Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2008

I use Abby PDF Trans 2.0 to convert Word to PDF.

However, how can I lock the PDF so that it can't be tampered with? (I have to issue tamper-proof certificates).

Is there any free or cheap, but good, software for this?

TIA:-)

Ailish

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:02
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Better make them images Mar 3, 2008

E.g., Full Acrobat (don't know about a Reader) has an option to password protect the file, however, there are many softwares around for breaking these passwords. As many of us know, various PDF manuals use to be password protected after the creation and nobody ever remember these passwords afterwards. As we regularly receive password protected PDFs for translation (and during the years there has not been a single case when the customer was able tell the password or was even aware that his file i... See more
E.g., Full Acrobat (don't know about a Reader) has an option to password protect the file, however, there are many softwares around for breaking these passwords. As many of us know, various PDF manuals use to be password protected after the creation and nobody ever remember these passwords afterwards. As we regularly receive password protected PDFs for translation (and during the years there has not been a single case when the customer was able tell the password or was even aware that his file is protected), I use such password-crackers from time to time.
Just Google "PDF password cracker"- 4,770,000 hits.

Therefore I don't think it's worth while to invest any money in password-protected PDF creator, if somebody will want to tamper with your PDF, he'll do it.

IMHO, the safest way is to save such certificates as images- though that also will not help against a Photoshop user.

In short, there are simply no absolute safety.

Uldis

Lia Fail wrote:
However, how can I lock the PDF so that it can't be tampered with? (I have to issue tamper-proof certificates).
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 07:02
English to Indonesian
+ ...
pdf security settings on abbyy pdf transformer Mar 3, 2008

there is pdf security settings on abbyy pdf trans 2.0. you can password protect the file to restrict opening and/or editing and printing. the features are similar to the security settings in acrobat.

i restrict editing and extracting
... See more
there is pdf security settings on abbyy pdf trans 2.0. you can password protect the file to restrict opening and/or editing and printing. the features are similar to the security settings in acrobat.

i restrict editing and extracting on my pdf resume. i don't think you can convert a restricted pdf into other file, i.e., image, electronically making the file fairly secured. however, if you allow your document to be printed, the printed file can be scanned then extracted using ocr, i.e., abbyy.

[Edited at 2008-03-03 17:32]
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:02
Swedish to English
+ ...
Encrypt Mar 3, 2008

You can encrypt a PDF file and restrict users. You can read it on screen, but if you save the text to a file, it is gobbledygook. Useful for protecting glossaries etc.

In Adobe Professional, see Document / Security / Encrypt

RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Digital signature Mar 4, 2008

Peter Linton wrote:

You can encrypt a PDF file and restrict users. You can read it on screen, but if you save the text to a file, it is gobbledygook. Useful for protecting glossaries etc.

But once somebody has the document on screen he/she can take an screenshot, and then use OCR software to convert the bitmap to text, change it and save it again as a PDF file.

You can use strong cryptographic cyphers using GnuPG (absolutely free) and nobody will be able to read the file unless you allow that person to do it. But once the document is on screen (it's supposed that somebody will be allowed to do so), you have no choice, that person can save the screens as bitmaps and then use OCR software on them.

For certificates I think the right solution is a digital signature. Have a look at GnuPG: http://gnupg.org/ You will not spend a single cent. And let anybody to modify the document: checking the signature will show that the modified ones are fraudulent.

Ignacio

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
try screen shots as jpg Mar 5, 2008

I use snag IT and assign passwords. Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

locking a PDF file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »