Thread poster: Gabriela Luta
Gabriela Luta  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2007

desperately need advice

Dear all,

I didn't know whom to ask or where to post this message. So if my questions are inapropriate I am truly sorry. Nonetheless, I shall try my luck with you guys.

I am really interested in acquiring experience as a translator and I don't know where to start. We all know that when we want to look for any job, experience is required. That is why I am trying to find some work in translation or anything related to that (before I actually graduate)
So, I would really appreciate any suggestions. I don't care if I get paid or not (although I could really use the money )

Can student members find/get job offers on

Is location that important when finding a job?Because I am currently in Ireland (Limerick) but I don't think I'll have any luck here...
Thank you very much
Have a great weekend,

P.S Sorry Sole and thanx for your help

Direct link

Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
German to French
+ ...
Some ideas Oct 31, 2007

Hi girl, thanks for your message

You are raising a very important issue for us students here !
I too think it is important for students to do from time to time some little translations in accordance with their competencies.
Well, the thing is, here in France students are not really able to do so, because of the strong social protection laws - mainly we're legally not allowed to invoice, which is a bit of a problem - thanks God there are other totally legal possibilities. I'm telling you this because I just wanna warn you to be very verycareful with the legislation of your country - Ireland or Romania.
In fact, I personally advise you to do volunteer translations - a lot of NGOs are in need of that, it's perfectly transparent and legal, but you don't get paid. Have a look on the UNO website, you'll find some useful links for volunteer translators.

Hope these few ideas help !

Direct link

SylvyN  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:59
English to Dutch
+ ...
ideas Nov 23, 2007

Applying for internships helps, too, if that is at all possible during or after your studies. Maybe in the holidays? Going abroad can help your chances in that.

Does your school have a notice board with ads or anything? Sometimes you can find jobs on there.

But as Anne said, volunteering is a good idea!

Direct link
Sara Fantasticini  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Internships Nov 25, 2007

SylvyN wrote:

Applying for internships helps, too, if that is at all possible during or after your studies.

I totally agree. At my university we have to do an internship before graduating and it is a great chance to get experience and maybe find a first contact for future jobs. Personally, I had a very good experience; I learned a lot and they keep on sending me translations to do since they were satisfied with my work.

Direct link
Gabriela Luta  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanx a million Nov 25, 2007

Hey guys,

Thanx a lot for replying and for your useful ideas. I'll try to contact some NGO's and try my luck...It's just that right now I am completely busy with my exams and projects

Direct link

Parrot  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TWB and other suggestions Nov 28, 2007

We've had good feedback from Translators without Borders.

In Spain some universities have a program whereby former graduates who have established themselves or set up companies can conduct paid internships for apprentices of their choice.

I have also known a couple of topnotch outfits listed on the Blue Board who have taken in students in residence.

(Please take note, however, that this practice can be abused and that reports on the downside DO exist.)

Another possibility is to use the Exchange section to find a mentor. To best profit from such an experience, your mentor would preferrably have the same target language as you intend to work in, and should be working in the same combinations.

Hope it helps!

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

work experience as translator

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs