PageMaker: is it possible to import a text file?
Thread poster: Yuri Geifman
Yuri Geifman
Yuri Geifman  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 12, 2003

Would anybody happen to know whether it\'s possible to import a text file into Page Maker? I\'m working on a whole bunch of documents that need to be translated into Russian, and the same text appears in both the \"descriptive section\" (Word files) and the \"catalog section\" (Adobe PageMaker)... hate to have to type the same thing twice.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:26
German to English
+ ...
shoud be OK Feb 12, 2003

I\'m only familiar with PageMaker by reputation, but it is a page layout program, and all page layout programs are in principle designed to be able to import text files from other packages. (I\'m familiar with Quark XPress, and PM is essentially similar in terms of functionality). I\'m positive that PM can import Word files, so there should not be any need to translate everything twice.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Definitely yes Feb 12, 2003

I just started PM (6.5) and made a new file.

To get a text file imported to it, you must not choose \"Import\", but \"Position\" or something similar (I have only german PM, so I can\'t tell the english name for it).

You can import plain text rtf or doc files, but be aware, that when importing doc files they must be from older Word versions.

To work with Pagemaker you should try to use Trados - it makes translation of PM files much easier, as you do not n
... See more
I just started PM (6.5) and made a new file.

To get a text file imported to it, you must not choose \"Import\", but \"Position\" or something similar (I have only german PM, so I can\'t tell the english name for it).

You can import plain text rtf or doc files, but be aware, that when importing doc files they must be from older Word versions.

To work with Pagemaker you should try to use Trados - it makes translation of PM files much easier, as you do not need to work within PM environment, which can hardly be called user friendly.

Jerzy
Collapse

Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Local time: 01:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sure you can Feb 12, 2003

It might not seem very technical, but i has worked for me. I open a new page in PM 6.5 and them go to my word file and choose the section I want to copy into PM, go to copy, and then go the new page in PM 6.5 and go to paste, and it\'s done. Simple and it works.

Hope it helps you,

regards,

Dinorah

Yuri Geifman
Yuri Geifman  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:26
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados and pasting Feb 12, 2003

I haven\'t tried using Trados, that sounds like an interesting trick.

As far as cut-and-pasting - it does work, but unfortunately I was unable to maintain the correct encoding parameters, so that Russian characters came out looking totally garbled.

I\'ll try again as soon as I get back to the office tomorrow. Thanks everybody!

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
File-Place Feb 12, 2003

Quote:

you must not choose \"Import\", but \"Position\" or something similar

If memory serves, it\'s place in the English version. The short-cut is Ctrl-D (or Ctrl-P in older versions). The coding shouldn\'t be a problem.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:26
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
The coding Feb 13, 2003

Quote:

The coding shouldn\'t be a problem.

It is the right coding that is the problem. We import Baltic characters (I cannot say right now if Adobe Type manager helps to do this, haven\'t tried without it) without problem, but importing of Russiann characters appear impossible, it results only in strings of \"??????????????\"

(the same goes for Photoshop and Illustrator)

I suggest yo... See more
Quote:

It is the right coding that is the problem. We import Baltic characters (I cannot say right now if Adobe Type manager helps to do this, haven\'t tried without it) without problem, but importing of Russiann characters appear impossible, it results only in strings of \"??????????????\"

I suggest you ask for suggestions in a Russian group, they have to have experince with couping with it...

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:26
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
The coding Feb 13, 2003

Quote:

I suggest yo... See more
Quote:

I suggest you ask for suggestions in a Russian group, they have to have experince with couping with it...

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PageMaker: is it possible to import a text file?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »