Thread poster: Taylor Kirk
Taylor Kirk
Taylor Kirk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2007

I am translating a schedule of classes from Mexico that uses 24-hour time, such as a class that runs from '8:30-17:00'. Since the translation is into US English do I put from '8:30am-5:00pm'? Thanks for the help!

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
convention Oct 2, 2007

I would apply the convention commonly used in US education. I don't know what it is, but some investigation should uncover it. Maybe on kudoz?

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:59
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

12 hour clock used in US institutions Oct 2, 2007

This is a no-brainer for me! I've seen so many university course schedules over the years that I can assure you without a doubt that class times use the 12 hour clock, plus AM and PM. I've been retired from teaching for eight years, and I *still* have recurring dreams about checking those doggone schedules on the first day of classes!) For study abroad programs that I've led to Mexico, the times in English were also published using the 12 hour system.

See more
This is a no-brainer for me! I've seen so many university course schedules over the years that I can assure you without a doubt that class times use the 12 hour clock, plus AM and PM. I've been retired from teaching for eight years, and I *still* have recurring dreams about checking those doggone schedules on the first day of classes!) For study abroad programs that I've led to Mexico, the times in English were also published using the 12 hour system.

Yolanda
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
am/pm Oct 3, 2007

I'd definitely use the 12-hour am/pm option.

I didn't even know what the 24 hour system was til I came to Europe. Actually, I had heard of it, but it was called military time.

Good luck Taylor!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Times, Schedules

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »