Your recommended term extraction SW (is Term Extract any good?)
Thread poster: Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:11
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2007

Hello,

Is anybody using any term extraction software to their advantage?

I looked at a description of SDLX Term Extract yesterday. Even downloaded the UG and liked the way it's supposed to work, but some things will work in theory and fail in real life circumstances...

My situation is as follows: With a surge increase in business (thanks from here to the moon and back, ProZ!) and some high volume projects, I want a tool to extract terminology from the proje
... See more
Hello,

I looked at a description of SDLX Term Extract yesterday. Even downloaded the UG and liked the way it's supposed to work, but some things will work in theory and fail in real life circumstances...

My situation is as follows: With a surge increase in business (thanks from here to the moon and back, ProZ!) and some high volume projects, I want a tool to extract terminology from the project before I start work on it to examine the terminology and evaluate how much research will be required.

Is Term Extract a reliable tool for this? Or any other tool you have experience with?

Another thing I would need a tool for is stock phrases that always appear in documentation. Things like 'For more information about..., see...', 'You must have administrator permissions to...', etc. Dozens or hundreds of them in every project. Assuring consistency would be a nice thing.

Will Term Extract type of SW handle such phrases as well? I know that TE has a setting for the max no. of words it will treat as a term, but the more you increase it, the more likely you are to end up with a lot of rubbish. On the other hand, SDLX also has software called PhraseFinder, which might be better suited for the job judging by the name.

One more note: to simplify the matter, you may assume (as this is true) that I do not want to create term/phrase bases from existing translations. I want to do monolingual, extracting terms/phrases from completely new projects to research, translate myself, and preferably populate/propagate in project files.

Any hands-on input will be much appreciated.

Maciek
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Tim Craven's tool Oct 18, 2007

Maciek Drobka wrote:

Tim Craven's ExtPhr32 is a good tool... unfortunately it converts all text to uppercase during the extraction. It is fast and easy to use. Linux people, eat your heart out.

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Deja Vu's Lexicon Builder Oct 18, 2007

Maciek Drobka wrote:
Another thing I would need a tool for is stock phrases that always appear in documentation. Things like 'For more information about..., see...', 'You must have administrator permissions to...', etc. Dozens or hundreds of them in every project. Assuring consistency would be a nice thing.
One more note: to simplify the matter, you may assume (as this is true) that I do not want to create term/phrase bases from existing translations. I want to do monolingual, extracting terms/phrases from completely new projects to research, translate myself, and preferably populate/propagate in project files.
Maciek

Deja Vu DVX will do all this. It includes an integrated Lexicon Builder and you can also alphabetically sort and filter on stock phrases.

BR,
David

Simon Sobrero
Simon Sobrero  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
SDL Phrasefinder - tried and tested....but.... Nov 11, 2007

Hi Maciek,
I have tried SDL Phrasefinder - (apparently it is better than multiterm extract - at least for the latin languages)
It does a very good job of extracting monolingual and bilingual terminology, I was very impressed. It focuses on best terminology candidates ( especially 'noun phrases', adjectives and verbs) rather than most frequent e.g.

"associazioni di categoria di costruttori di piattaforme di sollevamento", where 'associazioni' is a noun.

NB if
... See more
Hi Maciek,
I have tried SDL Phrasefinder - (apparently it is better than multiterm extract - at least for the latin languages)
It does a very good job of extracting monolingual and bilingual terminology, I was very impressed. It focuses on best terminology candidates ( especially 'noun phrases', adjectives and verbs) rather than most frequent e.g.

"associazioni di categoria di costruttori di piattaforme di sollevamento", where 'associazioni' is a noun.

NB if you are after large or very common phrases, why not use a phrase frequency programme? I use Textanz about US$ 10-15. It will simply analyse any duplicates in your new text.

However, I tried to use SDL Phrasefinder precisely to input my previous large body of data for a bilingual extraction, and with anything above 100,000 words, the programme either crashed, didn't display properly, or took 24 hours before I gave up! I have never been given an explanation or a remedy for this failure. Can anybody help out there?

OK, so basically don't spend hundreds of pounds if you just want monolingual extraction. I know there are several cheaper programs out there. But why don't you want to use bilingual extraction? it might be very useful
- also Phrasefinder can extract the root of a term - i.e. both the singular and the plural.

[Edited at 2007-11-11 19:00]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:11
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Windows version of ExtPhr32 -> Sep 1, 2010

Thanks for the tip Samuel! By the way, there are Windows exe's available of ExtPhr32 here: http://publish.uwo.ca/~craven/freeware.htm

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your recommended term extraction SW (is Term Extract any good?)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »