Dragon 10
Thread poster: Mark Nathan

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:53
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2008

Has any one heard anything about the supposedly imminent release of dragon 10 ?
Presumably if I buy version 9 there will be a free upgrade, or is there more to it ?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:53
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No free upgrade Aug 1, 2008

I have Dragon 9, and a few days ago I received an e-mail offer of an upgrade to V.10 at £79.99. They claim," faster and more accurate than ever", " quick voice formatting" and shortcuts for web or desktop searches.

I have been using Dragon since V.5, and I have found that each upgrade is a worthwhile improvement. So I will probably go for it. A no-brainer, really.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:53
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Vista Aug 1, 2008

I hope DNS10 could solve its configuration problems related to Windows Vista. Anyway, Vista features an interesting speech recognition system.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:53
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Worth waiting Aug 1, 2008

Yes, I have had confirmation from Nuance that it is worth waiting.

Meanwhile looks like I will have to buy a new computer in order to run it!

It's only been two years since the last one, but I still have XP and only 768 MB of RAM. My computer store says it is not worth upgrading my current one (which in any case has been getting slower recently).

Plus ça change...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
My experience with the upgrade ... Aug 5, 2008

I'm not sure if I ought to start a new thread, but while I'm awaiting a resolution of my issue with Nuance, I thought I'd share my story.

This morning, I decided to get the upgrade (with all the purported "extras" thrown in), and I even went for the Bluetooth headset, which Nuance claims Platronics designed specifically for DNS 10.

Given what Mark noted, I wanted to make sure that DNS 10 would work with the amount of RAM I've got. But the "offer" page has no tech specs, and the main Nuance site doesn't even mention DNS 10.

I called Customer Service (on hold for more than 15 minutes) and no one there knew the answer. Finally, at another number, I verified that the RAM requirements are the same in DNS 9 and 10. Okay.

Back I went to the "offer" page, and I placed the order and paid. When the next window opened, it was a receipt, with instructions--including a video--about how to do the download. Nothing seemed to make sense. Then, I watched the demo, and there was a BIG BLUE DOWNLOAD BUTTON. There was no such button on the invoice. I waited for the confirmation copy in my e-mail. Nothing there either.

So, I wrote to Customer Service. I got back an automated reply with instructions that would take me to a page where I could BUY (***at additional cost***) a "Backup Service" or a "CD".
But that web page was identical (essentially) to the one I'd been sent to when checking out. No download button, no options for "backup service" or a CD.

So, I've had to write again and undoubtedly, it will be hours before I hear back. I love DNS, but I am really ANNOYED!

[Edited at 2008-08-05 19:59]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 02:53
English
Upgrade info Aug 5, 2008

We are expecting DNS Preferred 10 to be released towards the end of August with DNS Pro 10 upgrades following in early September. DNS Medical and Legal will follow soon after DNS Pro.



Upgrade pricing on DNS 8/9 Preferred to DNS 10 and is $100.
Upgrade pricing on DNS 8/9 Pro and Legal to DNS 10 will be introductory priced at $150.
Upgrade pricing on DNS 8/9 Medical to DNS 10 will be introductory priced at $250 (estimate).

KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff – Tom Hamilton
A Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor





[Edited at 2008-08-05 20:04]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:53
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Support number Aug 5, 2008

H Patricia - in case this is any use to you, I spoke to a very helpful chap at Nuance in the UK on +44 1 483 794 444

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
thanks, Mark! Aug 5, 2008

I'm in the US but I don't mind compiling numbers to call ... no word back as yet. Good luck buying your new computer!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
for the record, there is NO DOWNLOAD Aug 6, 2008

I called Nuance Customer Service this morning and learned DNS can only be installed using a CD, which will be shipped to me. I guess I should have realized that, but the information on the invoice page and the customer service reply, which I got yesterday, made it appear that download was available. Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that this has been resolved (or will be when the shipment arrives).

Thanks for listening!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:53
English to Polish
+ ...
They should provide some information Aug 6, 2008

I bought Dragon NaturallySpeaking less than two months ago, and it really annoys me that I will have to pay further hundred dollars for upgrading it to the new version. There is no information on their website about version 10. So even one month before launching the new version they are still selling version 9 making the buyers look like idiots. I wonder whether Nuance will have some decency to offer upgrade at some discount for someone that bought the old version 1 month earlier?

regards

Piotr


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree--very odd that they don't mention it on their web site Aug 6, 2008

I think it is very odd, too, that they would not acknowledge the existence of version 10 on their web site!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:53
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Depends on the language version Aug 6, 2008

I know the English language version 10 is due out very soon, but for other languages (which apparently usually come with the full English version included) the release date will be later, e.g. for the French version 10 you will have to wait until September. Bearing in mind that I have yet to try any version of Dragon, I am not sure I can wait that long just to have the option of French, which I type in relatively small amounts compared to English. So I am currently debating whether to buy the French/English version 9 now, and then pay for the French/English upgrade to version 10 when it eventually comes, or to wait a few days, buy the English version 10 and not bother with the French version...

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Richard Walker
Local time: 17:53
Japanese to English
Actually, there is a download for 9.5 Aug 6, 2008

Patricia Rosas wrote:

I called Nuance Customer Service this morning and learned DNS can only be installed using a CD, which will be shipped to me.



What a silly policy. They used to offer 9.5 for download as long as you had a valid 9.0 serial number. When I upgraded from 8.0 my vendor was nice enough to email me the serial number, so I had 9.5 up and running 2 hours later, and a full week before the 9.0 disk arrived in the mail. Seems like a step backwards to insist on snail mail and physical disks when the infrastructure for immediate delivery is already in place.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:53
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another month! Aug 9, 2008

I was excited to see that, as announced, Dragon 10 is now for sale on the UK Nuance web site. My wait is over at last, I thought...but when I rang them to ask about delivery/downloading in France they said it was effectively a pre-order because the CD/download would not be ready for another month!
When I said that it seemed unfair to make new users pay twice within the space of a month he said yes, it was worth waiting.

So I am really off to a bad start, already feeling irritated with Nuance and I have not even got the software yet.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
perhaps it's so good, they can get away with this... Aug 9, 2008

Mark,

Sorry to hear about your experience. My first purchase also had irritating moments, but I still felt that it was worth upgrading. I hope when you can place an order, and you get the software, you'll like it and feel it was the right choice.

I wonder if Nuance is "so hot" that they don't have to worry about customer service issues, or perhaps they are just disorganized?!?

Patricia


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon 10

Advanced search






Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums