Mobile menu

Text search tool for Latvian
Thread poster: Cecilia Falk

Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:51
English to Swedish
Feb 21, 2008

Hi,
I am looking for a text search tool that can handle and display the diacritic characters used in Latvian.
I use normally Examine, but it can not handle these charachters.
Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Cecilia

[Edited at 2008-02-21 00:51]

Direct link Reply with quote

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Copernic Desktop Search Feb 21, 2008

http://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/

It recognizes Polish diacritics without problems, so it should handle Latvian diacritics.

Pawel Skalinski

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 06:51
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Inforapid Feb 21, 2008

www.inforapid.com

searches for words/phrases within various document types. No problems with diacritics- but, of course, I have Latvian enabled on my computer.

Uldis

Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 21, 2008

Tried InfoRapid first as it did not need indexing - did not work (handle diacritics), probably due to the fact that I do not have Latvian enabled (how do you do that?).
Will try out Copernic later.

Best regards,
Cecilia

PS. I am trying to sort out this problem for a collegue who translates from Latvian, that's why it might sound as I don't know what I am talking about. DS.

Max Masutin
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
AVSearch from www.avtlab.ru Apr 19, 2008

Or try this. There must be versions other than Russian. Tip: To copy and paste characters with diacritics correctly, you may need to enable more codepages or change the system locale to the target language or that which supports the required codepage, such as Baltic. Just adding a keyboard layout may not do it. Choose Language & Regional Settings, More Options (names may vary) in Control Panel. There may be other issues, such as with the format of files you search in.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Enabling Latvian (or any other languuage) Apr 19, 2008

Cecilia Falk wrote:

Tried InfoRapid first as it did not need indexing - did not work (handle diacritics), probably due to the fact that I do not have Latvian enabled (how do you do that?).

Control panel- Regional and Language Options- Advanced.

Choose Latvian in the upper dropdown menu and, amopng others, check "28594 (ISO 8859-4 Baltics)" in the lower window.

HTH,

Uldis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text search tool for Latvian

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs