Thread poster: Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Italy
Local time: 19:43
Italian to English
Jun 2, 2007

Hello everyone,

I've been seriously looking at Dragon for quite some time now... and I am seriously tempted by it.

I have watched colleagues use it with very good results, especially when working on very "flowing" translations such as speeches or press releases for example. The speed at which they work is amazing sometimes.

However, before splashing out, I do have one question. Does dragon work with trados?

I love Trados. I always use it, e
... See more
Hello everyone,

I've been seriously looking at Dragon for quite some time now... and I am seriously tempted by it.

I have watched colleagues use it with very good results, especially when working on very "flowing" translations such as speeches or press releases for example. The speed at which they work is amazing sometimes.

However, before splashing out, I do have one question. Does dragon work with trados?

I love Trados. I always use it, even when I only have two sentences to translate.

The way it segments the text helps me focus. It also ensures that I never skip a sentence (something I do tend to do when working from paper) and helps me proofread what I've read (checking source against target) faster and better.

As a result I've also built up an enormous memory, which I would hate to lose.

I guess that what I am curious to know if whether anyone out there uses both together, and if so, with what results.

Thank you very much
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:43
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 2, 2007

Yes, I use Dragon with Trados all the time, and have done so for years. And as you have seen, the combination works particularly well with flowing translations.

There are one or two minor annoyances -- when using Trados and Word, Dragon does not recognize the need for capital letters at the start of the sentence in the box - so you need to use the "Cap" command to tell Dragon to use a capital letter.

Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Peter :) Jun 2, 2007

I was also wondering...

I have just installed Vista, although I have to admit I don't particularly like it.... or maybe it just takes some getting used to.

Anyway, do you know if there are any compatibility problems in terms of Dragon and the new version of word?

I've been looking at the nuance website, and Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred 9 is flagged as being compatible with XP and Windows 2000.

I can't imagine it would have any problems
... See more
I was also wondering...

I have just installed Vista, although I have to admit I don't particularly like it.... or maybe it just takes some getting used to.

Anyway, do you know if there are any compatibility problems in terms of Dragon and the new version of word?

I've been looking at the nuance website, and Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred 9 is flagged as being compatible with XP and Windows 2000.

I can't imagine it would have any problems with Vista either, but just in case, would anyone happen to know if it does work with Vista?

Thank you

[Edited at 2007-06-02 14:57]

[Edited at 2007-06-02 14:58]
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not a good idea Jun 2, 2007

If the Nuance website does not specify Vista, you are taking a risk.
For a start, I suspect you will find Nuance unwillilng to help if you have problems. I would not do it.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Dragon 9.5.1 Jun 2, 2007

Enter the serial number of dragon v9 and download 9.5.1. which is fully vista compatible.

Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jun 3, 2007

I'll take a look at it right now

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon and Trados, are they compatible?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »