Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 04:01
English to Greek
+ ...
Jan 5, 2008

I recently installed Babylon 7 and I have noticed that it responds in a strange way.

When I perform a search in the usual way, I get a list of dictionaries and then I have to click on each one of them, to make it open in a separate browser window and show me the result.
When I click on the down arrows on the right nothing happens.

Have you got an idea of what's wrong and suggest a tip or two to fix it?

Thank you
Eleni

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Swedish
+ ...
Setting up and configuration Jan 5, 2008

Have you configured "your" Babylon?
First you have to download the dictionaries you whish to work with from Babylon. Right click on the Babylon symbol on the task bar point at dictionaries and click on Add Dictionary. On Babylon’s web page you can choose the desired dictionaries. I recommend you save them sin your computer.

Next right click on the symbol again, point at Dictionaries and click on Install from disk. Navigate to where you saved your files and select them. The i
... See more
Have you configured "your" Babylon?
First you have to download the dictionaries you whish to work with from Babylon. Right click on the Babylon symbol on the task bar point at dictionaries and click on Add Dictionary. On Babylon’s web page you can choose the desired dictionaries. I recommend you save them sin your computer.

Next right click on the symbol again, point at Dictionaries and click on Install from disk. Navigate to where you saved your files and select them. The installation takes a few minutes, and when completed tells you so.

Now you have to set up the Babylon window. Select a word the usual way. When the Babylon window opens you will find a small square close to the upper left corner. Click on it to open the side bar. Click on My Dictionaries to open the set up window.

There you can select the languages you want Babylon to work with and the dictionaries to use. You can put the in your preferred priority order and choose other presentation options.

And to dig deeper into all the functions there is always Help! Click Options and select help. It’s online and fairly well written (at least the English version).

Good luck!
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice Jan 5, 2008

Well, thank you very much for your tips. Actually, this happened both before and after I had downloaded dictionaries. I had a suspicion that maybe the problem was with the installation, so I uninstalled it and then installed it back and now it works just fine!

I know I still have a lot to learn and I will take your tips seriously.

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Babylon 7

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »