Mobile menu

Transcription: ISO software that can control the playback speed of a dvf (Sony) file
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:57
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Feb 5, 2008

I've been given a dvf file (Sony audio) to use it in a transcription project, but I can't find a way to control the playback speed. Dvf files are not very common, but pretty much any media player can play them with the specific plug-in, the problem is that the playback speed option doesn't seem to do anything at all. I've tried WMP, CyberPlayer and Winamp.

I also thought about converting the dvf, but I can't find any free software that does that.

Any ideas?

Claudia

PS. Do we have a Transcription forum?

[Edited at 2008-02-05 18:45]

Direct link Reply with quote

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Convert! Feb 5, 2008

Claudia,

If all else fails... (I couldn't find a suitable converter software, it seems that the all-purpose Super won't handle dvf - I don't have such a file to try).

If you can play something on your computer and hear it, or connect some playing device's output to your computer's audio in, you can record it to WAV, or any of several other audio file types. It's a matter of properly selecting your computer's recording source and adjusting its level. This is a bit tricky, but once you've learned the trick, it's easy.

After you got it to a workable computer audio file, for transcription use the free Express Scribe software, from http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html . It made me retire two huge vintage open-reel Akai tape recorders I used for well over a decade in transcription. No need to buy pedals - the [F]-key commands are great, and your hands will already be over the keyboard.

Good luck!

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:57
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Express Scribe Feb 5, 2008

Thank you Jose Enrique,

I had never heard of this software, but it seems much better than any other free options, and even CyberPlayer which is not free. Unfortunately it doesn't work with dvf files, but I took your advice and recorded it from the computer.

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription: ISO software that can control the playback speed of a dvf (Sony) file

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs