you should get the tool they use.

If it is not your clients who demand that you use a CAT tool, then it is a matter of personal preference and finding the tool that suits your needs.

The fact that SDL Trados and DejaVu are well-known CATs does not necessarily mean that they are the best for you. Neither of them might fit your needs, or both of them. But there are many other CATs that might be better for you.

Are you only looking for the translation memory function that Trados and DejaVu provides, or do you also want the easy glossary handling and quality control functions that Wordfast provides?

Then there is OmegaT, that is free. I've never used it myself, but it could be a good starting point if you don't want to try demo versions for Trados, SDLX, DejaVu, MemoQ, Wordfast, Trans Suite, etc.

Which tool that is best for you depends on what you want it to do for you. You also need to consider the following:
Do you prefer to work within Word or would you prefer to work in a table format in a separate application?
Is glossary handling important to you?
Is the price important to you?
Which file types are you working with?
Are you going to need to work with others on large projects (which program are they using)?

The correct tool for you will make you work faster and be more consistent, but a wrong tool might even slow you down.

Ulf
Collapse

keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank You Sep 30, 2007

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

The correct tool for you will make you work faster and be more consistent, but a wrong tool might even slow you down.

Thank You Ulf. Your wise advise helps me to take correct decision.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados or Dejavu - which is better?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »