Thread poster: Parrot
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2003

The following Spanish-to-English glossary terms have been brought up for arbitrage:

http://www.pro
... See more
The following Spanish-to-English glossary terms have been brought up for arbitrage:

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/494977
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/494969
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/494466
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/494947 (was corrected, but apparently not satisfactory)
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/494522
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/494428

This thread will be bilingual, since the participation of native English speakers will be highly appreciated. (Note that the pages themselves contain heated points of debate).

Cecilia
Collapse

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
an egg is an egg is an egg... Aug 7, 2003

I know it was me who proposed star-shaped and I have to back down now:
Restaurants in BCN actually provide "huevos estrellados" eggs fournished with fries (all of it with a star shape) - and this is not the real meaning of it:

I have made consults with real experts from Lucio (Madrid) and they provided me with the real meaning of it (for Spain):

First of all you fry fries (...) then you remove extra oil and break the egg on top of it. The egg becomes half fried, h
... See more
I know it was me who proposed star-shaped and I have to back down now:
Restaurants in BCN actually provide "huevos estrellados" eggs fournished with fries (all of it with a star shape) - and this is not the real meaning of it:

I have made consults with real experts from Lucio (Madrid) and they provided me with the real meaning of it (for Spain):

First of all you fry fries (...) then you remove extra oil and break the egg on top of it. The egg becomes half fried, half scrambled... broken to make it short (estrellado). Then you can add up chorizo, morcilla,... depending on preferences.

So I would put it like "broken fried/scrambled eggs with fries", whilst leaving the original term of course. That's more or less what Margaret proposed and I agree with her. Others' opinions, I think also point this way.

Cheers and bon appetit!!

Rb

[Edited at 2003-08-07 15:43]
Collapse

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lucio Aug 7, 2003

We'll have to remember him for a future PW...

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be a hungry forum?

[Edited at 2003-08-07 15:51]

Lucy Phillips
Lucy Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
foul stuff! Aug 7, 2003

For the horrible sounding poultry/fowl brochette, it's just a chicken and vegetable kebab/brochette!

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem Aug 7, 2003

Lucy Phillips wrote:

For the horrible sounding poultry/fowl brochette, it's just a chicken and vegetable kebab/brochette!

Market availability of quail, pheasant, duck, turkey and ostrich...

Lucy Phillips
Lucy Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
point accepted Aug 7, 2003

but "poultry brochette" still sounds horrible!

Parrot wrote:

Lucy Phillips wrote:

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Heartily agree Aug 7, 2003

but here's where our cultural interfaces should work. (I'm still pondering "smashed eggs").

jmf (X)
jmf (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm going with the chicken here... Aug 7, 2003

Agree with Lucy, the other options don't sound very appetizing. The only other thing that might work would be "white-meat", but I honestly can't imagine this being called anything other than chicken (at least in the US)

[Edited at 2003-08-07 16:42]

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
foodstuff Aug 7, 2003

Parrot wrote:

Cecilia, if this is really going to be a hungry forum.... well, you better go and hide somewhere! ;D

Really, I'm going to get something to eat now. I don't doubt it's your fault, of course.

Rb

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Fowl kebabs and good ones too Aug 7, 2003

Lucy Phillips wrote:

I quite agree 'poultry kebab' sounds horrible and I've never heard (or seen) it used. Fowl kebab sounds even worse:-( - for reasons already given:-)

Chicken and vegetable kebab sounds fine to me. What would be useful of course - and it's no doubt impossible - is to get more information from the guy who posted the question - Mike. I mean he could perhaps ask the client what meat was used. Checking on Google (very quickly) I only found 3 hits for 'brocheta de ave' - all from Chile and from menus - so I couldn't find any recipes.

Sheila

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
The other white meat Aug 7, 2003

jmf wrote:
e only other thing that might work would be "white-meat", but I honestly can't imagine this being called anything other than chicken (at least in the US)
[/quote]

Pork, the other white meat. (This is a USA campaign, by the way.) Much lampooned by those with salacious minds.

[Edited at 2003-08-07 18:42]

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got news for you... Aug 7, 2003

Ostrich is red meat ...

Chicken would be fine for a VIPS menu... but Toledo, famous for other-fowl? (BTW, parrots are not... NO, NO, NO...) The problem here is a cultural one -- where do English-speakers eat other things than chicken?

P.S.: Sheila, I got into the menus. They distinguish between pollo and ave (& curiously, so do Knorr cubes...)

[Edited at 2003-08-07 18:56]

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Batman! Aug 7, 2003

Parrot wrote:

Ostrich is red meat ...

Chicken would be fine for a VIPS menu... but Toledo, famous for other-fowl? (BTW, parrots are not... NO, NO, NO...) The problem here is a cultural one -- where do English-speakers eat other things than chicken?

Well, if it were in the UK at any rate it could be turkey - turkey kebabs are not uncommon - and turkey is quite popular (in the UK at least) all year round - not just at Christmas. However, in Mike's question we don't know where the kebab was being prepared - unfortunately.

I just read what you said about the Knorr cubes, Cecilia - well, ave may not be chicken then! This is making think of batman - is it a bird? is it a plane?...no it's an AVE

Now that's gone and made me think of trains...

Sheila

P.S. STORKS ARE NOT WHITE MEAT EITHER:-) Just so nobody gets any ideas...

[Edited at 2003-08-07 18:58]

[Edited at 2003-08-07 19:04]

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2003

[Edited at 2004-06-16 05:04]

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't give up too easily Aug 7, 2003

Marijke Singer wrote:

Maybe someone should take the decision that the terms being discussed should NOT be added to the glossaries in this case.

Just think back to the days when jolly old England still ate wild fowl - what would Chaucer have called them? Not that all the birds that go into a Spanish menu are hunted - they breed quails, pheasants, and yes, ostriches... (this takes a psychological quantum leap, but once someone has fooled you into thinking it was ox filet and you found no difference, you're bound to be a bit more permissive).

NO storks. NO parrots. But I've heard of doves going into the pot... oh, well...

How do you translate "volaille", anyway?

[Edited at 2003-08-07 21:29]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arbitrage: Bilingual Forum on Several Glossary Terms

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »