Thread poster: José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 28, 2003

Hola a todos,

Les paso el texto que el colega Ralf Lemster ha abierto en el foro de KudoZ/KudoZ.net. Si desean verlo allí: http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=9812&forum=48&0

Gracias por su constante apoyo y paciencia.

JL Villanueva

Co-Moderador English-->Español

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In the current situation, numerous translators need to work on text material containing war, military or political terminology. We support and endorse the site policy banning political discussions: www.proz.com/?sp=faq#forums_no_politics. At the same time, we believe that the site must continue to offer mutual help on terminology, even if the underlying issues are controversial. In doing so, we aim to preserve a neutral stance in order to assist all those seeking our support.

Following related discussions in the forums and amongst moderators, we have adopted the following consensus. Note that we will continue discussing these issues - also, you should read this as an agreement in principle rather than an extension of site rules, and as an interpretation of the spirit governing these rules rather than the literal expression in which they may be couched. To wit: we aim to preserve ProZ.com as a venue without frontiers \"in which people of many cultures - and conflicting views - can work together on language, in peace.\" (Henry Dotterer)

No legitimate KudoZ question shall be banned, squashed or rejected on the grounds of being related to a controversial topic alone, since we translators can be called upon to work on any topic. \"Legitimate\" means that the question must be in line with the KudoZ rules of etiquette, and should not be accompanied by sarcastic, agressive or otherwise offensive comments.

At the same time, we realize that a text may express political statements that do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the translator. Just as we take pains to preserve the confidential nature of some texts entrusted to us, we expect askers and answerers to make the same effort with regard to content that may potentially offend their colleagues.

In this connection, we strongly recommend adding background information as a measure to promote understanding where necessary. In the absence of such information, moderators may contact the asker to request an explanation.

We will squash questions representing political statements posted by non-members or members with an empty profile where no additional information has been provided and/or the asker does not respond to a moderator\'s inquiry. We will also hide answers to KudoZ questions attempting to open a political discussion.

We hope that these basic rules will allow us to remain focused on providing professional support, even in difficult times. Thanks to all members helping us to maintain the atmosphere of mutual support and cooperation on this site.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marcela García  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
My 4 kudos points were not accredited due to a banned question Mar 28, 2003

A few days ago, someone was asking a translation into English for \"No en mi nombre\", which happens to be also the name of an institution \"Not in my name\" and there is also another institution called \"Not in our name\", etc. Anyway, that was my answer. The question dissapeared and so did my kudoz points.

Not that I care so much about kudoz points but I think it would be better to get rid of questions before we, translators, work on the answers.

I had not expressed any political ideas or whatsoever, I had only translated.

I felt the whole thing was a little radical.

I am glad this is being reviewed.

Marcela

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias por el comentario :-)) Mar 28, 2003

Hola Mar,

Perdona por los KudoZ . ¿Te regalo unos virtualmente?

Es cierto que hubo varias preguntas que fueron \'censuradas\' sin más. Hasta tener una posición clara por nuestra parte y poder informar correctamente a los colegas, muchos moderadores optamos por extirpar cualquier posible chispa de polémica. Algunas preguntas, hay que decirlo, fueron realizadas de mala onda. Sin embargo la mayoría fueron legítimas.

Ahora que ya tenemos todo claro y todos están siendo informados, podemos decir que las reglas están claras y que podremos colaborar para que no haya partes ofendidas.

Un saludo lluvioso,

JL

-----------

Gracias a Parrot por la explicación. La tuya no fue \'squashed\', yo no lo sabía. Es posible que alguna otra sí lo haya sido, si es así...borrón y cuenta nueva. a trabajar para mejorar y aprender día a día.

Gracias, Lorito.

JL

[ This Message was edited by: Pepelu on 2003-03-28 19:48]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:52
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Marcela, no se censuró la pregunta Mar 28, 2003

Sigue existiendo y, por ende, se tienen que haber sumado los KudoZ: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/394020

Me preguntó Alvaro a quién debía otorgar los puntos y le dije que tu respuesta era justa. Eso, a raíz de que la pregunta tenía que cerrarse cuanto antes y los kudoz otorgados.

English to Spanish
+ ...
Not in my file Mar 28, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-28 19:37, Parrot wrote:

Sigue existiendo y, por ende, se tienen que haber sumado los KudoZ: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/394020

Me preguntó Alvaro a quién debía otorgar los puntos y le dije que tu respuesta era justa. Eso, a raíz de que la pregunta tenía que cerrarse cuanto antes y los kudoz otorgados.

No encuentro los puntos en mi historial de Kudos.

De todos modos, no es ese el punto importante, sino que traducir sea una tarea profesional y neutra.

Gracias por el dato.

Marcela

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:52
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sí, Marcela, se sumó Mar 28, 2003

Pero desgraciadamente la pregunta fue clasificada bajo \"ciencia\"... (otro de mis dolores de cabeza sobre el glosario). Ahora la he puesto bajo \"Others\".

[ This Message was edited by: Parrot on 2003-03-28 22:11]

English to Spanish
+ ...
Gracias, Parrot Mar 29, 2003

Gracias, yo la buscaba por Others.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ y los términos relacionados a la guerra

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs