Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Nov 8, 2007

When MSNBC.com broadcast the presidential candidates debate last week, the video (and also links to still photos) failed to launch on both IE and Mozilla. The problem continues and it happens with CNN.com, too, but if I go to youtube, video clips run without a problem.

I reinstalled Java, but the problem continues. When I run the Java console, it says that the proxy is not found, but I don't think that is the problem (I have things set to directly connect to the Internet).
... See more
When MSNBC.com broadcast the presidential candidates debate last week, the video (and also links to still photos) failed to launch on both IE and Mozilla. The problem continues and it happens with CNN.com, too, but if I go to youtube, video clips run without a problem.

I reinstalled Java, but the problem continues. When I run the Java console, it says that the proxy is not found, but I don't think that is the problem (I have things set to directly connect to the Internet).

I also reinstalled Quicktime, but the video links are still not functioning.

Does anyone have any idea what is behind this problem? I don't know where to begin ...

THANKS!
Collapse

Pavel Blann
Pavel Blann  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:18
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
it may be... Nov 9, 2007

...a security issue.

you probably got very high security settings in your internet apps like ie: tools > internet options > security tab--you should lower them. you could also check windows/other firewall settings.

cheers,
pavel

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thank you, Pavel ... Nov 15, 2007

Pavel Blann wrote:

...a security issue.

you probably got very high security settings in your internet apps like ie: tools > internet options > security tab--you should lower them. you could also check windows/other firewall settings.

cheers,
pavel

First, apologies for not responding sooner! Unfortunately, I checked the firewall and other security settings, and I have them at a mid-level, and hadn't touched them before this problem stated. Oddly, the CNN page is now working, but MSNBC, which just got a reconfiguration, still isn't... Must be something very particular to my set up...

Thanks again, for your time!

Patricia

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:18
English to Swedish
+ ...
bandwidth bottleneck Nov 19, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

First, apologies for not responding sooner! Unfortunately, I checked the firewall and other security settings, and I have them at a mid-level, and hadn't touched them before this problem stated. Oddly, the CNN page is now working, but MSNBC, which just got a reconfiguration, still isn't... Must be something very particular to my set up...

Not necessarily.
The way you describe it, it's almost certainly a remote bandwicth issue.

The site was simply too popular, with too many users trying to access the video/pictures at the same time, so their server couldn't cope!

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

photos/videos won't launch in IE or Mozilla

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »