US Soap operas in Latin America?
Thread poster: Esther Hermida

Esther Hermida  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 2, 2002

I need to know ASAP if the American soaps are shown in Latin America if so, Do they have a different title or name?

Examples: As the World turns.

The Bold and the Beautiful

The Young and the Restless

Guiding Light

ETC.

I don\'t need a translation, just the names as they\'re known there.

You can eithe post it here or email me

zinnesther@aol.com

I would really appreciate all the help I can get. I was asked to do a simulcast and this is part of my prep. research.

Direct link Reply with quote

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hola Esther! May 3, 2002

Hummm... parece que los traductores no miramos mucha tele (yes, yes, yes ... QUÉ BUENO!!!!).

Mi cuota semanal es de una hora y media

En cuanto pueda me fijo en la revista de Cable y te contesto en relación con mi país (Argentina).

Hay sí una inundación de series norteamericanas pero soap operas hum... Me fijo y te cuento.

Saludos,

Aurora

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-03 19:09 ]

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:09
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not in Mexico May 3, 2002

An answer from Mexico: to the best of my knowledge, these are not shown on Mexican TV, at least not on any channel that you can get without cable.

We have dozens of homegrown \"telenovelas\", but although these are sometimes described as \"soap operas\", they have some significant differences from the American form.

Oigan, ¿hay algunos aficionados de \"Mirada de una mujer\" o \"Demasiado Corazon\" en este foro?

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only one in Uruguay, no more. May 3, 2002

The most popular soap operas in Uruguay are those from Brazil. Though I am not a soap opera fan myself, I admit that I used to watch brazilian soap operas when I lived down there. They are excellent!

However, though I did not watch it, I do remember \"The Bold and the Beautiful\" was shown for a long time, so looooooooooong that I do not understand how people could stand it. I do not remember now how it had been translated to spanish, but I can find out.

When I came to the USA two years ago, \"The Bold and the Beautiful is still alive\". Couldn\'t believe it. In Uruguay it had been running for about 5 or 6 years already.

With that exception, I cannot recall seeing another american soap opera there.

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Proofreading ... :))) 4 words missing! Gee!! May 3, 2002

of : \"Only one in Uruguay, no more\"

The most popular soap operas in Uruguay are those from Brazil. Though I am not a soap opera fan myself, I admit that I used to watch brazilian soap operas when I lived down there. They are excellent!

However, though I did not watch it, I do remember \"The Bold and the Beautiful\" was shown for a long time, so looooooooooong that I do not understand how people could stand it. I do not remember now how it had been translated to spanish, but I can find out.

When I came to the USA two years ago, I FOUND OUT THAT [ these were the 4 words missing] \"The Bold and the Beautiful was still alive\". Couldn\'t believe it. In Uruguay it had been running for about 5 or 6 years already.

With that exception, I cannot recall seeing another american soap opera there.

Monica Colangelo  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
No en Argentina May 4, 2002

En Argentina hay más de cien series -literalmente- repartidas entre varios canales de cable y algunos de aire. Sin embargo no hay una sola novela de Estados Unidos.

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Novelas norteamericanas May 5, 2002

Confirmo lo que pensaba y lo que dice mi colega Trixie más arriba.

En la Argentina no hay telenovelas (novelas, culebrones en otros países, creo) es que los canales se compraron TODAS las series norteamericanas.

Complicao para los actores argentinos, no?

Digo, o sea.....

Esther Hermida  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Novelas norteamericanas May 5, 2002

Muchísimas gracias a todos por su cooperación. Ya lo único que me falta es hablar con el distribuidor de cada uno de los tres canales y averiguar a donde demonios las distribuyen.

Cynthia Brals-Rud  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
en Holanda May 6, 2002

Hola Esther: las distrubuyen en Holanda. Hace años que pasan cada una de las telenovelas en tu lista. Quería ayudarte, pero los títulos aquí se dejan en idioma original. Y si los tradujeran, bueno, de qué te serviría la traducción neerlandesa... Coraje y buena suerte!

Cynthia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US Soap operas in Latin America?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs