Free online ES medical dictionary; can anyone recommend one?
Thread poster: Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Local time: 01:32
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Mar 27, 2007

Does anyone know a free online Spanish medical dictionary? I've tried searching the forum, but didn't find any topic on this ...

Christine Schmit (X)
Christine Schmit (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to French
+ ...
ES medical dictionary Mar 27, 2007

Hi Peter,

Have a look at the glossary collection on my website http://www.traduction-cs.com/Liens/dictionnaires.html
There are a few medical spanish dictionaries.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Christine

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks ... Mar 27, 2007

Christine. I had a look, but I couldn't find one containing anatomy which is what I am really looking for. My ES vendor told me that in Spanish 'spine' is called 'médula', and I just wanted to find an ES definition/description of 'médula' so that I could convince her that she is not right.

Googling a little more I found this site which contained a definition of 'médula': www.definicion.org.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
use the Google "define" function (<define: "word">) Mar 27, 2007

Peter Fl. Adolph wrote:

Does anyone know a free online Spanish medical dictionary? I've tried searching the forum, but didn't find any topic on this ...

******************Definitions of medula on the Web in Spanish:

* Del latín, medulla, femenino.
es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Médula

* sustancia grasa, blanca o amarillenta situada en la columna vertebral y en el interior de los huesos. En las vieiras también se denomina médula a las huevas de color naranja.
www.portalgastronomico.com/Terminos/Glosario/DiccionarioC_M.htm

* Parénquima incoloro y de membranas tenues que ocupa la parte interna del cilindro central de los tallos y queda limitado al exterior por los hacecillos vasculares.
www.papelnet.cl/ayuda/glosario_m.htm

* Sustancia blanda que se encuentra en el interior de los huesos. Se llama también médula a una parte del cerebro u otras estructuras, como las glándulas suprarrenales.
usuarios.lycos.es/isra2/diccionario.htm

*****************Definitions of spine on the Web:

* spinal column: the series of vertebrae forming the axis of the skeleton and protecting the spinal cord; "the fall broke his back"
* spur: any sharply pointed projection
* a small sharp-pointed tip resembling a spike on a stem or leaf
* the part of a book's cover that encloses the inner side of the book's pages and that faces outward when the book is shelved; "the title and author were printed on the spine of the book"
* a sharp rigid animal process or appendage; as a porcupine quill or a ridge on a bone or a ray of a fish fin
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* Bookbinding is the process of physically assembling a book from a number of separate sheets of paper or other material.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spine_(book)

* Vertebrae (singular: vertebra) are the individual bones that make up the vertebral column (aka spine), is a flexuous and flexible column.There are thirty-three (33) vertebrae in humans, including the five that are fused to form the sacrum and the four coccygeal bones.The upper three regions comprise the remaining 24, and are grouped under the names cervical (7 vertebrae), thoracic (12 vertebrae) and lumbar (5 vertebrae), according to the regions they occupy. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spine(anatomy)

* A spine is a rigid, pointed surface protrubance or needle-like structure on an animal, shell, or plant, presumably serving as a defense against attack by predators. For examples: the quills of a porcupine, the needles of a cactus, or the thorns of a shrub like the rose are all spines. Although spines generally serve as a passive defense mechanism, in some species they can be hollow and contain poisonous substances that cause lasting pain or even paralysis.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spine_(biology)

* The vertebral column (backbone or spine) is a column of vertebrae situated in the dorsal aspect of the abdomen.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spine_(anatomy)

* A single, median supporting element of a fin, usually stiff. Distinguished from a ray in that it is single, median, never branched or jointed.
www.stateofthesalmon.org/resource/glossary.asp

* The back of a bound book connecting the two covers; also called the backbone.
www.bookmasters.com/services/printglossary.htm

* That portion of the book's casing (or binding) that backs the bound page signatures and is visible when the volume is aligned on a bookshelf among other volumes.
www.brochure-design.com/brochure-design-publishing-terms.html

* Back edge of a book.
www.millerbrosengraving.com/resources/glossary.html

* The binding on the side of a book.
aalbc.com/writers/publishing_glossary.htm

* The structural underpinning (provided by acidity and tannin), or backbone, of a wine. A wine with flesh but insufficient spine can come across as flabby or shapeless.
www.wineaccess.com/expert/tanzer/glossary.html

* Part of a book's cover or jacket, visible when the book is on a shelf.
www.bindery.com.au/glossary.htm

* a column in the body consisting of 33 vertebrae
www.spinehospital.com/education/gl_7.html

* Backbone of a book.
www.paperspecs.com/resources/glossary/s.htm

* the back edge of a book. It is the edge seen when the book is put on a shelf.
www.we-trade-books.com/html/glossary.html

* The part of a binder connecting the front and back covers.
www.bjplastics.com/terminology.htm

* Back or binding edge of a publication
www.c-latitude.com/glossary.asp

* Refers to the strength of the arrow shat and its ability to resist bending and to recover after bending or experiencing archer's paradox.
tucsonarchery.com/Archery_Terms.php

* Your spine supports your body and protects the delicate spinal cord and nerves. It comprises 33 vertebrae, grouped into different categories based on location and anatomy. These locations are the cervical, thoracic, lumbar, sacral and coccygeal regions.
www.thehoustonchiropractor.com/glossary.html

* The back of a book, connecting the front and back covers–visible when the report is shelved. EIA reports of 96 pages or over usually have spines. Type on the spine reads from the top down.
www.eia.doe.gov/neic/pubstyle/glossary.htm

* the rigid part of a bound book, where the covers and pages are joined.
nashlinks.com/glossary.htm

* The folded and stapled part of the comic book.
www.utv.ee/~ivar/comics/dictionary.html

* The backbone, or back, of the book where the title (if present) is displayed when it is standing upright on a shelf.
www.ioba.org/terms.html

* Hard, sharp structure on the surface of a plant; usually a modified leaf.
www.fao.org/docrep/003/X3910E/X3910E22.htm

* Spiky or thorn-like protuberance on shell surface; may be flattened or rounded, foliated or pointed at outer end, solid or tubular.
www.fish.washington.edu/naturemapping/mollusks/glossary.html

* a sharp, pointed, modified leaf found in areoles of cacti.
www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/plants/types/cactus/glossary.shtml

* the back of a book, where the title, author's and publisher's name normally appear.
www.publishers.org.uk/paweb/paweb.nsf/0/AB6267C37C470E1480256AD80057F556

* the part of a book on which the title appears.
www.loc.gov/preserv/bachbase/bbcgloss.html

* [sp-eye-n] a sharp, thornlike outgrowth of the exoskeleton.
members.aol.com/YESedu/glossary.html

* inflammatory arthritis of the spine; eg ankylosing spondylitis.
www.arc.org.uk/about_arth/glossary.htm

***************Definitions of columna vertebral on the Web in Spanish:

* La columna vertebral es el recubrimiento óseo de la médula espinal de algunos animales, constituido por vértebras y que hace de soporte del resto de los huesos del esqueleto. Los animales que la poseen se denominan vertebrados.
es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columna_vertebral

médula f
1 (de hueso, tallo) marrow
médula espinal, spinal cord

[Edited at 2007-03-27 18:15]

Here's a parallel text from a prestigious body:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/spanish/lesion_de_la_medula_espinal.htm
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/sci/sci.htm

[Edited at 2007-03-27 18:17]

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:32
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Free online Sp medical dictionary Mar 27, 2007

Peter Fl. Adolph wrote:

Sp-Sp?

Have you seen this one?

DICCIONARIO ILUSTRADO DE TÉRMINOS MÉDICOS- [ Translate this page ]DICCIONARIO ILUSTRADO DE TÉRMINOS MÉDICOS. Diccionario de Terminología Médica. ... Humoralismo: sistema médico de la antiguedad que atribuía las ...
www.iqb.es/diccio/h/hu.htm - 45k - Cached - Similar pages

Roxanna Delgado
Roxanna Delgado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:32
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Médula espinal= spinal cord Mar 28, 2007

Peter, I think her confussion comes from this: "médula espinal" is spinal cord in English, but in that case spinal would be "espinal" not "médula" , which in this case would be translated as cord, although in other instances is medulla, like in "adrenal medulla" (médula adrenal), or marrow, like in "bone marrow" (médula ósea).
Hope this helps.

Roxanna

rodriguma (X)
rodriguma (X)

Local time: 18:32
Diccionario de Medicina de la Universidad de Navarra Mar 29, 2007

No es nada extraordinario, pero algo sirve.

http://www.cun.es/areadesalud/diccionario/

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Have you tried GlossPost? Mar 29, 2007

Hi Peter,

Above, in the drop-down menu under "Community", extract the GlossPost interface. Set languages Spanish to Spanish and choose (one at a time) Medicine as a general field, or Biology or any related science as specific categories. You can also try keyword searching. There are over 8,000 links filed under this system, you're bound to find something.

I know for a fact we have several cancer resources, and we even have a new genome term base.

See more
Hi Peter,

Above, in the drop-down menu under "Community", extract the GlossPost interface. Set languages Spanish to Spanish and choose (one at a time) Medicine as a general field, or Biology or any related science as specific categories. You can also try keyword searching. There are over 8,000 links filed under this system, you're bound to find something.

I know for a fact we have several cancer resources, and we even have a new genome term base.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free online ES medical dictionary; can anyone recommend one?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »