Starting off in sub-titling
Thread poster: Suzana Marques
Suzana Marques
Suzana Marques
Local time: 17:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 15, 2008

Hi, I've been a translator for 14 years now and would like to start translating movies, dvd's etc. How do I go about that? What kind of software would I need? Any suggestions? Thank you

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:05
French to Spanish
+ ...
Hi. Apr 15, 2008

"Hi, I've been a translator for 14 years now and would like to start translating movies, dvd's etc. How do I go about that? What kind of software would I need? Any suggestions? Thank you."

1.- Please see other contributions in this forum;
2.- Do you want to just translate or translate and subtitle?;
a) translate only. Client will give you what we call a spotting list [Time In, Time Out and text you have to translate] and a DVD or a compressed file of the motion pict
... See more
"Hi, I've been a translator for 14 years now and would like to start translating movies, dvd's etc. How do I go about that? What kind of software would I need? Any suggestions? Thank you."

1.- Please see other contributions in this forum;
2.- Do you want to just translate or translate and subtitle?;
a) translate only. Client will give you what we call a spotting list [Time In, Time Out and text you have to translate] and a DVD or a compressed file of the motion picture. That's "easy". If no spotting list available, just a "dialogue list", he'll have to give you a software [or you find one: Subtitle Workshop is for free and quite good] and then you are in trouble. You'll have to insert Time In and Time Out and translate [and adapt: we are the only translators paid NOT to translate everything because lack of time for reading]... all this almost BY EAR. If no dialogue list, big trouble. Everything BY EAR. If you are good at it, 3/4 days for a motion picture!
b) translate and subtitle. Very tough. You need several softwares to do it. One to decrypt the DVD [extract video and audio files. DVD Decrypter is for free], one to compress those files [make them easy to manipulate: a DVD "weights" 3/4 Gigas. DVD2avi is for free], one to join video and audio files, then Subtitle Workshop to do what said in a) and finaly one to "write" subtitles in video/audio files [DVDLabPro is for free]. You'll need, of course, a good computer with a big RAM and ROM memory and a DVD burner.

Basicaly, that's it.

But...

3.- You'll need excellent language skills to understand slang and idioms... and render them into target language... with no time to do it, as said: human brain can read xxx caracter per second, so, you can't translate everything. You must be sure that "the idea" passes.

Very good luck.

[Editado a las 2008-04-15 18:37]
Collapse

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 00:05
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aegisub seems better in timecueing Apr 16, 2008

Hi Juan,

I just installed Aegisub. And I am learning to handle it.

[Aegisub has a fairly advanced, customizable audio mode with both the traditional waveform display as well as an alternative spectrum display. Several different timing modes are available for both normal dialog timing and karaoke timing. ]

If you tried it ?

Juan Jacob wrote:

That's "easy". If no spotting list available, just a "dialogue list", he'll have to give you a software [or you find one: Subtitle Workshop is for free and quite good] and then you are in trouble. You'll have to insert Time In and Time Out and translate [and adapt: we are the only translators paid NOT to translate everything because lack of time for reading]... all this almost BY EAR. If no dialogue list, big trouble. Everything BY EAR. If you are good at it, 3/4 days for a motion picture!

[Editado a las 2008-04-15 18:37]

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:05
Polish to English
+ ...
DVDLabPro -- have you actually done that? Apr 16, 2008

Juan Jacob wrote:

(...)

what said in a) and finaly one to "write" subtitles in video/audio files [DVDLabPro is for free]. You'll need, of course, a good computer with a big RAM and ROM memory and a DVD burner.

Hi Juan,

The above fragment in your response has made me thinking. For the purposes of local niche movie shows, I have translated around 15 films during the last 3 years. In all cases I get them as DVDs with English subtitles, and I output them as AVIs with my native language subtitles hardcodded. I have used the following process:

1) DVD->harddisk (DVDDecrypter)
2) VOB->AVI (AutoGK) and VOB->English txt .srt (SubRip)
3) English txt .srt -> my native text .srt (Subtitle Workshop in 'translator mode')
4) VOB + my native text .srt -> hardsubbed AVI (AutoGK)

Above you wrote that DVDLabPro makes it possible to add subtitles to a DVD instead of hardsubbing them onto an AVI. Is that so? I remember trying this with DVDLabPro like 3 years ago, and it would not work then. Have you actually succeeded doing this? If yes, would you kindly explain the procedure? AVI is acceptable for my small cinema with regard to quality, but DVD with selectable subtitles would make the output much more professional.

Apart from that, are there any other improvements you would suggest to the above process? Especially tricky is ripping .srt from VOB using SubRip, as it uses OCR and is quite unreliable (often "i", "l" and "!" get mixed). I got to live with it somehow, but maybe it might be improved...

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:05
French to Spanish
+ ...
Hi all. Apr 16, 2008

Jing... that's really a coincidence... somebody told me yesterday about Aegisub... I have it now in my computer and try it one of these days. Thank you very much.
Adam... I'll write privatly to you, if you don't mind... these are quite technical issues in wich probably others mau not be interested.
See y'around.

Rusalka (X)
Rusalka (X)
Local time: 09:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Questions re: Subtitling Price and Format.... Jul 9, 2008

Hello all,

I have a potential "gig" translating approximately 10 hours of documentary footage from Spanish to English. The potential employer wants this translation timecoded and so far has only mentioned sending the DVDs. No mention of format yet.

I have translated film scripts before and have transcribed a film from it's original Spanish to English (I was told they would use this for subtitle purposes) but I've never worked with timecode.

My questions a
... See more
Hello all,

I have a potential "gig" translating approximately 10 hours of documentary footage from Spanish to English. The potential employer wants this translation timecoded and so far has only mentioned sending the DVDs. No mention of format yet.

I have translated film scripts before and have transcribed a film from it's original Spanish to English (I was told they would use this for subtitle purposes) but I've never worked with timecode.

My questions are:
What would be an average estimate?
Would 6.00 USD per minute be reasonable?
Can this translation be done in Word?
Or are other programs necessary?
If in Word, how would the timecoded text look like?
Would I mark each line with hour/minute/second???

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

-R
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting off in sub-titling

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »