Thread poster: James McVay
James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:27
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2012

I had a problem using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 with Firefox 15.0.1 for a couple of days, and I'm wondering if anyone else had a similar problem. There was a brief power outage just before the problem started, so I thought that may have been the source of the problem. After the power failure, I was unable to dictate into either the Google toolbar or the text entry field on the Google homepage; for that matter, nothing in Firefox was accepting dictation. Also, while I was in Firefox dictation ... See more
I had a problem using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 with Firefox 15.0.1 for a couple of days, and I'm wondering if anyone else had a similar problem. There was a brief power outage just before the problem started, so I thought that may have been the source of the problem. After the power failure, I was unable to dictate into either the Google toolbar or the text entry field on the Google homepage; for that matter, nothing in Firefox was accepting dictation. Also, while I was in Firefox dictation was often misunderstood as some Dragon command. Other browsers were unaffected.

I thought perhaps my Firefox or Dragon files had become corrupted because of the power outage, and I reinstalled both, But the problem remained, suggesting that the power outage had nothing to do with the problem. Then today, while I was getting ready to submit a support ticket to Nuance, Firefox automatically updated itself, and the problem was corrected… for the most part. I still can't use the "show dictation box" command in Firefox, although I could previously.

Also, I just noticed that the keyboard shortcuts no longer work in Firefox. For example, when I press the "plus" key to turn the microphone on or off, I get a "plus sign."

Is this happening with anyone else?

[Edited at 2012-10-12 20:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-10-12 20:43 GMT]
Collapse

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 02:27
English
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Oct 17, 2012

“Show Dictation Box” is a NaturallySpeaking Natural Language Command which means it is hardcoded into DNS and should work in any situation. You additionally might try substituting “open Dictation Box” for “show Dictation Box”. While I don’t experience this problem, it appears that you have some sort of an odd link between NaturallySpeaking and Firefox. Assuming that you can toggle your microphone on and off in other applications, other than Firefox, utilizing the plus key, you defi... See more
“Show Dictation Box” is a NaturallySpeaking Natural Language Command which means it is hardcoded into DNS and should work in any situation. You additionally might try substituting “open Dictation Box” for “show Dictation Box”. While I don’t experience this problem, it appears that you have some sort of an odd link between NaturallySpeaking and Firefox. Assuming that you can toggle your microphone on and off in other applications, other than Firefox, utilizing the plus key, you definitely have a Firefox problem. As the experiment, you can change the plus key under the DNS hotkey options to something else such as the pause key. I have made the pause key my permanent microphone toggle button and although you may not wish to use this, I am only recommending it for test purposes. Although I don’t have an answer for that question, other than the fact that something is going on between the 2 applications, I would recommend trying out Internet Explorer. From a user-friendliness point of view, I prefer Firefox, Opera and even Google Chrome over Internet Explorer but when I throw speech recognition into the equation, Internet Explorer becomes vastly superior because it is a Full Text Control application. I would additionally recommend that anyone using Firefox contact the manufacturer and complain about the fact that Firefox isn’t SAPI compliant which means that it won’t support any speech recognition application; current or future.

Tom Hamilton
KnowBrainer.com
Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:27
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem fixed Oct 17, 2012

Actually, when I booted up the computer on the next day, everything worked the way it used to. "Show dictation box" works now, and so does "open dictation box."

I have no idea what happened, but I'm glad the problem is fixed. I use Firefox for research on the web, because I find it a lot faster than Internet Explorer. I don't need all the bells and whistles that come with full text control for that. On the rare occasions when I need to dictate something longer and I'm using Firefox
... See more
Actually, when I booted up the computer on the next day, everything worked the way it used to. "Show dictation box" works now, and so does "open dictation box."

I have no idea what happened, but I'm glad the problem is fixed. I use Firefox for research on the web, because I find it a lot faster than Internet Explorer. I don't need all the bells and whistles that come with full text control for that. On the rare occasions when I need to dictate something longer and I'm using Firefox (this forum post, for example), I just bring up the dictation box.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon and Firefox problem

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »