Mobile menu

Translating Times, Schedules
Thread poster: Taylor Kirk

Taylor Kirk  Identity Verified

Local time: 18:53
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2007

I am translating a schedule of classes from Mexico that uses 24-hour time, such as a class that runs from '8:30-17:00'. Since the translation is into US English do I put from '8:30am-5:00pm'? Thanks for the help!

Direct link Reply with quote

John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
convention Oct 2, 2007

I would apply the convention commonly used in US education. I don't know what it is, but some investigation should uncover it. Maybe on kudoz?

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:53
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

12 hour clock used in US institutions Oct 2, 2007

This is a no-brainer for me! I've seen so many university course schedules over the years that I can assure you without a doubt that class times use the 12 hour clock, plus AM and PM. I've been retired from teaching for eight years, and I *still* have recurring dreams about checking those doggone schedules on the first day of classes!) For study abroad programs that I've led to Mexico, the times in English were also published using the 12 hour system.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
am/pm Oct 3, 2007

I'd definitely use the 12-hour am/pm option.

I didn't even know what the 24 hour system was til I came to Europe. Actually, I had heard of it, but it was called military time.

Good luck Taylor!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Times, Schedules

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs