https://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/69586-dns_pushing_for_increased_compatibility.html

DNS - pushing for increased compatibility
Thread poster: Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:51
German to English
+ ...
Mar 30, 2007

I use DNS 9.0 Professional with MS Word 2003 and Trados 6.5.5. I would like to say that I use it with other applications but this is not true as it only seems to work with Word (I have just tried to use it with Excel but to no avail). I therefore only accept jobs where I can use DNS+Word+Trados and this restricts my scope (no PPT or Excel jobs, for example and a good customer lost because I could not use DNS and Transit).

I realise that I may have become over -pessimistic about the
... See more
I use DNS 9.0 Professional with MS Word 2003 and Trados 6.5.5. I would like to say that I use it with other applications but this is not true as it only seems to work with Word (I have just tried to use it with Excel but to no avail). I therefore only accept jobs where I can use DNS+Word+Trados and this restricts my scope (no PPT or Excel jobs, for example and a good customer lost because I could not use DNS and Transit).

I realise that I may have become over -pessimistic about the situation but, as I see it, only Word is compatible with the Dragon+Trados combination.

With the help of others I would like to identify exactly which applications should be made compatible.

I had originally intended writing to the CEO of Nuance myself but I believe that he would pay more attention if he realised a large number of translators wanted change. I do not know how conscious Nuance is of the huge market for their product in the translation community.

I would like to know who is ready to support a push for more compatibility with DNS+CAT tools.
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:51
Swedish to English
+ ...
Puzzling Mar 30, 2007

I have a slightly different combination - DNS 9 Preferred, Word 2000 and Trados 7.5. DNS works fine with all these in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, whether directly in that software or in TagEditor etc.

I was impressed to find that DNS also works at the MS-DOS command line. Using DNS I was able to enter COPY A: B: although I am the first to agree that in that situation typing is quicker.

As DNS works at the operating system level rather than the program level, it seems p
... See more
I have a slightly different combination - DNS 9 Preferred, Word 2000 and Trados 7.5. DNS works fine with all these in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, whether directly in that software or in TagEditor etc.

I was impressed to find that DNS also works at the MS-DOS command line. Using DNS I was able to enter COPY A: B: although I am the first to agree that in that situation typing is quicker.

As DNS works at the operating system level rather than the program level, it seems possible that the problem is not in DNS or Word or Excel etc, but in some operating system configuration problem. But beyond that, I have no idea why it works for me but not for you.
Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:51
Danish to English
+ ...
Dragon Mar 30, 2007

I have used the Dragon for years and the last update was for 7.2 with Microsoft Office 2003. I have not found it necessary to update further. I have no problems with different programs. It even works in Outlook.

This was dictated using the Dragon.

Robin Salmon (X)
Australia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not compatible with Eudora Mar 30, 2007

I like to keep e-mails from all my customers and I find Eudora ideal for this, as it has a mailbox facility (one for each customer, for example) but I cannot do this with Outlook or Outlook Express and therefore never use them. It would be great if Dragon were compatible with DNS.

By the way, I am really only interested in answers from people who wish to see improvements in Dragon-compatibility. If Dragon suits your needs in its present form, I don't think it is necessary to reply t
... See more
I like to keep e-mails from all my customers and I find Eudora ideal for this, as it has a mailbox facility (one for each customer, for example) but I cannot do this with Outlook or Outlook Express and therefore never use them. It would be great if Dragon were compatible with DNS.

By the way, I am really only interested in answers from people who wish to see improvements in Dragon-compatibility. If Dragon suits your needs in its present form, I don't think it is necessary to reply to my original post.
Collapse

Robin Salmon (X)
Australia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction Mar 30, 2007

Sorry - I meant "It would be great if Dragon were compatible with Eudora".

Robin Salmon (X)
Australia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it possible to make corrections in all these? Mar 30, 2007

Thank you for your reply, Peter.

I want to be able to correct mistakes in all of these applications, otherwise the mistake is perpetuated (as happens particularly with Transit). I tend to get the "Dictating to a non-standard window" message if I am not using Word and cannot make corrections. Incidentally, I was led to believe from the TW_users group that Trados 6.5 and above was only compatible with Word 2003 and above.

Peter Linton wrote:

As DNS works at the operating system level rather than the program level, it seems possible that the problem is not in DNS or Word or Excel etc, but in some operating system configuration problem. But beyond that, I have no idea why it works for me but not for you.

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:51
English to French
DNS OK with Microsoft apps, not 100% OK with others. Mar 31, 2007

I have never experienced a place where I was not able to input text with Dragon. However, I have experienced problems with corrections sometimes (with vocal commands only, menus work) but I think it was only in non-Microsoft applications.
The only thing that you don't mention is your operating system.
Nuance claims that Dragon is compatible with all Office applications, and I suppose it is true, as I've not spotted significant problems myself.
For other applications, I do not
... See more
I have never experienced a place where I was not able to input text with Dragon. However, I have experienced problems with corrections sometimes (with vocal commands only, menus work) but I think it was only in non-Microsoft applications.
The only thing that you don't mention is your operating system.
Nuance claims that Dragon is compatible with all Office applications, and I suppose it is true, as I've not spotted significant problems myself.
For other applications, I do not think that Scansoft/Nuance could modify someone else's software... unless they have signed a specific agreement (and have a substantial financial interest here). It's probably a request that you should direct to the other software provider.
I guess it 's rather a matter of enhancing compatibility than really adding hooks, anyway. It may even be located in a more basic library, but I'm not sure of that.
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Eudora compatibility Mar 31, 2007

Robin Salmon wrote:
It would be great if Dragon were compatible with Eudora.

DNS 9 and Eudora 7 work fine for me.

A year or two ago, with previous versions of both, I used to have the notorious "jumping cursor" problem. While dictating with Dragon, the cursor would jump around, quite often to the Bcc field in the Eudora header.
Since upgrading, the problem has gone away, and now I use Dragon all the time in Eudora.

[Edited at 2007-03-31 17:57]

Peter Linton (X)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Corrections etc in Dragon Mar 31, 2007

Robin Salmon wrote:
I want to be able to correct mistakes in all of these applications (...) I tend to get the "Dictating to a non-standard window" message...

Assuming you mean making corrections in Dragon while using Dragon in other applications, yes, I do this frequently. Training Dragon is definitely worthwhile.
"Dictating to a non-standard window" used to happen more often, but hardly ever now with Dragon 9.

I was led to believe from the TW_users group that Trados 6.5 and above was only compatible with Word 2003 and above.

I have Word 2000 and have used it with various versions of Trados, I think from version 5.5 onwards to my current 7.5.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:51
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I can't use Dragon with Multiterm Apr 1, 2007

Hi Robin!

I tried using Dragon the other day to dictate a long term into a Multiterm box and discovered in the process that it did not work with Multiterm, so there's another application to add to your list, that I would like it to work with.

Astrid

Peter Linton (X)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Works for me Apr 1, 2007

Dragon 9 with Multiterm 7 works fine for me.

[Edited at 2007-04-01 18:03]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS - pushing for increased compatibility

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »