https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/86884-word_count_powerpoint_2007.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Word count PowerPoint 2007
Thread poster: Lingua DK
Lingua DK
Lingua DK  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:01
English to Danish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2007

I need a word count in PowerPoint 2007, but can't find it.

Does anyone know where to find the word count? And do you know if it counts all the text?

VIBOL KEO
VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:01
Member (2009)
English to Khmer (Central)
Previous Forum! Oct 18, 2007

Hi!

Just take a quick look at this link: http://eng.proz.com/topic/76652 if it is possible and helpful.

I hope you will find it useful.

Best wishes,

Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
Word count function? Oct 18, 2007

I always thought that this function simply doesn't exist for PowerPoint (which is too bad). Or is this supposed to have changed for the 2007 version?

Nadja

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
shortcuts Oct 18, 2007

alt + f + e + p
then click on document properties - advanced properties - statistics

Katia Perry
Katia Perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:01
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It doesn´t work Oct 18, 2007

Unfortunately, I´ve tried all the clues, but nothing worked with PowerPoint 2007.
Maybe, I´ve done something wrong ...
In fact, I´m not able to find even the "document properties" flag in this version.

[Edited at 2007-10-18 14:23]

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
really? Oct 18, 2007

perry wrote:

Unfortunately, I´ve tried all the clues, but nothing worked with PowerPoint 2007.
Maybe, I´ve done something wrong ...
In fact, I´m not able to find even the "document properties" flag in this version.

[Edited at 2007-10-18 14:23]

hi perry,
have you tried mine? the shortcuts will open the file properties, which will lead you to the statistics. in it, you can find the word count.

Katia Perry
Katia Perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:01
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I´m really sorry! Nov 7, 2007

Hi Mulyadi,
I apologize for not answering you early.
Indeed, I tried your commands and nothing happened.
But eventually I found the "advanced properties" command and then statistics.
Thank you very much.
Katia

Silvia Ortega Lorenzo
Silvia Ortega Lorenzo  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
Incorrect word count Sep 30, 2008

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

alt + f + e + p

Hello,

I hav tried this and it gives me too many words... I actually went and counted them manually to double-check and indeed it counts more words than there are! Any possible explanation? I tried with two documents.

Many thanks!

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:01
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Are you sure? Sep 30, 2008

Powerpoint often has headers/footers/ notes that you can find only if you especially look for them. Besides, I once encountered Powerpoint file, which on one of the slides had imported Excel table- after examining it closer it turned out that this table had umpteen sheets (just like you can have in Excel) and it contained close to 10 000 words in total (though only about a hundred visually showed in the concrete slide on the first look- only first Excel sheet of about 30 of these multiple sheets... See more
Powerpoint often has headers/footers/ notes that you can find only if you especially look for them. Besides, I once encountered Powerpoint file, which on one of the slides had imported Excel table- after examining it closer it turned out that this table had umpteen sheets (just like you can have in Excel) and it contained close to 10 000 words in total (though only about a hundred visually showed in the concrete slide on the first look- only first Excel sheet of about 30 of these multiple sheets showed when you just visually looked at the slides). Generally from my experience I can tell that if any software sees that count of words, they are somewhere there, though maybe they are not visible at the first look.

But of course, after finding that "hidden text" you should ask your client if he needs that translated- in the given case with these multiple Excel sheets it turned out the client too did not have the first idea they were there and did not need them translated.

HTH,

Uldis

wieck81 wrote:
I hav tried this and it gives me too many words... I actually went and counted them manually to double-check and indeed it counts more words than there are! Any possible explanation? I tried with two documents.
Collapse

Silvia Ortega Lorenzo
Silvia Ortega Lorenzo  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
still wrong wordcount Sep 30, 2008

[quote]Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Powerpoint often has headers/footers/ notes that you can find only if you especially look for them. Besides, I once encountered Powerpoint file, which on one of the slides had imported Excel table- after examining it closer it turned out that this table had umpteen sheets (just like you can have in Excel) and it contained close to 10 000 words in total (though only about a hundred visually showed in the concrete slide on the first look- only first Excel sheet of about 30 of these multiple sheets showed when you just visually looked at the slides). Generally from my experience I can tell that if any software sees that count of words, they are somewhere there, though maybe they are not visible at the first look.

But of course, after finding that "hidden text" you should ask your client if he needs that translated- in the given case with these multiple Excel sheets it turned out the client too did not have the first idea they were there and did not need them translated.

HTH,

Uldis

Dear Uldis,

Thank you for your reply. I did indeed check, I even went into the Master view and into the 'notes' section that sometimes contains comments... nothing there that I could see. Actually I went and checked with a few more Powerpoints I had don previously and it gave me LESS words on a couple of them... I don't know. Just seems a little unreliable at least on my machine. I love my Word wordcount, however; it is simply great. Hate Powerpoint! agh... had to count 123 pages manually, copying and pasting onto Word (please don't laugh... )

[Edited at 2008-09-30 23:53]

Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Local time: 20:01
Japanese to English
PowerPoint's built-in word count function is broken Oct 1, 2008

The built-in word-count function in the PowerPoint properties is broken. (Still as of 2007 version!)
It counts punctuation as words. So the following text:

Foo. Bar.

Will be counted as four words. Foo-bar indeed!

Regards,
Ryan Ginstrom

[Edited at 2008-10-01 20:02]

gail desautels
gail desautels  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:01
French to English
word count in PPT 2007 Mar 10, 2010

whoever posted alt+f+e+p - THANK YOU!!!!

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Powerpoint word count is totally off, try these: Mar 10, 2010

Hello...

In a recent project, I was asked to translate an approximately text in PPT 2007 in which the client told me the text was around 2,100 words. That's what the PPT 2007 word count said. Given the time it took me, I knew without a doubt that the word count was closer to 3,000. It just couldn't be.

I did a bit of research here on Proz and on Google, and found these tools to give me a more accurate word count:

Count Anything for Windows
Trados Tra
... See more
Hello...

In a recent project, I was asked to translate an approximately text in PPT 2007 in which the client told me the text was around 2,100 words. That's what the PPT 2007 word count said. Given the time it took me, I knew without a doubt that the word count was closer to 3,000. It just couldn't be.

I did a bit of research here on Proz and on Google, and found these tools to give me a more accurate word count:

Count Anything for Windows
Trados Translator's Workbench 6.5 analysis
GITS Software Powerpoint2Doc (export to Word, then count words)

Although arriving at slightly different counts, all three programs were between 3,100-3,200 words. I spoke with the client and asked them to update their records, explaining the situation.

Good luck.

Best,
David
Collapse

Linguapura
Linguapura
Local time: 16:31
Thank you Mulyadi!!!! You shortcut really helped! Thanks a ton!!!!!!!!!! May 13, 2010

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

alt + f + e + p

msoutopico
msoutopico  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:01
English to Galician
+ ...
without accelerators Jun 2, 2010

The accelerator (Alt + f + e + p) might be useful for users of the GUI in English (?) but accelerators and shortcuts are localized and different in other languages.

Could you send the full name of the menus that those letters allegedly open?

THanks to all.
Manuel

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count PowerPoint 2007

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »