Thread poster: Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 11, 2008

I have Dragon 9.0, both a single disk with Dutch as the main language (and US and UK English hiding somehwere in the background) and the two-disk US version (with US, UK, New Zealand, Upper Lower India and all kinds of other forms of English).

But the thing has slowed down to a crawl.

I added RAM to my computer (running XP), so I now have 2 Gig, I uninstalled the whole thing and re-installed it I also closed down almost everything else that normally runs in the backgrou
... See more
I have Dragon 9.0, both a single disk with Dutch as the main language (and US and UK English hiding somehwere in the background) and the two-disk US version (with US, UK, New Zealand, Upper Lower India and all kinds of other forms of English).

But the thing has slowed down to a crawl.

I added RAM to my computer (running XP), so I now have 2 Gig, I uninstalled the whole thing and re-installed it I also closed down almost everything else that normally runs in the background.

But still s l o o o w.

Any suggestions?
Collapse

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
English
+ ...
Slow Dragon Jun 11, 2008

I have been using Dragon for years.

I have not encountered this problem with Dragon per se, but I have had situations where everything on the computer slowed to a crawl. The experts suggested checking for viruses but none were found. Next we considered early hard drive failure. Ultimately we re-formated the entire hard drive, reinstalled the OS and all the programs, and the speed was restored.

Another problem that was encountered on another computer with Dragon was an i
... See more
I have been using Dragon for years.

I have not encountered this problem with Dragon per se, but I have had situations where everything on the computer slowed to a crawl. The experts suggested checking for viruses but none were found. Next we considered early hard drive failure. Ultimately we re-formated the entire hard drive, reinstalled the OS and all the programs, and the speed was restored.

Another problem that was encountered on another computer with Dragon was an intermittent, random Blue Screen of Death. The problem was ultimately traced to incompatible memory modules. Only Dragon was triggering it, because of its high memory demands.

Michael
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
similar situation, but sporadic Jun 11, 2008

I'm very happy with DNS 9 (running on XP), but periodically, it gets "temperamental." Sometimes it interprets everything as a command, even when I'm in "dictation only" mode. Yesterday, it was very slow, and I don't know why.

I'm considering optimizing the hard drive today, just to see if that helps, but I've experienced this kind of slowness before -- and then it has fixed itself.

So, this answer isn't much help, but I don't think RAM is the issue. If I can come u
... See more
I'm very happy with DNS 9 (running on XP), but periodically, it gets "temperamental." Sometimes it interprets everything as a command, even when I'm in "dictation only" mode. Yesterday, it was very slow, and I don't know why.

I'm considering optimizing the hard drive today, just to see if that helps, but I've experienced this kind of slowness before -- and then it has fixed itself.

So, this answer isn't much help, but I don't think RAM is the issue. If I can come up with another solution, I'll let you know.
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:00
French to English
+ ...
File size Jun 11, 2008

I find the size of the file I'm working with has a big impact too. It usually works quite fast on standard files, but as I progress through lengthy Word/rtf files with Wordfast, it sometimes gets so slow that I give up and decide I'll be quicker to type by hand! What I do on such occasions, if I can, is split the file up into easily manageable sections and do them individually, then merge them altogether at the end - it seems to help.

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 11, 2008

Yes, sometimes the dragon slows to a crawl, sometimes the beast springs to life and becomes fleet of foot. Sometimes the English version is slow, sometimes the Dutch version is fast.

Temperamental animal.

I'm defragmenting my hard disk, ran the optimizer, will cut the files into smaller pieces. And see what happens.

Ancient stories say that dragons guard treasures. Hope I will find the one hidden underneath my animal.

Again, thanks to all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Slow Dragon

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »