Thread poster: Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 28, 2007

Dear StudentZ,

I am so happy with the way our student member community has been growing lately, and since we are having more and more new faces around here I would like to share in this thread some of the tips on ProZ.com that here and there, through email, Skype or MSN I may have been giving to you since our first student members joined. So, this could be a nice thread for the newbies to learn more about the site and where you could all also be sharing doubts and making suggestions
... See more
Dear StudentZ,

I am so happy with the way our student member community has been growing lately, and since we are having more and more new faces around here I would like to share in this thread some of the tips on ProZ.com that here and there, through email, Skype or MSN I may have been giving to you since our first student members joined. So, this could be a nice thread for the newbies to learn more about the site and where you could all also be sharing doubts and making suggestions, helping each other to make the most out of ProZ.com.

Profiles: your window to the world

Maybe the most important tool that users and members have in the site is the profile. You should see your profile as your business card, with it you are presenting yourself to other students, translators and outsorcers, so you want it to look as good as possible. Information like your city, school, year, or student organization you belong to are important in a student profile, as a Students search feature will be released soon based on this new information.

Forums: asking, helping, learning, networking and more.

You'll notice there are forums for translators who are just starting out, like the getting Establish forum http://www.proz.com/forum/15 , and also non-English forums if you prefer to post in your native languages http://www.proz.com/forum/24. This is a good place to ask any questions and receive answers from other professionals who have many years of experience. And of course you have this forum, our student forum where you'll always be warmly welcome by our student moderator, Anne.

KudoZ: Helping each other

KudoZ is the term-help area of the site. Here you can ask term questions or give term-help to other translators in your language pair. If you answer a question and your answer is chosen, you receive KudoZ points. Gaining KudoZ points will let you to actually show your expertise and knowledge in one of many areas. Also I like to see see KudoZ as the place where you learn and help yourself by helping others, every time you answer a KudoZ question you are gaining knowledge an a given term or the use of a certain expression.

Powwows: old friends, new friends... and FUN!

A very special trait that makes Proz.com unique is the wonderful tradition of organizing powwows. Powwows are informal get-togethers of groups of ProZ.com users and the public in general living in close proximity. They provide an opportunity for networking and informal socializing among language professionals and students--a chance to meet the people behind the profiles. This weekend for example, we are celebrating the International Translator's Day with more than 50 countries all over the world!

Exchange: finding what you need, offering what you have.

The ProZ.com Translators Exchange is a system that users and members can use to offer and request books, language training, CAT tool training, travel advice and more. There you can also make a post if you are interested in participating in the mentors-apprenticeship program.

Well, I hope you find this interesting and be welcome to ask and share your espereinces in the different areas of the site.

See you around!

Sole.
Collapse

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Quick Poll! Sep 29, 2007

Hey another great feature in the site is the Quick Poll, our convenient and unscientific way for to exchange opinions!
For those who haven't spotted it: it's that small box on the right side of the home page.
Do you answer the Poll? Have you ever proposed one yourself? Do you find the questions interesting to you as students?

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:39
German to French
+ ...
thanks Sole ! Sep 29, 2007

Hey Sole, thanks for that useful topic !

To answer your question about the Quick Poll - I answer it almost everyday, cause the questions are always interesting and it's fun to see the percentages of the answers then - seeing that X% people on ProZ do the same than you, ot quite the contrary, or that 15% think like this, and 34% like that.... it's really interesting. Of course, when I don't feel concerned by the question (like e.g questions about clients or projects, because althoug
... See more
Hey Sole, thanks for that useful topic !

To answer your question about the Quick Poll - I answer it almost everyday, cause the questions are always interesting and it's fun to see the percentages of the answers then - seeing that X% people on ProZ do the same than you, ot quite the contrary, or that 15% think like this, and 34% like that.... it's really interesting. Of course, when I don't feel concerned by the question (like e.g questions about clients or projects, because although I di have some clients and some translations, I don't have enough experience in order to be able to answer).
Plus you earn BrowniZ when voting

CheerZ

Anne
Collapse

S_Angel (X)
S_Angel (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
You earn BrowniZ? Oct 6, 2007

Anne Diamantidis wrote:
Plus you earn BrowniZ when voting

Really?? I hadn't realized that... good to know!
Thanks Anne!

Sara

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Yep you do ;-) Oct 6, 2007

S_Angel wrote:

Really?? I hadn't realized that... good to know!
Thanks Anne!

Sara

Yep girl, 5 BrowniZ per poll answered
To learn more about your own BrowniZ, just click on your BrowniZ points in the box "User info" in your left upper corner

CheerZ,
Anne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some tips on ProZ.com

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »