Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Donwload Dragon?
Thread poster: Katalin Sandor
Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 06:48
Japanese to English
Use with MultiTerm Aug 4, 2007

Multiterm and Trados in general are not very Dragon-friendly. They were designed with typists and European language pairs in mind. I rarely use MultiTerm because it is horrible at matching Japanese terms and it usually ends up crashing for no apparent reason anyway. ("Virtual function calls" how I hate you!) That, however, is the subject of a different rant.

If you are clever about it, and the number of terms to worry about is reasonably small, you can do a bit of prepping in Dragon
... See more
Multiterm and Trados in general are not very Dragon-friendly. They were designed with typists and European language pairs in mind. I rarely use MultiTerm because it is horrible at matching Japanese terms and it usually ends up crashing for no apparent reason anyway. ("Virtual function calls" how I hate you!) That, however, is the subject of a different rant.

If you are clever about it, and the number of terms to worry about is reasonably small, you can do a bit of prepping in Dragon that will make it far more reliable than MultiTerm ever could be.

Here are a couple of tricks:

In the Dragon vocabulary editor, create an entry called "current term". Train it. Now, let's say you are working on a translation that has one key phrase, say a slogan or title ("We're Better than the Other Guys") repeated over and over again. What you do is, before you translate, you go into the vocabulary editor, select "current term" and click the properties button. In the dialog box, check "use alternate written form" and type your target-language term, complete with capitals and quotes, in the space provided. Whenever you need to input the phrase, just say "current term" as part of your normal flowing dication ("in accordance with the company's policy of current term...) and you should get the buzzword du jour ("in accordance with the company's policy of "We're Better than the Other Guys"...) . Obviously, you can expand this with entries like "current term one", "current term two", "current name" and "current company". It's a great way to take care of phrases and names that you may use for one job and never see again--and it doesn't really clutter up your vocabulary or skew your voice model since you're saying the same words all the time, you're just asking for different output depending on the job.

A similar technique to use when you have more terms and it really isn't practical to try to figure out whether you want "current term 23" or "current term 37" is, is to get Dragon to do on-the-fly translation for you. In the vocabulary editor, say the term in the source language and see what dragon comes up with. If it is unique enough, use it; if not, come up with your own phrase that mimics the original. Train it and again, use the properties dialog to give it an alternate written form, which will of course be the target language term. (You can do this with the spoken form/written form pairing in the main vocabulary editor window, but I find the alternate word form on the properties dialog to be more reliable.) Then as you are translating, just read off the source language term in the right spot in your sentence. As an example, I use this anytime a contract defines a term. I put something close to the Japanese pronunciation into the vocabulary and as the alternate written form I use the English term (so "hon bukken" in Japanese generates a vocabulary entry of "home bookend" that has a written form of "the Property"). As I move through the contract, I just say the Japanese word, but Dragon types the English--and with consistent capitalization.

Obviously, this isn't going to work if the client has given you a glossary with hundreds of terms and you have no idea which are going to appear in your translation, but if you can narrow things down to a manageable level, then a few minutes of preparation will make Dragon an extraordinarily good quality-control tool.
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Under "Sound" Aug 4, 2007

Lia Fail wrote:

Patricia,

what's this read back feature?

Hi, Lia--

It's under "Sound" on the menu, but you can also launch it using a dictation command ("read down from here"). I use it to help me proof my first draft translation (using "Compare Documents" in Word)--it reads back what've I've dictated as the translation, while I follow the original document in the other window.

fwiw earlier this week, I asked for some input on this for a friend in Mexico (http://www.proz.com/topic/79808) and Reed suggested

Cepstral Voices http://www.digitalfuturesoft.com/cepstralvoices.php

I was blown away by the excellent quality of the Spanish voice. In Dragon, the enunciation, even of English, is not very good, but in some ways, I find that helpful in the proofreading, because I have to pay sharp attention to what is being said.

Hope I answered your question and that it wasn't tmi!

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 23:48
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What the experience...? Aug 5, 2007

with languages other than English?

TiA

Vito

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Donwload Dragon?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »