speech recognition tool
Thread poster: raniaelmaraghy
raniaelmaraghy
raniaelmaraghy
Local time: 09:36
English to Arabic
Jun 16, 2008

Hello. I'm new to speech recognition tools so i need ur help. I'd like to record some texts for the visually impaired and send them in any audio file format like mp3. Is that possible? It is a pro bono work and i can't afford buying expensive software. I need a free tool. Do u know any?
Thanks.

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 08:36
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
recording software Jun 16, 2008

Speech recognition usually refers to tools that convert spoken language into written language.

From your description, it looks like you need recording software.
You could try a free program called Audacity, a very useful tool for recording and editing sound files. You can export recordings as MP3 and other audio formats.

There are also a number of not too expensive MP3 players with recording functions. I have used an iRiver player in the past for audio recordings
... See more
Speech recognition usually refers to tools that convert spoken language into written language.

From your description, it looks like you need recording software.
You could try a free program called Audacity, a very useful tool for recording and editing sound files. You can export recordings as MP3 and other audio formats.

There are also a number of not too expensive MP3 players with recording functions. I have used an iRiver player in the past for audio recordings of very high quality.

For the best sound quality, you probably need an external microphone for the computer or the MP3 player.
Collapse

Mykhailo Voloshko
Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:36
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
voice engines Jun 16, 2008

As far as I know voice engines are not usually free.

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
Local time: 09:36
German to English
Some suggestions Jun 16, 2008

Easy MP3 Sound Recorder can record any sound from sound card with MP3 format. It records the sound from Windows Media Player, Winamp, RealPlayer, QuickTime, Flash, games, and other Windows applications with high quality, Easy MP3 Sound Recorder can grab streaming audio from the Internet, record Internet radio, music from DVD, CD, dialogs from movies, presentation from PowerPoint, MIDI (MID) file from player, and split any section of an audio file. Easy MP3 Sound Recorder also supports to record ... See more
Easy MP3 Sound Recorder can record any sound from sound card with MP3 format. It records the sound from Windows Media Player, Winamp, RealPlayer, QuickTime, Flash, games, and other Windows applications with high quality, Easy MP3 Sound Recorder can grab streaming audio from the Internet, record Internet radio, music from DVD, CD, dialogs from movies, presentation from PowerPoint, MIDI (MID) file from player, and split any section of an audio file. Easy MP3 Sound Recorder also supports to record sound from microphones, line-in, Cassette Tape, Video Tape and more input devices.
See:http://www.freeware-download.com/downloaddetails/4896.html

Also:
Sound Recorder is an audio recording program included in Microsoft Windows.
Sound Recorder can record audio from a microphone or headset; many modern sound cards allow their output channels to be recorded (the loopback channel is typically called "Wave Out Mix" or similar). The recorded audio can be saved in .wav or .mp3 format inside the .WAV container. Sound Recorder can also open existing uncompressed or compressed .wav files. To successfully open compressed .WAV files in Sound Recorder, the audio codec used by the file must be installed in ACM.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

speech recognition tool

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »