Mobile menu

Subtitling/CCing university undergraduate or post-graduate courses
Thread poster: Mara Campbell

Mara Campbell
Local time: 07:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 30, 2008

I'm trying to find informatin on the Internet about this and It's harder than I thought.

Does anybody know about a university that offers undergraduate / graduate or even post-graduate / master studies in subtitling and/or closed captioning? They may be anywhere in the world and be dictated in English or Spanish.
I don't want a short course that lasts a few weeks/months, I'm looking for a university degree, a few years or something.

Thanks for the help!

[Edited at 2008-11-30 16:37 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Gabriela Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Postgrado de Traducción Audiovisual Dec 2, 2008

Hi Mara,
Maybe this link will help you

[Edited at 2008-12-02 17:32 GMT]

United Kingdom
Local time: 11:29
+ ...
At least three in UK Dec 3, 2008

The University of Sheffield offers a MA in screen translation as does the University of Leeds and the University of Guildford, although I think the Guildford course might be monolingual.

Tia Muller  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:29
Member (Mar 2016)
English to French
+ ...
Roehampton University Jan 28, 2009

I'm currently taking the MA in Audiovisual Translation at Roehampton University, near London. The course consists of 2 mandatory classes (Subtitling/Surtitling and Translation Theory) and 2 optional classes among Subtitle for Deaf and Hard of Hearing with Audiodescription, Dubbing/Voice-Over/Video Game, Translation Tools, Children's literature and Screen writing.
The course is taught by professionals so most of the classes take place in the evening allowing students to have a job during the day. The course is over one year. I thoroughly enjoy it and highly recommend it to anyone with a passion for languages and computers. Indeed, we learn to use many different softwares and learn to do translations with language tutors who, once again, are all professionals.

I hope this helps,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling/CCing university undergraduate or post-graduate courses

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs