https://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/42618-dragon_difficulty_with_training_certain_items.html

Dragon - difficulty with training certain items
Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 14, 2006

I have major problems training certain words (someone told me that as an Irish person maybe US EN would be better than UK EN but that's too late now).

The letter R, for example, or B, I simply fail, time and time again. DNS NEVER recognises them.

Words, e.g. no matter how many times I train GUN, it comes out as anything but. I'm doing a welding gun manual, and gun is all over the shop.

Any tips?

I'm a learner, and so far, the major thing I've l
... See more
I have major problems training certain words (someone told me that as an Irish person maybe US EN would be better than UK EN but that's too late now).

The letter R, for example, or B, I simply fail, time and time again. DNS NEVER recognises them.

Words, e.g. no matter how many times I train GUN, it comes out as anything but. I'm doing a welding gun manual, and gun is all over the shop.

Any tips?

I'm a learner, and so far, the major thing I've learned is that adjusting speed is a help (even though DNS advises speak at a normal rate, I've found that when I speak a good bit slower than 'normal' I have better success)

[Edited at 2006-02-14 16:23]
Collapse

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
A possible way around Feb 14, 2006

Hi Lia,

I don't use DNS yet, so sorry I can't help you with that.

However, for this welding guns project, if you're pressed for time, maybe you can use another word instead of "gun" (some word that wouldn't appear in the rest of the text) and then do a "Search and replace" in MS Word.

HTH.
Jerónimo

[Edited at 2006-02-14 17:15]

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Guns 'n' Dandruff Feb 14, 2006

Hi Ailish,

If it's any consolation, I had the same trouble with the word "dandruff" - no matter how many times I "trained" it, it still came out as "Dan Ruff" or something similar, which was a shame, because it was a market research report on Head and Shoulders ...

I can't imagine that an Irish accent (like mine) would be better off with the US version but I do find that when I speak a touch more "clipped" (think 1950s BBC radio), I get better results.

The
... See more
Hi Ailish,

If it's any consolation, I had the same trouble with the word "dandruff" - no matter how many times I "trained" it, it still came out as "Dan Ruff" or something similar, which was a shame, because it was a market research report on Head and Shoulders ...

I can't imagine that an Irish accent (like mine) would be better off with the US version but I do find that when I speak a touch more "clipped" (think 1950s BBC radio), I get better results.

The above "search and replace" suggestion is good, but not if you're using Trados, Wordfast or something similar. I'm pretty sure you could train the program to print "gun" when you say "blablabla" - it's never worked for me, but that's not saying much.

All the best from Cologne

Ian
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
info likely in SR list for Translators Feb 14, 2006

Read the following post for info:

Speech Recognition list for Translators
http://www.proz.com/post/194460#194460

Jeff

-----
Jeff Allen, Ph.D.
Paris, France
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/speechtech.htm

... See more
Read the following post for info:

Speech Recognition list for Translators
http://www.proz.com/post/194460#194460

Jeff

-----
Jeff Allen, Ph.D.
Paris, France
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/speechtech.htm

[Edited at 2006-02-15 09:23]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Feb 14, 2006

Yes, the search and replace option is definitely a consideration:-)

As for bla bla bla, that too! Maybe 'bang-bang-you're dead':-)

Clipped BBC? Not much of a mimic, so don't know about that! I think I actually have inherent pronunciation problems anyway - a very slight sibiliance due to a teeth job, a real pronblem of tripping over complex words, etc etc:-)

I'm hoping to be able to dictate from the sun lounger on the balcony by my office this summer......:
... See more
Yes, the search and replace option is definitely a consideration:-)

As for bla bla bla, that too! Maybe 'bang-bang-you're dead':-)

Clipped BBC? Not much of a mimic, so don't know about that! I think I actually have inherent pronunciation problems anyway - a very slight sibiliance due to a teeth job, a real pronblem of tripping over complex words, etc etc:-)

I'm hoping to be able to dictate from the sun lounger on the balcony by my office this summer......:-) Well...it IS an incentive to train DNS
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:15
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
MyCommands Editor / Vocola Feb 14, 2006

In DNS under Tools you find the option Add New Command.
You can just use a word that is usually recognized without problems and use it as a command to execute the word "gun". It. everytime you say the command "rabit", DNS will type "gun". The only caveat there is that this command needs to be treated as such and you need to pause slightly before you dictate it. But if this words occurs that frequently, you'll get used to it quickly.

Also, check out Vocola
... See more
In DNS under Tools you find the option Add New Command.
You can just use a word that is usually recognized without problems and use it as a command to execute the word "gun". It. everytime you say the command "rabit", DNS will type "gun". The only caveat there is that this command needs to be treated as such and you need to pause slightly before you dictate it. But if this words occurs that frequently, you'll get used to it quickly.

Also, check out Vocola, a very helpful utility that you can use to create spoken macros for DNS (a function otherwise only available with the much more expensive Professional version). With those macros you can command all the Trados functions, for instance. Or you could use "rabit" to print "gun".

http://home.comcast.net/~Vocola/
Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:15
Danish to English
+ ...
DNS Feb 15, 2006

I have used DNS many years now and in training, when a word never comes out correct, try to exaggerate it. F. ex. for the word "gun" trying splitting it up into g and un, saying it as g un, really fast, in the training mode and type the correct word gun into the training mode. Otherwise, use in "spell that" using the g un sound and typing in the correct word.

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 20:15
Japanese to English
Training the Dragon Feb 27, 2006

Dragon works on the basis of probability tables that tell it the likelihood of certain two-word (bigram) and three-word (trigram) combinations appearing in your speech. When you correct words, it's important that you not just select the single offending word but a couple of words on either side of it so that the program will update its probability tables. Doing that alone will help to increase accuracy dramatically.

If you're still stuck with a recalcitrant word, you can use the Voc
... See more
Dragon works on the basis of probability tables that tell it the likelihood of certain two-word (bigram) and three-word (trigram) combinations appearing in your speech. When you correct words, it's important that you not just select the single offending word but a couple of words on either side of it so that the program will update its probability tables. Doing that alone will help to increase accuracy dramatically.

If you're still stuck with a recalcitrant word, you can use the Vocabulary Editor and employ one of two strategies:

1. If the word appears regularly in a larger phrase, enter the entire phrase as a single vocabulary item, for example, "gun control" or "effective against dandruff" (hmmm, Dragon got both of those right on the first try for me...).

2. Take advantage of the written form/spoken form duality in the Vocabulary Editor to give the word a slightly different pronunciation, for example, have the written form be "gun" and the spoken form be "G U N" (or "gee UN" or "gee you and") or a written form "dandruff" and a spoken form "Dan Ruff" (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em). If you are not sure what pronunciation to give the word, move the cursor to the "spoken form" box, say the word is you normally do and see what comes out. (Perversely, Dragon usually gets it right in these cases.) If none of that works, vent your frustrations by giving the word the spoken form "stupid dragon"...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon - difficulty with training certain items

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »