Krzysztof Kłonica
Krzysztof Kłonica  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:35
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 14, 2008

Hello,

I've just recently switched from Acrobat 5.0 to 8.0 and cannot handle one problem.
With the 5.0 version I could save a pdf file to rtf, where I had no images, but only the text and where the font size and colour were preserved. No other formatting was there, which is what I want. I normally saved such files as Word 6.0/95 doc files to import into Deja Vu.

I've tried the same 'trick' with the new version of Acrobat and what I get is an rtf file with countles
... See more
Hello,

I've just recently switched from Acrobat 5.0 to 8.0 and cannot handle one problem.
With the 5.0 version I could save a pdf file to rtf, where I had no images, but only the text and where the font size and colour were preserved. No other formatting was there, which is what I want. I normally saved such files as Word 6.0/95 doc files to import into Deja Vu.

I've tried the same 'trick' with the new version of Acrobat and what I get is an rtf file with countless frames (for each paragraph) and with a layout similar to the original pdf file. Removing each frame to change it to a (almost) plain text is painfull and time consuming (over 300 pages...).

Preserving the font size and colour is very helpful for 'post-production' in Word to get the final version when the translation is done.

Is there a way to make the Adobe Acrobat 8.0 Pro save pdf files as rtf files in the 'old-fashioned' way?
I would appreciate your help.

Chris
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:35
English to French
+ ...
Dunno about Acrobat Pro but... Jan 15, 2008

Even though I can't help you do what you want to do, I may have a solution that will give you the exact same result you are seeking.

Download AutoUnbreak here: http://digital.hollmen.dk/products/autounbreak/index.htm

The purpose of this neat little freeware is to create RTF files out of PDFs. It preserves the basic fomatting (boldface, bullets, etc.) but
... See more
Even though I can't help you do what you want to do, I may have a solution that will give you the exact same result you are seeking.

Download AutoUnbreak here: http://digital.hollmen.dk/products/autounbreak/index.htm

The purpose of this neat little freeware is to create RTF files out of PDFs. It preserves the basic fomatting (boldface, bullets, etc.) but it will not create frames like the ones you mention. It basically makes raw RTF files - pretty much what you are looking for. The only problem with it is that it cannot handle more than 65K characters at a time, so you would need to repeat the process for every dozen or so pages and then assemble the entire document from the partial RTFs.

You should definitely check it out - it's one of my favorite tools and it is very easy to use.

All the best!
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Challenge the support Jan 15, 2008

stake wrote:
With the 5.0 version I could save a pdf file to rtf, where I had no images, but only the text and where the font size and colour were preserved. No other formatting was there, which is what I want.

I've tried the same 'trick' with the new version of Acrobat and what I get is an rtf file with countless frames (for each paragraph) and with a layout similar to the original pdf file.

Is there a way to make the Adobe Acrobat 8.0 Pro save pdf files as rtf files in the 'old-fashioned' way?

Hi Stake,

I would be very interested to hear what the Adobe support has to say about this "misfeature".
I think you should send them this question as a challenge!

They are a very helpful lot, I often mail the Swedish support, they are all located at a callcenter in Rotterdam, and nowadays I don't even have to mention my customer number or serial anymore.

/Jan

Krzysztof Kłonica
Krzysztof Kłonica  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AutoUnbreak... Jan 15, 2008

Viktoria,
Thank you for the link! I've never heard about this little and clever program before. But it works just great. It made my day - so small, so simple, and yet so useful.

Jan,
I will definitely ask the question to the Adobe Support. It seems completely impossible to me that you cannot save 'standard' RTF files from within Acrobat. I will post their reply as soon as I get one.

Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe Acrobat 8.0 Pro - "Save as..." .rtf files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »