Is it worth upgrading from DNS Pref 8 to 10?
Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 7, 2008

I have Windows XP, Word 2003, Trados V6.

I can upgrade from DNS Pref 8 to 10 for around 120 euros.

Is it worth it? Has anyone had any particular problems?

Ailish

Sorry, I needed to correct that, I have DNS Pref 8 (not 9).

[Edited at 2008-10-07 14:35]

[Edited at 2008-10-07 14:35]

Jonathan Morris
Jonathan Morris  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
DNS10 Oct 7, 2008

Have found it slightly better/faster (doesn't need to be rebooted as much) but still stumbles over certain words & not very good at retraining. Basically, it depends on what kind of text you're translating - v. good on flowing continuous text, not v. good for text full of names, numbers etc. & how fast you can dictate.

Not a quantum leap by any means, but every little helps.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:58
Swedish to English
+ ...
Agree Oct 7, 2008

My experience with DNS 10 has been much the same as for Jonathan Morris. I was already getting good results from DNS 9. As always, the key to success is enunciation. Given that, upgrading from 8 and 10 should be a worthwhile improvement. This message was dictated with no errors.

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 17:58
English
Version 10 drop down speed and Vista compatibility Oct 8, 2008

Eventually we will all have to port over to Vista machines and Version 8 is not compatible. The drop down speed or the rate at which the words hit the screen as you speak them is so much better in Version 10 vs. Version 8 I would recommend upgrading for that reason alone. If you would like to read about all the pros and cons of Version 10 please feel free to read our KnowBrainer Version 10 review posted on this Forum.

Tom Hamilton - KnowBrainer Support Staff

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:58
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dragon an Vista Oct 8, 2008

I had Dragon 8.0 in my Windows XP system but couldn't install it in my new Windows Vista system. It needed an update....but suddenly I found Windows Vista's own speech recognition system! So, I don't need Dragon anymore as its built-in speech recognition system works fine.

Luis Antonio de Larrauri
Luis Antonio de Larrauri  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
How do you acquire it? Oct 23, 2008

Yaotl Altan wrote:

I had Dragon 8.0 in my Windows XP system but couldn't install it in my new Windows Vista system. It needed an update....but suddenly I found Windows Vista's own speech recognition system! So, I don't need Dragon anymore as its built-in speech recognition system works fine.

Dear Yaotl,

How do you implement that speech recognition for Vista? I mean, where can I find it in the system? (I have Windows Vista and I am working with Office 2003).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it worth upgrading from DNS Pref 8 to 10?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »