Can communication between the translator and production company / agency take place purely by email?
Thread poster: Kate Warren
Kate Warren
Kate Warren  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2008

I have just got back from a wonderful trip to Australia and dream of going back there to live. I wonder whether a career in Spanish to English translation in the film, TV and DVD industry would be possible down under? Just starting out with my research, I have no idea - can communication between the translator and production company / agency take place purely by email? Would such a big time lag be prohibitive to the employer?

Many thanks for your help with this.

[Subject
... See more
I have just got back from a wonderful trip to Australia and dream of going back there to live. I wonder whether a career in Spanish to English translation in the film, TV and DVD industry would be possible down under? Just starting out with my research, I have no idea - can communication between the translator and production company / agency take place purely by email? Would such a big time lag be prohibitive to the employer?

Many thanks for your help with this.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-06-12 11:36]
Collapse

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
Local time: 16:38
German to English
Try contacting other prozians Jun 12, 2008

You might want to search the directory for prozians based in Oceania and try contacting them directly about their experiences working with European and Us clients.

Kate Warren
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestion Jun 12, 2008

mmihano4 (X)
mmihano4 (X)
Local time: 16:38
English to Croatian
+ ...
yes it is Jun 12, 2008

I communicate with 2 of my major clients only through email

Allesklar
Allesklar  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:08
English to German
+ ...
me too Jun 16, 2008

Over the last 3 years, about 75% of my work came from overseas agencies whom I only ever communicated with via email.

The advantages and disadvantages of the time difference just about cancel each other
out. Sometimes I miss jobs because of it, sometimes it enables me to do their night shift.

I don't know much about the market in your language pair in that particular field, but I would guess that getting started might be easier while you are closer to the action.
... See more
Over the last 3 years, about 75% of my work came from overseas agencies whom I only ever communicated with via email.

The advantages and disadvantages of the time difference just about cancel each other
out. Sometimes I miss jobs because of it, sometimes it enables me to do their night shift.

I don't know much about the market in your language pair in that particular field, but I would guess that getting started might be easier while you are closer to the action. Once your clients know and trust you, they probably won't mind emailing the jobs to you wherever you are.
Collapse

Kate Warren
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Allesklar Jun 17, 2008

; )

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Video material via DVD Jun 17, 2008

I communicate with most of my clients via e-mail, even local ones, but video is a problem: files are huge!

If you are just translating, and maybe spotting, the client can send you smaller-frame videos via e-mail. But this means more work (conversion) on their side, which will lower your 'score' relative to translators physically closer, who can quickly get a copy of the DVD or files on a disk.

I do the whole job, i.e. subtitling, outsourced dubbing, DVD authoring. So I
... See more
I communicate with most of my clients via e-mail, even local ones, but video is a problem: files are huge!

If you are just translating, and maybe spotting, the client can send you smaller-frame videos via e-mail. But this means more work (conversion) on their side, which will lower your 'score' relative to translators physically closer, who can quickly get a copy of the DVD or files on a disk.

I do the whole job, i.e. subtitling, outsourced dubbing, DVD authoring. So I need the whole disk at the best possible quality. To download a few gigabytes is not only a matter of your connrection speed, but also how busy your client's servers are; and there is the return trip to consider as well. So messenger/mail/courier is often a must. This may cause delays.
Collapse

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 17:38
Estonian to English
+ ...
always Jun 17, 2008

I think in international subtitling 99% of the communication is taking place via e-mail.
All of the big translation agencies have their own servers where videos can be downloaded from and other materials are distributed also through the servers or by e-mail.
Even local companies try to save costs by letting translators work home, as subtitling software has become dongle-based. Old versions of Screen came with a special keyboard and a computer that was essential for the software to r
... See more
I think in international subtitling 99% of the communication is taking place via e-mail.
All of the big translation agencies have their own servers where videos can be downloaded from and other materials are distributed also through the servers or by e-mail.
Even local companies try to save costs by letting translators work home, as subtitling software has become dongle-based. Old versions of Screen came with a special keyboard and a computer that was essential for the software to run, so working at home was not an option. It is usual for translators working in the same company to see one another (and to see their client managers) once a year during the Xmas party. In international companies you would never see your office managers, as they are usually located in India or Los Angeles.
So in subtitle translation 99% of the work can be handled from Antarctica if you have an Internet connection there. José's case of doing everything professionally himself is a big exception.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I'm an exception, I know Jun 17, 2008

I work half-mostly with corporate video, i.e. institutional, training, technical, and for companies that don't produce these themselves. These want a turn-key service, the finished DVD.

The other half of my work is for video dubbing/subtitling studios, who just want the translation; they'll take it from there. They usually do the spotting, with a sesquilingual internal operator.

[Btw, some translators may wonder how this operator does it, but they manage. I could easily
... See more
I work half-mostly with corporate video, i.e. institutional, training, technical, and for companies that don't produce these themselves. These want a turn-key service, the finished DVD.

The other half of my work is for video dubbing/subtitling studios, who just want the translation; they'll take it from there. They usually do the spotting, with a sesquilingual internal operator.

[Btw, some translators may wonder how this operator does it, but they manage. I could easily - and have done it - spot a video in three other languages I speak, but from/into which I don't translate.]

I think that by this time large video producers/distributors should have some YouTube-like contrivance for translating videos anywhere in the world. With a DVD being able to host up to 32 different subtitle streams, it makes sense to centralize the production of complete masters. Later they can shortlist the subtitle sets and Region-encrypt the disks.
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
As jbjb said.... Jun 20, 2008

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
I think that by this time large video producers/distributors should have some YouTube-like contrivance for translating videos anywhere in the world.

You get the code and download it from their server. In the main time you make a cup of coffee.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can communication between the translator and production company / agency take place purely by email?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »