Student users-only topic
RE: Student mentoring through Proz
Thread poster: RachelG

RachelG  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:17
German to English
Apr 1, 2008

Hi everyone!

Just joined and finding my way around this site. I have just joined as a student and saw that by joining this way there was the opportunity to be mentored by an experienced translator.

Does anyone know how I go about this? Also I would like to know how I go about getting experience.. I have a degree in German and Spanish and am in the first year of a distance-learning MA in Translation. I would be translating from English into German.

I would be grateful for any advice.

many thanks,
Rachel G. (England)

Direct link

Anna Martinez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Herzlich Willkommen, Rachel! Apr 2, 2008

Here's the link to join the Mentoring Scheme:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=exchange&exchange_area=mentoring

The only problem seems to be the lack of balance between the number of students requesting a mentor and the number of professionals offering themselves as mentors I wish it could be livened up a bit!

One good way to get some translation experience is doing voluntary (pro bono) translation work for charities. I spent a good deal of my BA doing that and I must say that it did pay off.

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/78/1/Sources-of-Pro-Bono-Translation-Work

Cheers,

Anna

[Edited at 2008-04-02 12:51]

Direct link

Silvia Fuster  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Apr 2, 2008

Thank you so much Anna, I have exactly the same problem as Rachel and as many other students of translation.

Thanx again its very helpful.

Silvia Fuster.

Direct link

Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:17
German to French
+ ...
ProZ.com Events Apr 7, 2008

Anna Martinez wrote:

The only problem seems to be the lack of balance between the number of students requesting a mentor and the number of professionals offering themselves as mentors I wish it could be livened up a bit!

Hello girls - this is a good point you just made. True, there is much demand for few offers regarding the mentorship program. One thing though : a majority professionals are not even aware that there's a student community on ProZ.
I am constantly amazed at powwows or conferences to hear : "Oh, didn't know there were students on ProZ!"
You have to realise that our Community is very recent. It was created one year ago, March 2007, and began to be the way it is now only from August/September 2007.
We are the ones who have to "educate" the professionals, if I can say it that way - meaning, we are and you are the ones who have to say "hello, we exist!"

A great way to create that visiblity for our Students Community and for you personally are ProZ.com events, such as trainings, powwow or conferences. By meeting professionals from your area, you will create that visibility and get contacts that can lead to a mentorship.
get out, meet the pros, tell them about the Students Community, tell them about you, tell them about the Mentorship Program and you may be amazed at the results!
If all of us attend one powwow and do that one time, it will already probably works wonders.
You get my message : Do not wait for things to happen, make them happen!

CheerZ,
Anne

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RE: Student mentoring through Proz

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs