https://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/93185-dns_95_and_trados_slx_2007_select_and_say.html

DNS 9.5 and Trados SLX 2007 select and say
Thread poster: Transilvania
Transilvania
Transilvania
Local time: 19:17
English to German
+ ...
Jan 3, 2008

Hello,

I have Problems with DNS 9.5 Professional in SLX 2007. OS is XP Professional.

The select and say option does not work. I cannot select a word anthough the alternative box opens and gives suggestions and instead Dragon deletes the word I wanted to select. When I choose another word from the list DNS writes this word randomly over other parts of the sentence. Any idea what might be the problem?

Thank you all in advance

Joachim

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 02:17
Japanese to English
Not designed for that Jan 4, 2008

While DNS has lots of great features for MS Word, WordPerfect and other programs that it "knows," it only has limited support for "non-standard," minority programs like SLX, TagEditor or, for that matter, the editing boxes in this forum. It will input text, but it has very little ability to keep track of where it is.

Part of the reason is because no one at Nuance has bothered to program it for select-and-say in these particular interfaces; part because these interfaces do not pro
... See more
While DNS has lots of great features for MS Word, WordPerfect and other programs that it "knows," it only has limited support for "non-standard," minority programs like SLX, TagEditor or, for that matter, the editing boxes in this forum. It will input text, but it has very little ability to keep track of where it is.

Part of the reason is because no one at Nuance has bothered to program it for select-and-say in these particular interfaces; part because these interfaces do not provide much in the way of hooks that outside programs like DNS can grab onto -- they are either closed to the rest of the world or so scatterbrained (TagEditor) that there is not much DNS can work with.

I have never tried to use DNS with SLX, so its performance may be different, but with TagEdtor it is usually able to keep track of perhaps the last one or two phrases uttered, assuming the translation unit has not been closed. After that, it is a gamble to try to select something or make voice corrections.
Collapse

Transilvania
Transilvania
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No good Jan 5, 2008

In SDLX it does not even recognize the words of the last sentence I translated in the respective segment. It does recognize the word when I say select x but it deletes the word x instead of marking it.

I would really appreciate the opinion of somebody who works with SDLX. Nuance states Dragon 9.5 is compatible with Trados. I bought both softwares on that ground. SDLX is a part of Trados so it should be compatible. I hope I can return both software packages if this was a lie.

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 02:17
Japanese to English
Really? Jan 6, 2008

Transilvania wrote:

Nuance states Dragon 9.5 is compatible with Trados. I bought both softwares on that ground. SDLX is a part of Trados so it should be compatible.

I'm curious. Where does Nuance make this claim? A quick search of Nuance.com shows no indication that the company is even aware Trados exists, much less catering to its (numerous) quirks.

Transilvania
Transilvania
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Richard Jan 6, 2008

The Nuance Germany website has recently been updated. A few month ago there was a description that directly recommended DNS for translators and they wrote it was compatible with trados. Also my certified Nuance dealer who sold the software told me exactly the same himself - that both programs are compatible. I spefically asked him.

I have not found anything about compatibility on their new website, but I found a compatibility report in the FAZ (major German Newspaper) on an older
... See more
The Nuance Germany website has recently been updated. A few month ago there was a description that directly recommended DNS for translators and they wrote it was compatible with trados. Also my certified Nuance dealer who sold the software told me exactly the same himself - that both programs are compatible. I spefically asked him.

I have not found anything about compatibility on their new website, but I found a compatibility report in the FAZ (major German Newspaper) on an older version 8 of DNS that says Dragon is perfectly compatible with Deja Vu x:

http://www.endlich-versteht-dich-jemand.de/berichte-meinungen-anwender/spass-am-uebersetzen.htm
(this is a subdomain of Nuance)

So why shouldn't it be for SDLX in version 9.5? SDLX and DEJA Vu at least look quite similiar. I have tried to reach customer support for Dragon as well as for Trados but so far I have not received an answer (several days). I hope I can return the money I have already paid to Trados since I have not registerd or licenced my version of Trados so far. If it is not compatible I will go for Deja Vu that's for sure. But not without 100% compatibility guarantee.

[Edited at 2008-01-06 17:00]

There is also a short older thread here where somebody claims SDLX works fine with dragon.

[Edited at 2008-01-06 17:09]

[Edited at 2008-01-06 17:13]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS 9.5 and Trados SLX 2007 select and say

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »