Michaela Bordessoule
Michaela Bordessoule
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:44
English to Czech
+ ...
Mar 29, 2008

Hi,

I would like to know your experince when working with any subtitling software if you have find a way how to incorporate SDL Trados while translating subtitles.

Thank you.

Michaela

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 00:44
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Using SRT format Mar 29, 2008

You may using the trados to translate the subtitles in SRT format directly.

1. Open the SRT file with MS WORD and save it as a WORD file.
2. Use trados to translate the word file , keep in mind that the time-coding should not be translated.
3. Clean up the Word and save it as a TXT file. Then Rename it as a srt file.

Michaela Bordessoule wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know your experince when working with any subtitling software if you have find a way how to incorporate SDL Trados while translating subtitles.

Thank you.

Michaela

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:44
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Any CAT tool should work Mar 29, 2008

Subtitles are (usually) text files. You can open most if not all of these files (e.g. SSA, TXT, SRT...) with Windows Notepad, hence Word as well.

I don't know about Trados, but WordFast will skip over all timecodes.

One thing you have to be extra careful is that most of these files also have settings in the text. This is the beginning of a SSA (SubStation Alpha) file:

[Script Info]
Title:
Original Script: BR
ScriptType: v4.00

[V4 Styles]
Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, TertiaryColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, AlphaLevel, Encoding
Style: Default,Arial Rounded MT-1,36,65535,16777215,16777215,0,-1,0,1,2,2,2,50,50,40,0,0

[Events]
Format: Marked, Start, End, Style, Name, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Effect, Text
Dialogue: Marked=0,0:00:00.08,0:00:03.84,Default,NTP,0000,0000,0000,!Effect,{\i1}Our company has ...

[the beginning of the actual first subtitle text is shown in bold above - each subtitle has all that "stuff" that precedes it here, and includes the in/out times]

Be careful not to touch any of these settings, at least during translation. Later, if you know what they mean, you may edit them to get some useful effects.

Michaela Bordessoule
Michaela Bordessoule
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:44
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can I widen your valuable information? May 13, 2008

Dear Jing

Thank you for your reply. Interesting to know that Trados and subtitling can be interconnected.
I have already made some search to find out, that SubRip (STR format) is possible to download for free. But Wikipedia info also tell me for using SubRip you must have installed on your CP AviSynth and MPGDec for DVDs. Since I am using MultiSubtliteler Freelance program I am entirely sure these programmes are compatible. Also from this particular client I receive documents
... See more
Dear Jing

Thank you for your reply. Interesting to know that Trados and subtitling can be interconnected.
I have already made some search to find out, that SubRip (STR format) is possible to download for free. But Wikipedia info also tell me for using SubRip you must have installed on your CP AviSynth and MPGDec for DVDs. Since I am using MultiSubtliteler Freelance program I am entirely sure these programmes are compatible. Also from this particular client I receive documents as a video file, when on the right is a video and on the left are listed subtitles, which are being translated into the space under the video. And what I would like to do as well is to use WinAlign for my last subtitling projects.

As you seems to be experinced in this field it will be great to hear from you.

Michaela

Jing Nie wrote:

You may using the trados to translate the subtitles in SRT format directly.

1. Open the SRT file with MS WORD and save it as a WORD file.
2. Use trados to translate the word file , keep in mind that the time-coding should not be translated.
3. Clean up the Word and save it as a TXT file. Then Rename it as a srt file.

Michaela Bordessoule wrote:

Hi,

Thank you.

Michaela
Collapse

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 00:44
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Save the subtitles as SRT. May 19, 2008

I just read your thread today.

Jose is correct , almost all formats of subtitles can be translated using Trados. I did not know that until Jose pointed it out.

I figured out you want to make a TM for your subtitle translation this time.

It is very simple.

1.Save your subtitles into SRT format.

2.Then open the SRT files using MS WORD, save your SRT files into WORD format .

3.You can use Winalign now. But you
... See more
I just read your thread today.

Jose is correct , almost all formats of subtitles can be translated using Trados. I did not know that until Jose pointed it out.

I figured out you want to make a TM for your subtitle translation this time.

It is very simple.

1.Save your subtitles into SRT format.

2.Then open the SRT files using MS WORD, save your SRT files into WORD format .

3.You can use Winalign now. But you must make sure that the original subtitle and the translated subtitle have same number of segments.

As Jose mentioned , Trados will neglect all timecodes . So the result of your Winalign will not include any timecodes.

If you like to know more information about how to rip the subtitles and more about Avisynth, you can visit www.videohelp.com as Jose recommended in past threads.

[修改时间: 2008-05-19 13:18]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling and Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »