What's the best English>Spanish>English dictionary?
Thread poster: Evgeny Filimonov
Evgeny Filimonov  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 08:49
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 15, 2003

Direct link Reply with quote

David Epstein  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
The best Sep 15, 2003

The Oxford Spanish Dictionary is the best with no doubt. There's now a very recent 3rd Edition packed with examples

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
¿Existe el mejor diccionario? Sep 15, 2003

- Collins Dictionary (Grijalbo)
- Simon & Schuster
- el viejo Appleton a veces me saca de apuros

No creo que exista el mejor diccionario. Todos van sumando. Ahora, si el tema es cuál comprar en primer lugar, es otra cosa. La última edición de Simon es muy buena.

Saludos, Au

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:49
German to English
+ ...
Aurora, Sep 15, 2003

You mean there is finally a new edition of the Simon & Schuster? Can you give details, please?

Gracias,

Trudy

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
hola Sep 15, 2003

Hola Trudy:

Yo tengo la segunda, no sé si hay una posterior.

El énfasis de mi mensaje está en que no creo que exista "el" diccionario. Voy primero a Collins pero muchas veces Collins me dice no y Simon me dice: sí.

¿Cuál es el mejor jurídico inglés-español? ¿Mazzuco, West, Cabanellas? Por olfato si es Derecho Procesal seguro arranco con Mazzuco. Si es una palabra de derecho de otro país latinoamericano sin dudas, voy a West. Si quiero una definición voy a Guillermo Cabanellas.

That was my point. Saludos,

Au

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oxford or Collins Sep 15, 2003

Hola,

The basic start-up dictionary should be either Oxford or Collins.

Once you have one of the above, you may go for the other and/or Aurora's S&S and start building your library.

Ciao,

JL

[Edited at 2003-09-15 23:02]

Rocío Aguilar Otsu  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
For me, the Oxford dictionary Sep 16, 2003

David Epstein wrote:

The Oxford Spanish Dictionary is the best with no doubt. There's now a very recent 3rd Edition packed with examples

I can also say that Oxford is a very good one, so I recommend it. I have the very first edition and it's still great for me, so I'll buy the newest edition for sure.

Сергей Лузан
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:49
German to Russian
+ ...
What's the best English>Spanish>English dictionary? Sep 16, 2003

Evgeniy Filimonov wrote:

Collins Spanish Dictionary, ISBN 0-00-470295-6 is surely among them. Or are you interested in some specialized ones?

xxxtazdog
Spain
Local time: 02:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
I use two Sep 16, 2003

As others have said, there are several good ones. I use the "big" Collins (mine is the 6th edition, 2000) and the Simon and Schuster 2nd edition. I have found Collins to be much more complete for the Spanish of Spain, while S&S is more slanted towards the Spanish of Latin America. Collins gives more examples of how certain words are used, plus occasional additional explanations (many of them cultural references--often very useful). S&S has quite a lot of technical words--in fact, sometimes I've found words in there that weren't in either of my two technical dictionaries! So it all depends on what your particular needs are.

Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
dictionaries and thesaurus Sep 16, 2003

Este es el foro en español así que voy a escribir en español

Cuando empecé a estudiar traducción una traductora me dijo que el Oxford era el mejor, así que me lo compré y te puedo decir que 97% de las veces he encontrado allí lo que buscaba. Por supuesto, sí he escuchado de la buena fama de Simon & Schuster.

Ahora, yo no uso ninguno de estos diccionarios básicos (en papel) Mis diccionarios de uso diario son en CD.

* Tengo el Oxford Superlex ISBN 0-19-268308-X, el cual es la versión del Oxford en CD.
* Microsoft Bookshelf en Español, que comprende diccionario monolingüe del español, diccionario bilingüe inglés-español y viceversa, y sinónimos y antónimos (lo cual me ayuda muchísimo para darle color y precisión a mis traducciones)
* Diccionario monolingüe del inglés Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary ISBN 0-375-40840-1
* Webster's New World Dictionary & Thesaurus. Este lo uso por su Thesaurus, que es tan importante.

Estos cuatro CD están siempre abiertos cuando estoy trabajando, si los pudieran tener en un sólo CD ese sería el mejor diccionario que te podría recomendar.

Pamela

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search