Mobile menu

Off topic: OFF TOPIC Devociones para ocasiones emergentes, de John Donne (1572-1631)
Thread poster: Marcela García

Marcela García  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 2, 2003

Me gustaría compartir esto:

John Donne

(Inglaterra, 1572-1631)

Devociones para ocasiones emergentes (fragmento)

\" ¿Quién no echa una mirada al sol cuando atardece?

¿Quién quita sus ojos del cometa cuando estalla?

¿Quién no presta oídos a una campana cuando por algún hecho tañe?

¿Quién puede desoír esa campana cuya música lo traslada fuera de este mundo?

Ningún hombre es una isla entera por sí mismo.

Cada hombre es una pieza del continente, una parte del todo.

Si el mar se lleva una porción de tierra, toda Europa queda disminuida, como si fuera un promontorio, o la casa de uno de tus amigos, o la tuya propia.

Ninguna persona es una isla; la muerte de cualquiera me afecta, porque me encuentro unido a toda la humanidad; por eso, nunca preguntes por quién doblan las campanas; doblan por ti. \"

Direct link Reply with quote

María Alejandra Funes
English to Spanish
+ ...
La muerte de cualquiera me afecta Apr 2, 2003

Gracias por compartir este fragmento con nosotros... !Qué mágicas son las palabras! Está todo dicho... Para no entrar en polémicas

Me gusto muchísimo, !gracias otra vez!

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:36
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
No man is an island Apr 2, 2003

For comparison, in the original English:

Who casts not up his eye to the sun when it rises? but who takes off his eye from a comet when that breaks out? Who bends not his ear to any bell which upon any occasion rings? but who can remove it from that bell which is passing a piece of himself out of this world?

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend\'s or of thine own were: any man\'s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

Marcela García  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you, Jack - Gracias, Ale Apr 4, 2003

Thank you for posting the original version, Jack.

This poem was read by a friend of mine, an English teacher, to her students at University of Granada last night.

No man is an island.

Kind regards from Argentina.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OFF TOPIC Devociones para ocasiones emergentes, de John Donne (1572-1631)

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs