Student users-only topic
Off topic: Movies top-five
Thread poster: Soledad Azcona

Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 26, 2007

A Friday thread:

I dare you to make a personal all-time top five movies!

I know it sounds very difficult to choose only five, but I'm sure we'll have some fun while trying!

So...which is your top five?

Direct link
Anna Martinez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is a very hard choice... Oct 27, 2007

... so I'll just list five of my favourite films of all time - not listed in order of preference, though

Good Bye Lenin!

I just love the combination of tragedy, comedy and Ostalgie.

L'auberge espagnole

Most of it was filmed in Barcelona, where I come from, and it follows the adventures of a French Erasmus student.

Blade Runner

My opinion is based on the original version - haven't seen the final cut yet!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Simply hilarious. Say no more!

The Godfather

I think this is one of the very few cases where the film is just as great as the book it is based on!

Have you seen any of these? What did you think of them? Did you like them? Did you not? And what are your favourites?

Direct link

English to Spanish
+ ...
I came up with these... Nov 2, 2007

Hard indeed! I'm a bad girl sometimes

I loved your list Anna, great choices. I haven't seen L'auberge espagnole, now it's in my list

Well, leaving many many aside I will throw mine:

Blow up, Michelangelo Antonioni - simply a genius' masterpiece

Mulholland Drive, David Lynch (AKA "El camino de los sueños") -I think I could make a top five with Lynch's movies only.

A Clockwork Orange, Stanley Kubrick -speaks for itself.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch, John Cameron Mitchell - fantastic, hilarious and tremendous soundtrack (hard choice over "The Rocky Horror..." and "Velvet Goldmine").

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, Peter Greenaway.

A bonus track? Cinema Paradiso, Giuseppe Tornatore - sorry, my inner child calling.

Direct link
Noe M  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:00
English to Spanish
The ones I don't get tired of watching over and over Nov 5, 2007

1.The exorcist
2.Suspiria (Dario Argento)
3.Poltergeist (1, 2, 3...)
4.Monty's Python's Life of Brian (I name this one not to repeat you, Anna)
5. hmmm...I don´t know which one would be...Ok, Entre Tinieblas, an Almodóvar film from the early 80s...(Don't learn Spanish with this movie!! )

[Edited at 2007-11-05 15:31]

[Edited at 2007-11-05 15:32]

Direct link

English to Spanish
+ ...
Great choices! Nov 5, 2007

Entre tinieblas! It was a hard choice to leave Almodovar out in my list.

And Poltergeist! Name a child of our generation that has not tortured him/herself with those movies! I remember watching them with my father a million times -with half covered eyes of course. I also remember that I had a clown that was so similar to the one at he movie that my mother had to hide it away as I wouldn't dare enter my bedroom!

Oh, so many memories you've brought back to me.

Thanks Noe:)

Direct link

English to Spanish
+ ...
Some subcategories Nov 20, 2007

I know I have made it very hard making it the "all time top five" movies. So, I will concede some subcategories:

After/during a great sushi banquet (delicious, wish pocket would allow this more often!) a conversation on Japanese movies sprung. I walked home still tasting those delights and making remembrances of movies from that country I've seen, and while I spoil the flavors with a cigarette I wanted to share that with you. My top five of Japanese movies would be (and not in that order):

The taste of Tea by Katsuhito ISHII -straying away from Tarantino, and still great!
Ran by Akira Kurosawa - wow!
Stray Dog by Akiro Kurosawa - Japanese film noir, cult movie.
Audition by Takashi Miike - yes, I saw it till the end.
Miyazaki's Spirited Away (here known as "El viaje de Chihiro") by Hayao Miyazaki -I still have a tender heart, you know.

Allow me a bonus track: Rashomon by Akira Kurosawa

My exploring into Japanese cinema is not that much - and I assume quite limited to what we get to learn about "down here"- but I'm sure that our international community of students here will give me a hint as to what I'm still missing .

Also, and though many of my friends are closer to the thirties than to the "teens", we had a "teenage movie" discussion -eternal teenagers. So, here goes another category! Top five of teenage movies:

The Breakfast Club by John Hughes - the teenage manifesto.
Grease by Randal Kleiser - is the word!
Empire Records by Allan Moyle -I know it's not a five star movie, but well my teens beat with this movie. We all wanted to work there!
Reality Bites , AKA "Generation X" by Ben Stiller -the "My Sharona" scene pays the movie off.
Bande à Part Jean-Luc Godard - "the alienated young trio", marvelous.

And the bonus track is... Almost Famous

Feel free to grow on these or propose new categories of course! I would love to read more about movies from your countries, really looking forward to it!

Go to bed now.

See you around!

Direct link

Kaltya  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ju ju ju... Nov 29, 2007

Wow Sole you are a master&commander in films

I also like classical movies... as I child I was in love with Cary Grant... and Katharine Hepburn was just marvelous. I can remember them together in the film "Bringing Up Baby" ("La fiera de mi niña" in Spanish) it was my favorite film...and the only one I have ever seen in original version (subtitled) thousend of times as a child...

Back to the topic, it is hard to choose but here are my 5:

- Los amantes del Círculo Polar. Julio Médem

- Y tu mamá también. Alfonso Cuarón

- Amèlie. Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

- Cidade de Deus. Fernando Meirelles & Kátia Lund

- Cars. John Lasseter &Joe Ranft

Who said the Spanish and Latin American movies don't rock????

Arf arf!!so many films in my mind... !!!!!!!!!

Direct link
Marta Scapellato  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:00
Italian to French
+ ...
My top 5 Dec 2, 2007

Hello !

It 's my first time on the student forum, I had to begin at some point and I have chosen the right one, just come back from the networking dinner of the ProZ conference in Dortmund.

There are many films I like, I am particularly keen on detective stories.

I promise to talk to you soon, meanwhile I wish you a nice weekend from Dortmund !

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Movies top-five

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs