https://www.proz.com/forum/studentz_forum/79085-studying_and_working_abroad%3A_lets_share_our_experience.html

Student users-only topic

Studying and working abroad: let's share our experience
Thread poster: Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 19, 2007

Have you been studying or working abroad?

Have you applied for a scholarship or are doing an internship abroad?

Are you interested in doing so in the future?

It would be nice that we could share our experience on going abroad to study or work.
Maybe some could give some tips and advise to those that are packing their bags already or would like to share any useful contact information with those that might feel like doing it very soon...

I
... See more
Have you been studying or working abroad?

Have you applied for a scholarship or are doing an internship abroad?

Are you interested in doing so in the future?

It would be nice that we could share our experience on going abroad to study or work.
Maybe some could give some tips and advise to those that are packing their bags already or would like to share any useful contact information with those that might feel like doing it very soon...

I am very keen on your sharing your anecdotes!

Later!
Sole
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:26
German to French
+ ...
abroad... Jul 20, 2007

Hi Soledad

Well, to answer your question - yes
I studied a half year long in Ireland in 2004 - a semester of English study, closed with the Cambridge ESOL exams. That was great - the college was only for foreigners stayingin Ireland and wishing to learn Engish and sit the exams. They were also Job agency and could help us with our everyday life. We were 15 students in my class, with 12 different nationalities. S
... See more
Hi Soledad

Well, to answer your question - yes
I studied a half year long in Ireland in 2004 - a semester of English study, closed with the Cambridge ESOL exams. That was great - the college was only for foreigners stayingin Ireland and wishing to learn Engish and sit the exams. They were also Job agency and could help us with our everyday life. We were 15 students in my class, with 12 different nationalities. Speak about intercultural !!!!
This year I went abroad again, doing a translation internship in Germany. That was the greatest experience ever, I learnt an endless lot and had loads of fun !
Going abroad is the greatest and the best way to learn about another culture and it broadens your horizons - plus the fun, of course, discovering, experiencing... You see things a lot differently then, once you're back home. This is really good and enriching !
Collapse

Anna Martinez
Anna Martinez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Going abroad is a must! Jul 22, 2007

Hi Soledad and Anne,

I also spent some time abroad. In fact, I applied for an Erasmus scholarship twice a few years ago, with no luck at all. A couple of years ago I just took in on myself to spend a year abroad, so I went to London, where I spent 13 months just working there, making friends, improving my English and travelling a bit. I did not take any English course there, but I learnt an awful lot anyway. And I am sure that I will repeat that experience again, sooner or later
... See more
Hi Soledad and Anne,

I also spent some time abroad. In fact, I applied for an Erasmus scholarship twice a few years ago, with no luck at all. A couple of years ago I just took in on myself to spend a year abroad, so I went to London, where I spent 13 months just working there, making friends, improving my English and travelling a bit. I did not take any English course there, but I learnt an awful lot anyway. And I am sure that I will repeat that experience again, sooner or later.

I absolutely agree with you, Anne - After having spent some time abroad, when you are back home, you are far more experienced and open-minded than you were before you left. It leaves a mark on you.
Collapse

Jasmiez
Jasmiez
Australia
Local time: 08:26
English to Italian
+ ...
Going abroad changes you Jul 22, 2007

it's like a new lens you look at reality through.
That's why I hope I'll be able to keep travelling, or, even better, I wish I'll be able to live abroad again, particularly in countries whose culture is very different from mine.

Maybe i should write this in the "whishes box", not sure... I think it would be very useful for us to have a list with translation and interpreting related courses in various countries.
Sometimes it's hard to find out about courses, (at least
... See more
it's like a new lens you look at reality through.
That's why I hope I'll be able to keep travelling, or, even better, I wish I'll be able to live abroad again, particularly in countries whose culture is very different from mine.

Maybe i should write this in the "whishes box", not sure... I think it would be very useful for us to have a list with translation and interpreting related courses in various countries.
Sometimes it's hard to find out about courses, (at least in Italy) particularly if they are not "traditional courses". At the moment, for example, I'm attending an online translation master, which is very good since I couldn't attend traditional uni classes. So, I'd be happy to share this information with you.
C U around
Sabina
Collapse

Agnieszka Skibinska (X)
Agnieszka Skibinska (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:26
English to Polish
+ ...
Studying abroad opens up your mind.. Jul 23, 2007

.. especially when you move from a totally different culture to one of Western European countries.
Studying in UK taught me another way of looking at the methods of learning and gaining knowledge. It is not only because of the different language, but absolutely different mentality and thus behaviour.
UK is like a melting-pot of cultures and has its own British culture as well. Being in UK I met people from all over the world. Once you have the ability to see how different nationaliti
... See more
.. especially when you move from a totally different culture to one of Western European countries.
Studying in UK taught me another way of looking at the methods of learning and gaining knowledge. It is not only because of the different language, but absolutely different mentality and thus behaviour.
UK is like a melting-pot of cultures and has its own British culture as well. Being in UK I met people from all over the world. Once you have the ability to see how different nationalities representants react to different situation it gives you the perspective of life from different angles and teaches you respect to others as they have various habits and act in various ways.
Also working abroad, away from family allows you to gain new skills and builds up your self-suffiency.
Summarizing, I am glad I have had the ability to move abroad and highly recommend trying that by everyone, even for a couple of months.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studying and working abroad: let's share our experience

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »