Luis Arri Cibils
Luis Arri Cibils  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 2, 2006

Dear colleagues,

WARNING!

I have just received an email, asking for my interpreting services for 10 days in December, 2006 to help the sender’s wife, still a Reverend, to do some shopping when they visit Greer, SC, of all the places! Of course, the wife is Spanish-speaking (EN>ES is still my pair, as stated on the ATA website), and still a Reverend. As usual, the email offers to pay in advance (to later cancel the assignment and request a partial refund; as usual, t
... See more
Dear colleagues,

WARNING!

I have just received an email, asking for my interpreting services for 10 days in December, 2006 to help the sender’s wife, still a Reverend, to do some shopping when they visit Greer, SC, of all the places! Of course, the wife is Spanish-speaking (EN>ES is still my pair, as stated on the ATA website), and still a Reverend. As usual, the email offers to pay in advance (to later cancel the assignment and request a partial refund; as usual, the advanced check will be bogus, but the refund check will be good, letting the interpreter out in the cold.) I am still told to remain blessed per the signature line.

The only new thing, other than a somewhat improved English, is that the email apparently comes from an administrator from an apparently legit Nigerian university and attaches a link to the website of said university. The purported sender of the email (at least, his last name) is listed on that website as an administrator. However, the administrator’s e-mail address, per the website, seems legit, [initials of the administrator]@[name of the U.].edu.ng, while the e-mail address from where I received the message is [name(actually nickname + partial last name)]@yahoo.com

I was temped to write the U., warning them about the scam, but I decided I wasn't sure even that the website was legit. Answering emails from criminals such as scammers is not an advisable thing to do.

I am sure that most of ATA’s members have received this type of emails in the past. Yet, if somebody is still unaware of these scams, I wanted them to know about them.

Please, be careful. Greetings from the international vacation spot of Greer, SC,

Luis
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
thank you ... Dec 2, 2006

We cannot be too careful, so thanks for letting us know this latest twist.

I never "fall" for the scam, but I get such a kick out of reading the letters! I'm sure Greer is full of wonderful things, but a stop in New York or Washington first might be advised

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning colleagues: A new and improved "Nigerian scam"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »