Thread poster: SlawekW
SlawekW
SlawekW
Local time: 18:42
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 30, 2007

Hello;)

I wonder if anyone could help me and advise on the cost of long term lets in Spain. I am very seriously considering a temporary move (6- 12 months, maybe longer), to have a break from the cold and the politics in my country... What I am looking for is a one-bedroom place, with a decent kitchen and an adequate place to work (this involves broadband internet). I'd definitely prefer somewhere non- touristy, but within a reasonable distance from cultural centres. Please don't a
... See more
Hello;)

I wonder if anyone could help me and advise on the cost of long term lets in Spain. I am very seriously considering a temporary move (6- 12 months, maybe longer), to have a break from the cold and the politics in my country... What I am looking for is a one-bedroom place, with a decent kitchen and an adequate place to work (this involves broadband internet). I'd definitely prefer somewhere non- touristy, but within a reasonable distance from cultural centres. Please don't ask me 'Where in Spain?' - what I'd love to hear about is people's favourite places there.

Most of the websites advertise short term rentals for tourists but I guess the best deals are - as in most of countries - available via classifieds in local papers or small local estate agents.

What I will probably do is make a small recce tour, but I'd love to have some preliminary ideas about where to go. All help will be greatly appreciated!

Warm regards,

Slawek
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:42
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lots of options Jan 31, 2007

For tourism, I love Barcelona. Most of the Spaniards I know say their favorite Spanish city is Seville. But for a long-term stay, my absolute first choice would be Madrid (especially if you know Spanish).

It's a vibrant, culturally fascinating city, with good public transit and a very pedestrian-friendly downtown.

You can find lots of apartment rental and tourist informa
... See more
For tourism, I love Barcelona. Most of the Spaniards I know say their favorite Spanish city is Seville. But for a long-term stay, my absolute first choice would be Madrid (especially if you know Spanish).

It's a vibrant, culturally fascinating city, with good public transit and a very pedestrian-friendly downtown.

You can find lots of apartment rental and tourist information on the web site www.madridman.com. The site's "All-Spain" bulletin board is also a good place to ask these sorts of questions.

Buen viaje!
Collapse

SlawekW
SlawekW
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
budgetary restrictions Jan 31, 2007

I forgot to say, I'd rather not spend more than 400 EUR/month on accomodation, and - as is often the case - the cheaper the better. This I gather excludes places like Madrid or Barcelona...

Another thing is that I am looking for something "real" and as far away from the tourist crowd as reasonably possible.

Regards,
Slawek

[Edited at 2007-01-31 00:21]

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:42
English to Spanish
Consider sharing or stay away from big cities Jan 31, 2007

My daughter just returned from living one year in Spain, both in Madrid and Barcelona. In both cities, we were able to find excellent accomodations in shared flats with other 3 or 4 people. The rent was between 320 and 380 euro, including Internet access, cable TV, her own room with lock and key.

I agree with Steven about Madrid but if you are not going with a tourist interest in mind, consider moving to a smaller city; stick to the South if you are looking for good weather. Rent s
... See more
My daughter just returned from living one year in Spain, both in Madrid and Barcelona. In both cities, we were able to find excellent accomodations in shared flats with other 3 or 4 people. The rent was between 320 and 380 euro, including Internet access, cable TV, her own room with lock and key.

I agree with Steven about Madrid but if you are not going with a tourist interest in mind, consider moving to a smaller city; stick to the South if you are looking for good weather. Rent should be less expensive and you might find something for you alone.

If I were to do something similar I would pick Cordoba, Valencia, Alicante or the Canary Islands. Not as bustling as Madrid or Barcelona but fairly decent in size.
Collapse

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Polecam Granade :) Jan 31, 2007

Piekne stare miasto. Nieduze, ale tetniace mlodoscia i zyciem dzieki jednemu z wiekszych (i najstarszych) hiszpanskich uniwersytetow. Do tego, dosc duzo cudzoziemcow (piekny kompleks palacowy Alhambra jest najliczniej odwiedzanym hiszpanskim zabytkiem + Uniwersytet w Granadzie przyjmuje najwieksza liczbe stupendystow programu Erazmus i innych wymian).

Fakt, ze Granada jest jednym z najtanszych miast Hiszpanii jest duzym duzym plusem. Za 300-350 EUR mozesz zamieszkac w umeblowanej ka
... See more
Piekne stare miasto. Nieduze, ale tetniace mlodoscia i zyciem dzieki jednemu z wiekszych (i najstarszych) hiszpanskich uniwersytetow. Do tego, dosc duzo cudzoziemcow (piekny kompleks palacowy Alhambra jest najliczniej odwiedzanym hiszpanskim zabytkiem + Uniwersytet w Granadzie przyjmuje najwieksza liczbe stupendystow programu Erazmus i innych wymian).

Fakt, ze Granada jest jednym z najtanszych miast Hiszpanii jest duzym duzym plusem. Za 300-350 EUR mozesz zamieszkac w umeblowanej kawalerce blisko centrum (zreszta tutaj centrum zawsze jest "za rogiem"). Za linie telefoniczna i internet zaplacisz dodatkowo 35 EUR (1 mega + darmowe rozmowy na tel. stacjonarne na terenie kraju).
Jako, ze miasto jest nieduze, zaoszczedzasz na transporcie miejskim (wszedzie mozna sie dostac na piechote) i... na czasie.

A do tego milutko i cieplutko. Sama przyjechalam tu ponad 7 lat temu i... tak (poki co) zostalo

Jesli masz wiecej pytan, skontaktuj sie ze mna prywatnie i pogadamy

Pozdrawiam,

M.
Collapse

Rosa Diez Tagarro
Rosa Diez Tagarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Granada, Tarragona... Jan 31, 2007

Hi, Slawek,

You'd find it's difficult to find accommodation in Madrid or Barcelona (both in terms of money and also because there are not many flats to rent).

Granada is a very nice option, I think, though winters are chilly.

A quiet place with amazing weather all year round and just one hour away from Barcelona by train is Tarragona, maybe you'd like to consider that too.

The islands are nice (maybe too quiet for what you're looking for), but
... See more
Hi, Slawek,

You'd find it's difficult to find accommodation in Madrid or Barcelona (both in terms of money and also because there are not many flats to rent).

Granada is a very nice option, I think, though winters are chilly.

A quiet place with amazing weather all year round and just one hour away from Barcelona by train is Tarragona, maybe you'd like to consider that too.

The islands are nice (maybe too quiet for what you're looking for), but transport to the rest of Spain is quite expensive, if you'd like to travel around a bit.

After a while in Spain, you'd find you will definitely need a break from the politics here!

Best of luck!

Rosa
Collapse

Pilar Díez
Pilar Díez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why not a town in the north? Jan 31, 2007

Hi!

Life in Spain is particularly expensive, mostly since the implementation of the euro. If you are looking for something different, with nice atmosphere, why not choosing the north?
A town like Bilbao or Donostia-San Sebastián offer you the possibility to have a nice stay in our country. The weather is mild, it is easy to go anywhere on foot and teh atmosphere is just amazing: lots of cultural events, and very lively streets...

Anyway, if you want asomething c
... See more
Hi!

Life in Spain is particularly expensive, mostly since the implementation of the euro. If you are looking for something different, with nice atmosphere, why not choosing the north?
A town like Bilbao or Donostia-San Sebastián offer you the possibility to have a nice stay in our country. The weather is mild, it is easy to go anywhere on foot and teh atmosphere is just amazing: lots of cultural events, and very lively streets...

Anyway, if you want asomething cheap, it will be quite impossible for the money you mention and just for yourself... Try www.elcorreodigital.es or www.alrastro.net for offers.

Good luck!
Collapse

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 17:42
Asturias/ Galicia Jan 31, 2007

I agree with Pilar: Northern Spain can be a great place to stay, and if you definitively don't like big cities, it might be worth staying in a small city or village on the coast in the regions of Asturias or Galicia. The landscape is fascinating, food is delicious, there are some cities around which offer a range of cultural activities (Santiago, Oviedo...) and the prices are lower than in Madrid or Barcelona. The rainy weather may be a problem and for some people it is too quiet, but I would sa... See more
I agree with Pilar: Northern Spain can be a great place to stay, and if you definitively don't like big cities, it might be worth staying in a small city or village on the coast in the regions of Asturias or Galicia. The landscape is fascinating, food is delicious, there are some cities around which offer a range of cultural activities (Santiago, Oviedo...) and the prices are lower than in Madrid or Barcelona. The rainy weather may be a problem and for some people it is too quiet, but I would say it is worth a try!Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Asturias - away from the crowds Jan 31, 2007

After two years in Asturias (and Barcelona and Palma before that) I am still extremely happy in this neck of the woods.
Bilbao in Basque country can be very expensive! It is a nice city to explore though.
I live near Gijon and Oviedo, and I like both cities. Gijon has the added value of being a seaside town.
If you like mountain walking or climbing, and don't mind the possibly rather grey weather in winter, then check out the C
... See more
After two years in Asturias (and Barcelona and Palma before that) I am still extremely happy in this neck of the woods.
Bilbao in Basque country can be very expensive! It is a nice city to explore though.
I live near Gijon and Oviedo, and I like both cities. Gijon has the added value of being a seaside town.
If you like mountain walking or climbing, and don't mind the possibly rather grey weather in winter, then check out the Costa Verde!
http://www.asturiaspicosdeeuropa.com/english/asturias.html
Cities:
http://www.asturiaspicosdeeuropa.com/english/cities.html

[Edited at 2007-01-31 15:48]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

seeking advice on flats to let in Spain

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »