Thread poster: Heike Steffens
Heike Steffens
Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:08
Italian to German
+ ...
Sep 18, 2006

Hi to all
I've been using the above software in the German version since 4 weeks and I am totally satisfied with its performance. As I also translate into Italian, I would need to have the Italian version, too. But neither the Nuance technical support, nor the company I bought the first software from could tell me whether the installation of two identical programmes on the same PC (only difference is the language) would work without any problems. I can't imagine to be the only translator w
... See more
Hi to all
I've been using the above software in the German version since 4 weeks and I am totally satisfied with its performance. As I also translate into Italian, I would need to have the Italian version, too. But neither the Nuance technical support, nor the company I bought the first software from could tell me whether the installation of two identical programmes on the same PC (only difference is the language) would work without any problems. I can't imagine to be the only translator who needs two versions.
Can anybody help with some valuable information so far?

Thank you very much in advance.
Heike
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Dutch version? Sep 18, 2006

I remember that previous versions of DNS for other countries (in particularly the Dutch version) supported multiple languages. I don't remember if Italian was part of it, but while the German version only supports English and German, the Dutch used to support English, French, German, Dutch and possibly other languages.

HTH.

Sonja

Heike Steffens
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 18, 2006

... for your answer, Sonja. I've checked that option, too, but unfortunately (for me) Italian is not one of the supported languages in the Dutch version.

I've learned from the dealer that it should be possible to install the programme twice, supposed that the versions are identical - I'll have to risk, I guess.

Thanks again and have a nice day.
Heike

Giulia TAPPI
Giulia TAPPI  Identity Verified
France
French to Italian
+ ...
Preferred version Sep 18, 2006

I use the French and the Italian version, but I need 2 different computers. According to the Nuance hot line, which I called some months ago, you can use the same computer for 2 different languages only if you have 2 preferred versions of this software, but I did not have the opportunity to check if this informlation is correct.
Anyway, Italian just comes with English, not any other language, in the preferred version.

Heike Steffens
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grazie Giulia Sep 18, 2006

for your answer, too.

It's exactly, what my dealer told me. Next week or so I should receive the Italian version and will try to install that one as well on my PC, hoping this won't damage in any way the computer's "brain" (registry, etc.).

I'm not very confident, but it's also impossible for me to work with two PCs (for I only have one) and the laptop is no good alternative, I think.

If it
... See more
for your answer, too.

It's exactly, what my dealer told me. Next week or so I should receive the Italian version and will try to install that one as well on my PC, hoping this won't damage in any way the computer's "brain" (registry, etc.).

I'm not very confident, but it's also impossible for me to work with two PCs (for I only have one) and the laptop is no good alternative, I think.

If it works out fine, I could let you know, if you like, and tell you about my experiences...

Ciao
Heike
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
I use DNS 8 Sep 18, 2006

I use DNS 8 and have set up 2 users. One for dictating in German, one for dicating in English.

I guess you would need to set up a German and an Italian user. Would that work?

HTH

Alison

Heike Steffens
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, it won't.... Sep 18, 2006

Hi Alison,

... it won't, because the German version does not include the Italian language, which would be available only if I bought a second software (the Italian one). And that's the problem. I wondered, whether the double installation of DNS 9 (German AND Italian) would cause any problems to the PC.

Thank you for your suggestion, anyway, and have a nice evening
Heike

Giulia TAPPI
Giulia TAPPI  Identity Verified
France
French to Italian
+ ...
No damage to your PC Sep 18, 2006

In my opinion, the risk is not to damage your PC in any way; it is just that one version erases the other one.
But if you have a laptop, what is the problem? I use DNS on 2 different laptops.
Anyway, you can try to put the 2 DNS on the same computer, if you also bought a preferred version for Italian, and let us know if it really works. I hope so for you!
Have a nice week,
Giulia

Heike Steffens
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right, Giulia,... Sep 18, 2006

... saying that it would not be a problem to install the two software packages on PC and Laptop instead of both on the same machine.
The only point is, that I definitely prefer working on the PC rather than on the laptop whose only function is to serve as emergency-substitute to my PC.

I'll see in a couple of days what will happen...

RiCiao
H.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Does English come with all versions? Sep 18, 2006

I was going to wait until I was next in the UK before buying DNS so that I'd be able to dictate into English. But from what I can see, English comes included with other languages. Is that correct?

I'd also like to know which version I need to get. Standard, Preferred or Professional, bearing in mind I'd like to use it with Déjà Vu.

Thanks

Tim

Heike Steffens
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, Timothy, Sep 19, 2006

yes, you're right - English comes ALWAYS included with other languages., so you're the lucky one

I have decided to try first the "Preferred" version and I use it obviously with MS Word, but also with Trados, TagEditor, Transit Satellite PE without any problems so far. I don't know DejaVu, but I imagine it should work there, too.

Good luck!
H.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
In that case... Sep 19, 2006

Heike Steffens wrote:

yes, you're right - English comes ALWAYS included with other languages., so you're the lucky one

I have decided to try first the "Preferred" version and I use it obviously with MS Word, but also with Trados, TagEditor, Transit Satellite PE without any problems so far. I don't know DejaVu, but I imagine it should work there, too.

Good luck!
H.

Well unless the price is a lot higher, I may as well just get it in Spain or France then, and get one of my other languages included. Just a shame Catalan doesn't exist (despite probably being spoken by more people than other languages included), as that's the language I use more in my correspondance.

Is the English included with non-English versions British English and/or American English? If it's American English only it would get rather annoying having to change spellings all the time.

Tim

Heike Steffens
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Timothy Sep 19, 2006

I have bought the German version and it contains as well English (British AND American), so there's no spelling problem.

Ciao
Heike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon Naturally Speaking preferred 9

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »