Mobile menu

Student users-only topic
Translation assessment
Thread poster: Soledad Azcona

Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 14, 2007

I was reading an article form Article Knowledgebase: Evaluation in Educational Setting for Training Purposes Theories and Application that gathers views of different authors on assessment in translation.

I know this is and important issue in translations courses, since as the author puts it in the article:"[...] it is often difficult to tell the difference between, e.g., ‘translation evaluation’, ‘translation criticism’, ‘translation assessment’, and ‘translation quality assessment' ".

Most of my teachers used to assess translations in terms of accuracy and they had a correction code, where a "meaning" error was the most serious (if you had three "Ms" you were lost), then you had "choice" mistakes, "spelling" ...and others that I don't' remember! (not that I wouldn't get them !)

With certain teachers, we devoted a lot of time in classes to discuss terminology choices, which I really liked. I felt that I learnt a lot listening to my partners and teacher exchange opinions on a word choice and learning about translation quality assessment. Though the question of whether a poorly-written or poorly-structured Source text should be reproduced as a poor Target Text was always reamained a fuzzy controversial case.

It think it would be interesting to exchange in this thread our experience as students with this issue: which are the methods used by different teachers and which variables do you use when assessing the quality of your own translations at school.

Well, hope you find this interesting!:)
See you!

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation assessment

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs